National League Thread

5 hours ago, Sloshed Joe said:

I hate this league. I hate being shit in this league. I hated being League 2. Thought it was shit compared to League 1. We were shit in League 2. I thought League 1 was pretty shit but it was actually ok. No matter what League we are in, I always think we have half decent players, but they’re not. They’re always just shit. Until they leave us like Callum Whelan or Ollie Banks. Then they look decent. Hate football. It’s shit. If we get to the play off final and win it I will love football. 

😃

Do we actually watch players before signing them, or go on past reputation?

Do they all have thorough medical checks before handing out big wages and contracts?

Do we use highlights of players best performances as a reason to sign them?

Do we believe agents recommendations?

Makes me wonder.

Edited by BP1960

59 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Do they all have thorough medical checks before handing out big wages and contracts?

Makes me wonder.

We wouldn’t have been able to watch much of these new lads this season given they were barely playing for their clubs. Micky was probably able to chat to his son about Ethan Walker, he’s the one who has looked the most promising but weirdly played the least.

I wonder if Dallas was a Darren Royle signing rather than a Mellon signing given the past negotiations with his agent.

5 minutes ago, Sloshed Joe said:

We wouldn’t have been able to watch much of these new lads this season given they were barely playing for their clubs. Micky was probably able to chat to his son about Ethan Walker, he’s the one who has looked the most promising but weirdly played the least.

I wonder if Dallas was a Darren Royle signing rather than a Mellon signing given the past negotiations with his agent.

Walker was a David Eyres recommendation, he must be miffed at why he's not considered when the team is crying out for pace and direct runners.

12 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Walker was a David Eyres recommendation, he must be miffed at why he's not considered when the team is crying out for pace and direct runners.

David Eyres is his agent but agreed he should have more time on the pitch.

I'd sooner him come on than Green on Saturday but maybe Melon is confirming Green is not in his plans ?

27 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

David Eyres is his agent but agreed he should have more time on the pitch.

I'd sooner him come on than Green on Saturday but maybe Melon is confirming Green is not in his plans ?

Eh?  He plays him more or less as soon as he's back from an injury too confirm he shouldn't play him?

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Eh?  He plays him more or less as soon as he's back from an injury too confirm he shouldn't play him?

Still think Melon is deciding who is or isn't in his plans for next season, so yes.

Probably should have put the word whether after confirming in my post.

12 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Still think Melon is deciding who is or isn't in his plans for next season, so yes.

Probably should have put the word whether after confirming in my post.

Given we've got a squad of the size we have, I'd say it's Mellon's job to work that out in training

2 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Makes me wonder.

what does?

youre too quick to judge. probably why you spend your days haunting us with your new found pessimism. coupled with refusal to keep a track on how often you say the same three things rehashed in different guises!

anyway lets play some random kid in the team, maybe even out of his bormal position. that should do it 🙄

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

youre too quick to judge. probably why you spend your days haunting us with your new found pessimism. coupled with refusal to keep a track on how often you say the same three things rehashed in different guises!

anyway lets play some random kid in the team, maybe even out of his bormal position. that should do it 🙄

Blocked

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Monty Burns said:

Glad you're not lost your sense of humour, how could I fall out with you?😄

I fckin hate Brentford. For me, they should still be a really shit team playing at a tinpot Griffin Park playing in front of one man and his dog. Fair play that they’ve been run well and established in the Prem, but playing in a packed out new stadium belting out ‘Hey Jude’ (why???) and Seven Nation Army is just Mickey Mouse plastik knobhead behaviour.

if we ever rise back up, I demand we play Mouldy old dough to a rickety Main Stand otherwise I ain’t coming no more.

• Like 1

On 2/4/2024 at 11:32 AM, nzlatic said:

Yep. Cook got the job in Feb 2022. So he had the end of that season, then the whole of 22/23 and got to the play off final (despite that massive blip of form). Now this season he’s got them dominating. 110 games in charge. 

Mellon has had 18 games. 

But, but, but we should be worried

9 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Makes me wonder.

I'll bite. Hard not to.

Which players are you concerned we haven't watched?

Do you understand what a medical involves?

You've used YouTube to recommend players on here before

Do you reckon we just take a call and Mellon goes ye OK I'll just sign him then off what the agent says?

8 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

But, but, but we should be worried

Quite a few have questioned the manager, because he gets the plaudits when we win and should take the heat when the majority of players are woeful. (Unless you believe he is above critique) 

Quite a few have said the last two games have been shit- because they have. (I presume you loved the last two performances) 

Quite a few have said the complete drop off in any type of performance in those games is hard to fathom - because it is. (I take it this is just a blip for you) 

Quite a few said they don’t understand Dallas playing in midfield and then signing a 36 year old to play with a 33 year old. (Having 8 strikers on the books is all part of the master plan I’m sure) 

None of the above is over reacting; it’s what actually happened. I haven’t read anyone panicking or calling for his head. I have read people debating the above, and saying it’s a concern.  You obviously don’t see it like that- which is fine. But the only over reaction is from the ‘nothing to see here lads’ who are desperate to jump on fair observation and/or criticism. I’m as desperate as you to see us do well, but if it’s shit - it’s shit. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Quite a few have questioned the manager, because he gets the plaudits when we win and should take the heat when the majority of players are woeful. (Unless you believe he is above critique) 

Quite a few have said the last two games have been shit- because they have. (I presume you loved the last two performances) 

Quite a few have said the complete drop off in any type of performance in those games is hard to fathom - because it is. (I take it this is just a blip for you) 

Quite a few said they don’t understand Dallas playing in midfield and then signing a 36 year old to play with a 33 year old. (Having 8 strikers on the books is all part of the master plan I’m sure) 

None of the above is over reacting; it’s what actually happened. I haven’t read anyone panicking or calling for his head. I have read people debating the above, and saying it’s a concern.  You obviously don’t see it like that- which is fine. But the only over reaction is from the ‘nothing to see here lads’ who are desperate to jump on fair observation and/or criticism. I’m as desperate as you to see us do well, but if it’s shit - it’s shit. 

Lol

12 hours ago, Sloshed Joe said:

I fckin hate Brentford. For me, they should still be a really shit team playing at a tinpot Griffin Park playing in front of one man and his dog. Fair play that they’ve been run well and established in the Prem, but playing in a packed out new stadium belting out ‘Hey Jude’ (why???) and Seven Nation Army is just Mickey Mouse plastik knobhead behaviour.

I have been to Brentford half a dozen times since they got into the Premier League. (I have a mate who is a season ticket holder)

Their new stadium, albeit small with a capacity of 17,250, is brilliantly equipped and the bars are run efficiently. The away fan allocation of 1700 is always sold out as are the home ends.

I agree that the opening song of ‘Hey Jude’ is a strange one but the atmosphere is generally pretty good.

We should be praising the club for its achievements I reckon.👍

Edited by TheBigDog
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Sloshed Joe said:

if we ever rise back up, I demand we play Mouldy old dough to a rickety Main Stand otherwise I ain’t coming no more.

Any more plastic than Citeh and their glory hunting fans (those who turn up at the Emptihad, that is?) - who also run out to Hey Jude?

Good luck to Brentford, seem to be a well run club and last time I checked they were facing over 100 fewer FFP breaches than Citeh. 

• Like 1

Could've been worse tonight.  Solihull the only winners in the playoff pack, and that came against Halifax.  Gateshead only drawing is a plus.

Despite how poor we've been in the last two games, a playoff place really should be there for the taking this season with the squad we have.

• Like 1

5 in 5 for Chesterfield's James Berry since coming in for the injured Colclough.

Not bad for wide man who can create chances as well.

Don't think I've mentioned him before.😉

• Like 1