BPAS PODCAST: 31st Oct '22, S3:E13: Start Giving Us Extra

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Semantics.  Possibly

Why would the previous owner have wanted us liquidating rather than sell the club for a sum of money (substantial amount of money if you believe the £12m quoted!)

Just now, PeteG said:

Why would the previous owner have wanted us liquidating rather than sell the club for a sum of money (substantial amount of money if you believe the £12m quoted!)

Yep, Al got £12m.  If it had gone into admin the decision would not have been his

19 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

I honestly don't understand the obsession with 442. I could understand wanting a back 4 rather than a back 3/5. But why 442? Do many successful teams play that any more? We don't have either the wingers or the midfielders for it.

funny init.

we shud sack Rhino, put Joe in Charge, move the KO to 3:15pm, play 442, sign Ian Marshall and make all the players smoke 20 a day, drink 8 pints of mild and eat nothing but puddin on a muffin all day, every day, every damn day.

21 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

I honestly don't understand the obsession with 442. I could understand wanting a back 4 rather than a back 3/5. But why 442? Do many successful teams play that any more? We don't have either the wingers or the midfielders for it.

Nostalgia probably.

It's just not the skeleton key to unlocking this squad that people think.

21 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

It's not an obsession, but 4-4-2 is straight-forward, balanced and can be entertaining to watch.

I couldn't care less what formation we play as long as it gets results and (to a lesser extent at this stage) is enjoyable to watch.  At the moment, the way Big Dave is setting us up is getting neither of those things and I don't think we should be writing off all games between now and when (if..) he gets "his" players in...

31 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Unsworth would ideally play 4-3-3.

4 minutes ago, JoeP said:

It's not an obsession, but 4-4-2 is straight-forward, balanced and can be entertaining to watch.

I couldn't care less what formation we play as long as it gets results and (to a lesser extent at this stage) is enjoyable to watch.  At the moment, the way Big Dave is setting us up is getting neither of those things and I don't think we should be writing off all games between now and when (if..) he gets "his" players in...

Doesnt matter what formation we play, poor players = poor team = poor results.

I played football up until 47 years of age.... a few decent players with 8 bad ones is still going to struggle.

Let unsworth change the players, if it takes until the summer then thats what we have.

If we can bring in some now then good.

Just now, Dave_Og said:

they fought it

The way the stadium had been neglected, a complete lack of corporate and sponsorship income, and a significant drop in season ticket sales all at a time the playing squad needed replenishing coupled with a total lack of interest from the owners, I don’t think liquidation was too far away!

Anyone describing our system as resembling a 3-5-2 needs their head testing along with Unsworth, it's a 5-4-1 at best and generally a 7-2-1.

I don't personally care how we set up it's Unsworths lack of tactical awareness that bothers me, he uses players fitness as an excuse when the reality is most teams after showing us half hour of respect work us out, adjust accordingly and generally go on to get something out of the game, that's where your manager earns his salt, something Joe Royle and Willie were very good at even in the late 80's and early 90's, teams are seeing us sit in and just commit more men forward, when we win the ball back they know they will have time to get back in and reorganise because there is no urgency in our forward play nor was there any pace up front prior to the Halifax game. We are predictable, slow and easy to play against and it will change when we have more of an attacking threat and midfielders who can firstly keep the ball and secondly do something with it, teams are not worried about us going forward and the second goal against Yeovil is a prime example as they committed literally everyman forward in search of the equaliser and we just about did them on the counter despite ending up with about four on one.

They'll back Unsworth now as they should but he needs to have a look at himself sometimes as tactically I think he is naive, what struck me in this league is the quality of manager particularly at clubs like Dorking and Wealdstone, clubs operating on  budgets much smaller than ours but these guys know the time of day and work us out, just because you've played for Everton and England counts for fuck all when your in the dugout particularly at this level and his body language and attitude at Altrincham was shocking for me and if a player behaved in that way you'd never want him to pull on the shirt again, probably reasons behind it but I didn't like it.

Since Shez has gone we are worse and that's a fact and that is the big worry for me.

13 minutes ago, maximus1267 said:

Doesnt matter what formation we play, poor players = poor team = poor results.

I played football up until 47 years of age.... a few decent players with 8 bad ones is still going to struggle.

Let unsworth change the players, if it takes until the summer then thats what we have.

If we can bring in some now then good.

As long as the summer isn't spent preparing for our first season in National League North.

It's about quality of players, but it's also getting the best out of what you've got - getting enough people on board to make your approach effective and I'm not convinced this is happening at the moment.

19 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

i mut make better use of the sarcasm emoji.  It was @PeteG who said the club was sold for £12m which is obviously bollocks

I have never said it was sold for £12m, that's the figure that's been put out, quite frankly i think it's laughable that people believe the new owner has spent that. I also believe it's bollocks we were days from going out of business. I don't know why they are peddling this shit, is it to cover their own shortfalls?

1 minute ago, PeteG said:

I have never said it was sold for £12m, that's the figure that's been put out, quite frankly i think it's laughable that people believe the new owner has spent that. I also believe it's bollocks we were days from going out of business. I don't know why they are peddling this shit, is it to cover their own shortfalls?

Any update on the court case Pete? 

2 minutes ago, JoeP said:

As long as the summer isn't spent preparing for our first season in National League North.

It's about quality of players, but it's also getting the best out of what you've got - getting enough people on board to make your approach effective and I'm not convinced this is happening at the moment.

I agree but if you watch some of those players they are extremely poor, Threlkheld cant make a simple pass, has no vision to move the ball forward quickly, there are others with similar traits.

All unsworth can do is use what he as at the minute until he weeds out the rubbish and replaces them but we are 3 months into a season so not that easy to just get rid of players.

Archived