BPAS PODCAST: 31st Oct '22, S3:E13: Start Giving Us Extra

Matt and Dave are joined by Adam Keeley and Jack Millar to discuss another poor performance and disappointing result. What are the club going to do to stop us falling into the relegation zone? Our Andy chats with Andy Walsh from the FSA about the result of the proposed merger to revive football in Bury. There is some big PTB news and Jack has a crack  at Laticsmind. 

To support the pod by paying a monthly subscription of just £2.99 via this link https://anchor.fm/bp-alert/subscribe. All the regular episodes will remain free to everyone. You can now also listen to the Latics Football Phone In as a podcast every Thursday morning from 7am.

You can also support us by visiting https://www.oafcpodcast.co.uk, subscribing to our mailing list and purchasing from our online shop.

Follow the show on Twitter, Instagram & Facebook @oafcpodcast. Please subscribe to our YouTube channel here

Download and listen to the podcast via the FanHub app, where content creators and fans alike are rewarded for getting involved #ctg.

You can find out more about Push The Boundary by visiting them at www.pushtheboundary.co.uk and following on Twitter @PTB_OAFC. Find out more about OASF at www.oasf.co.uk where you can also donate to the 1895 Fund.

Title music is by Manchester DJ and producer Starion find out more at www.redlaserrecords.bandcamp.com

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A sombre listen, as the consensus seems to be that a play-off surge is beyond you, without huge changes of personnel. Looking at the bottom end of the table, fourth bottom look on course for about 40 points. I think that figure will go up, but maybe not by much given that the top six are all on target for 75 plus and 7th place not much less. 

The better the top clubs do, the more it helps you, probably, as it will depress the points gained at the other end. I think the new ownership, your spending power and your support should give you a bit of an edge. But it may be a bit uncomfortable, and my sense is that there will need to be a major squad reconstruction if you are to match what Southend are doing  in their second season.

Final thing, full marks to the four lads at PTB for knowing when to bow out. To be able to act without ego in that way is quite rare, so to have four guys deciding to do so together is a pretty remarkable thing. You are very lucky to have them.

17 minutes ago, basilrobbie said:

A sombre listen, as the consensus seems to be that a play-off surge is beyond you, without huge changes of personnel. Looking at the bottom end of the table, fourth bottom look on course for about 40 points. I think that figure will go up, but maybe not by much given that the top six are all on target for 75 plus and 7th place not much less. 

The better the top clubs do, the more it helps you, probably, as it will depress the points gained at the other end. I think the new ownership, your spending power and your support should give you a bit of an edge. But it may be a bit uncomfortable, and my sense is that there will need to be a major squad reconstruction if you are to match what Southend are doing  in their second season.

Final thing, full marks to the four lads at PTB for knowing when to bow out. To be able to act without ego in that way is quite rare, so to have four guys deciding to do so together is a pretty remarkable thing. You are very lucky to have them.

Appreciate your Kind words Robbie. Thanks for your help along the way! 

I listen to all your podcasts but one thing really got me thinking during this episode.

Dave says " fans have had enough " 

Then goes on to mention the system and manager, also says he came away thinking how shit it was and whether he wants to go again.

3 months into the new season with new owners, a manager who came in after the season started who has brought in a very experienced back room staff, a board and new owners we were crying out for, boycotting, invading the pitch, going on bbc news, Talksport, raising contingency funds, organised events and having planes fly over BP.

And we've had enough already.

If fans are genuinely feeling like this we do not deserve our club.

The players are poor, the system the manager plays will be his choice no matter which manager comes in, managers dont pick teams or systems because us fans say so.

Do we keep changing manager until one plays 442, I prefer that system but football has changed so we have to understand new coaching and systems are not the ones big Joe used in the 80s & 90s.

Unsworth has come into a club that almost died, give him and the board some slack eh.

I hate we are crap and I hate where we are but some sense and brain matter needs applying by us fans.

Some of us sound like that spoilt kid who wants everything NOW.

Other than that good listen 👍

23 minutes ago, maximus1267 said:

I listen to all your podcasts but one thing really got me thinking during this episode.

Dave says " fans have had enough " 

Then goes on to mention the system and manager, also says he came away thinking how shit it was and whether he wants to go again.

3 months into the new season with new owners, a manager who came in after the season started who has brought in a very experienced back room staff, a board and new owners we were crying out for, boycotting, invading the pitch, going on bbc news, Talksport, raising contingency funds, organised events and having planes fly over BP.

And we've had enough already.

If fans are genuinely feeling like this we do not deserve our club.

The players are poor, the system the manager plays will be his choice no matter which manager comes in, managers dont pick teams or systems because us fans say so.

Do we keep changing manager until one plays 442, I prefer that system but football has changed so we have to understand new coaching and systems are not the ones big Joe used in the 80s & 90s.

Unsworth has come into a club that almost died, give him and the board some slack eh.

I hate we are crap and I hate where we are but some sense and brain matter needs applying by us fans.

Some of us sound like that spoilt kid who wants everything NOW.

Other than that good listen 👍

Regardless of the above, we should be doing a lot better than we are ? Should we accept being shit just because we have new owners, I don’t think so.

Unsworth is stubborn and shows it more each game. 

Shez and Tommy alone got more out of this lot. 

If the only system that the players feel comfortable playing is 4-4-2 (and their isn't really any evidence to suggest their is) then they shouldn't be at the club or any other club for that matter. It's really not that difficult to play a different system.

The other issue here is that to play 4-4-2 effectively you need to wide players. We can play tolitt from the left who will come in wide right? Stobbs? He's probably the only player who could play that position remotely effectively is he the solution to our problems?

It's seems rather nostalgic that if we start playing 4-4-2 it will suddenly click but I'm not sure it will. Teams up and down the land at every level play different formations certainly alot more so than 20-30 years ago where everyone played 4-4-2. players should be able to adapt its not that difficult. The players need to adapt to the manager if they can't they need to go.

5 minutes ago, maximus1267 said:

So I am led to believe unless you know otherwise.

If this is untrue everything else still stands regarding the decline of the club, terrible ownership etc etc etc

Well there were no winding up petitions or court dates lined up so I'm not sure I believe the narrative of being "days from liquidation..."

11 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Regardless of the above, we should be doing a lot better than we are ? Should we accept being shit just because we have new owners, I don’t think so.

Unsworth is stubborn and shows it more each game. 

Shez and Tommy alone got more out of this lot. 

We have listened to the podcast interview fans and trusts of numerous other clubs who have suffered our fate and worse.

Some have bounced back and are now competing again, some higher than league 2.

All these people interviewed warned us this is not a quick fix, it will take time and to have patience.

After 3 months we seem to have forgotten the advice we sought.

Unsworth is stubborn because he wont budge under the pressure of fans, perhaps he feels that with the players we have available its the safest system, we cant all agree and we all want better yes.

Just now, Lee Sinnott said:

Well there were no winding up petitions or court dates lined up so I'm not sure I believe the narrative of being "days from liquidation..."

Whether this is true or not we were in a terrible place on and definately off the pitch. 

I dread to think how much worse things would be if we still had AL and co here.

2 minutes ago, maximus1267 said:

Whether this is true or not we were in a terrible place on and definately off the pitch. 

I dread to think how much worse things would be if we still had AL and co here.

Off the pitch, certainly, but I'm not sure we'd be lower than 19th even under previous owners...

It does make me laugh how Shez was called a dinosaur by all and sundry, and his successor is getting slaughtered because he wont play four four fuckin' two!

I remember listening to the podcast after the Wrexham game and they were banging on about how Unsworth's influence was obvious and things were miles better, with a coaching set up that many league clubs would envy. A few games later he's getting it all wrong and has to change.

1 minute ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Off the pitch, certainly, but I'm not sure we'd be lower than 19th even under previous owners...

Well its something we can only guess at, we dont know what or where we would be under AL.

Im gusseing a million times worse than now.

1 hour ago, GlossopLatic said:

If the only system that the players feel comfortable playing is 4-4-2 (and their isn't really any evidence to suggest their is) then they shouldn't be at the club or any other club for that matter. It's really not that difficult to play a different system.

The other issue here is that to play 4-4-2 effectively you need to wide players. We can play tolitt from the left who will come in wide right? Stobbs? He's probably the only player who could play that position remotely effectively is he the solution to our problems?

It's seems rather nostalgic that if we start playing 4-4-2 it will suddenly click but I'm not sure it will. Teams up and down the land at every level play different formations certainly alot more so than 20-30 years ago where everyone played 4-4-2. players should be able to adapt its not that difficult. The players need to adapt to the manager if they can't they need to go.

Probably not, but they're here and we're stuck with them so lets play a formation that they're comfortable with, eh?

Football at this level in particular is a simple game and we've been blessed with even simpler footballers at this club.  Why is Unsworth overcomplicating it?  

No one knows if 4-4-2 will suddenly click, but the evidence so far suggests whatever stupid-arse formation Unsworth has been playing isn't going to click either...

1 hour ago, Steve_R said:

It does make me laugh how Shez was called a dinosaur by all and sundry, and his successor is getting slaughtered because he wont play four four fuckin' two!

I remember listening to the podcast after the Wrexham game and they were banging on about how Unsworth's influence was obvious and things were miles better, with a coaching set up that many league clubs would envy. A few games later he's getting it all wrong and has to change.

I'm very concerned that performances aren't improving and results are crap, but I'm a whole lot more relaxed with someone like Unsworth in charge than I was in September when we still had Sheri here...

1 hour ago, maximus1267 said:

Well its something we can only guess at, we dont know what or where we would be under AL.

Im gusseing a million times worse than now.

Well we could only be 5 places lower tbf

1 hour ago, Lee Sinnott said:

If a winding up order had been issued and the then directors hadn't fought it then we'd have effectively been gone.  Do you think they'd have fought tooth and nail to save it?

I honestly don't understand the obsession with 442. I could understand wanting a back 4 rather than a back 3/5. But why 442? Do many successful teams play that any more? We don't have either the wingers or the midfielders for it.

3 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

If a winding up order had been issued and the then directors hadn't fought it then we'd have effectively been gone.  Do you think they'd have fought tooth and nail to save it?

No I don't. But it didn't happen so we were never "days from liquidation..."

1 minute ago, Lee Sinnott said:

No I don't. But it didn't happen so we were never "days from liquidation..."

depends how many days... It's entirely possible that we were days away from the commencement of a process that could only end one way

Archived