National League Thread

1 hour ago, Monty Burns said:

as possibly his biggest blind backer and potential love child theory let me be the first to say l'd be stunned if he ever manages again. but l'm often stunned by Football, that's why l love it!

When Dean Holden left here several years ago I thought he'd never work in the game again, he's since gone on and held a number of jobs higher up the ladder, granted he's done absolutely fuck all in any of them. He must turn on the bullshit in the interviews.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

When Dean Holden left here several years ago I thought he'd never work in the game again, he's since gone on and held a number of jobs higher up the ladder, granted he's done absolutely fuck all in any of them. He must turn on the bullshit in the interviews.

that was prime 'we cant afford to get promoted' territory wasnt it!! 

theres Latics fans still think Lee Jonson somehow stitched us up and is a go off. Corney could sell snake oil to snakes.

• 2 weeks later...

Past a third of the season gone now.  I guess just on league positions we are one of the big under-performers but who has done significantly better/worse than might have been expected?

Outperforming for me could be Gateshead and Halifax, maybe Aldershot, while Dorking being comfortably mid-table has to be a decent effort.  Ignoring the points deduction, Southend would be 4th which is some effort for a club that was very much on the brink  .

Don't think the bottom four holds many surprises but I doubt that York and Boreham Wood expected to be just above the line

13 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Past a third of the season gone now.  I guess just on league positions we are one of the big under-performers but who has done significantly better/worse than might have been expected?

Outperforming for me could be Gateshead and Halifax, maybe Aldershot, while Dorking being comfortably mid-table has to be a decent effort.  Ignoring the points deduction, Southend would be 4th which is some effort for a club that was very much on the brink  .

Don't think the bottom four holds many surprises but I doubt that York and Boreham Wood expected to be just above the line

Would’ve expected Woking to be nearer the top as well as Boreham Wood.

Be interesting to see how Gateshead do without Williamson.

1 hour ago, Dave_Og said:

Dorkings continued rise is just outstanding. l bet they cant get promoted to the league bc the managers got no badges 🙄

what a story that would be. one of the best ever l'd say.

2 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

Dorkings continued rise is just outstanding. l bet they cant get promoted to the league bc the managers got no badges 🙄

what a story that would be. one of the best ever l'd say.

Their stadium won't meet requirements either. But the badges thing is a better story.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

Their stadium won't meet requirements either. But the badges thing is a better story.

For all the PL's faults they've never pulled up the drawbridge or cited ground regulations to deny a  promotion- as them allowing Luton up this season demonstrates

4 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

For all the PL's faults they've never pulled up the drawbridge or cited ground regulations to deny a  promotion- as them allowing Luton up this season demonstrates

As long as they have the money to bring the stadium up to standard.

4 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

l proper hated seeing fulham (and others) play in the prem for years with standing 🤬🤬🤬

infact l hated fulham until l went there and spoke to about a hundred of their fans and l couldnt find a wanker anywhere. lovely place.

7 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Didn’t we have to put seats in the Chaddy to gain entry?

5 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

within two years but we did it anyway instead of buying players and there was the beginning of the end.

not jus the chaddy. lookers paddock, george hill paddock and the full Jimmy Friz needed building.

Edited by Monty Burns
added

32 minutes ago, sjk2008 said:

As long as they have the money to bring the stadium up to standard.

That stadium will never be brought up to standard as they've started building the new one. But undersoil heating requirements were waived. That's going to be controversial if they get a fixture pile up because of the lack of it

1 hour ago, oafc1955 said:

47 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

That was law, not PL rules

It was, but it wasn't required immediately. I think you had a timescale and I always thought we were too hasty to stick seats in there right away. The paddocks on either side remained standing terraces and weren't seated until we were relegated in 1994 (I think).

For me, the ground lost something as soon as seats went into the Chaddy. Given that rail seating is getting the green light more and more I'd love a future development of the ground to be a standing Chaddy end.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

That stadium will never be brought up to standard as they've started building the new one. But undersoil heating requirements were waived. That's going to be controversial if they get a fixture pile up because of the lack of it

doesnt matter about the pitch when you want a call off at winter you just water the roads the night before and the police call if off.

l'm not naming names. ever.

On 10/23/2023 at 11:35 AM, Dave_Og said:

For me Aldershot are the surprise team this season. Since thay sacked Mark Moseley (our manager in L2) they haven't looked back. Altrinham too have done well. Although not far away, nice to note that for their upcoming fixture against yourselves players and staff have chipped in to pay for free travel to get bums on seats at BP. Personally, I like reading these sort of stories coming from the National Leagues. Recently Yeovil v Weymouth in the NLS attracted over 6000 fans. That leagues highest ever attendance. Bit lower and Bury had over 3000 at Gigg Lane in their last 9th tier game.

For us, despite the embargo, Solihull (w5-0) and Ebbsfleet (w3-0) earned King Kev the NL manager of the week award. However, the embargo is hurting. We're allowed 16 squad players. 5 players out injured so we're permitted emergency covers. When our players return from injury thay can't play until one of the emergency covers ends, player returned allowing our player back. Seems insane, but until we get rid of that **** of an owner we have, we can't do anything. Sale expected to be complete mid November, hopefully embargo lifted by the time we play Chesterfield.

14 hours ago, Glossop Shrimper said:

Seems insane, but until we get rid of that **** of an owner we have, we can't do anything. Sale expected to be complete mid November, hopefully embargo lifted by the time we play Chesterfield.

I hope you stuff them! :D 

• Like 1

On 10/23/2023 at 4:41 PM, Monty Burns said:

within two years but we did it anyway instead of buying players and there was the beginning of the end.

not jus the chaddy. lookers paddock, george hill paddock and the full Jimmy Friz needed building.

The last game I went to at Boundary Park was an FA Cup tie against Tranmere in, I think, 1993. We were in the Premier League and they were in the next division down (League 1? Championship?). Anyway, they outplayed us, with John Aldridge scoring twice from the penalty spot and later being sent off, though we rather luckily came back to get a draw.

I couldn't get over just how bloody awful the experience of being in an all-seated area was though (the Chaddy End, of all places), not to mention having had to pay about five times the entry fee compared to my previous visit in the late 1980s. I've never been back since, and will never do so if required to sit down to watch a football match.

Last attended a Latics fixture at Brentford in 2005. That was bloody awful as well, but only because of the abysmal performance of the team (lost 0-2). At least it was possible to stand on the terracing behind the goal....

5 hours ago, Summerdeep said:

The last game I went to at Boundary Park was an FA Cup tie against Tranmere in, I think, 1993. We were in the Premier League and they were in the next division down (League 1? Championship?). Anyway, they outplayed us, with John Aldridge scoring twice from the penalty spot and later being sent off, though we rather luckily came back to get a draw.

I couldn't get over just how bloody awful the experience of being in an all-seated area was though (the Chaddy End, of all places), not to mention having had to pay about five times the entry fee compared to my previous visit in the late 1980s. I've never been back since, and will never do so if required to sit down to watch a football match.

Last attended a Latics fixture at Brentford in 2005. That was bloody awful as well, but only because of the abysmal performance of the team (lost 0-2). At least it was possible to stand on the terracing behind the goal....

Mate I'm 70 years old but you are the definition of a football dinosaur !!   😉

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Summerdeep said:

It wasn't all seater when we were in the Premier League, you could still stand in the paddocks.

On 10/23/2023 at 11:35 AM, Dave_Og said:

I guess just on league positions we are one of the big under-performers

Yep, but that’s only due to our start under Unsy. I am absolutely convinced that the table from game 11 to 46 will have us comfortably in the top 7.  Wether that’s enough this season after the start - time will tell. But I genuinely think this will be our last season of not being where we want or expect. 

46 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Yep, but that’s only due to our start under Unsy. I am absolutely convinced that the table from game 11 to 46 will have us comfortably in the top 7.  Wether that’s enough this season after the start - time will tell. But I genuinely think this will be our last season of not being where we want or expect. 

I agree wit the first two sentences... :)

Edited by Dave_Og

• 3 weeks later...