BPAS PODCAST: 7th Nov '22, S3:E14: Wrecked

1 hour ago, Londonboy said:

We got an undeserved win first up v Dorking where we got outplayed, a last minute winner v Aldershot again not really deserved, and a token win v Eastleigh where Shez was already gone.

Don't try and dress up what were just as poor performance as we are seeing now.

And we had Hogan, Hope, Gardiner all fit which did make a difference 

We might have even lost if it wasn't for those bloody goals we scored...

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Londonboy said:

We got an undeserved win first up v Dorking where we got outplayed, a last minute winner v Aldershot again not really deserved, and a token win v Eastleigh where Shez was already gone.

Don't try and dress up what were just as poor performance as we are seeing now.

And we had Hogan, Hope, Gardiner all fit which did make a difference 

Oh I don’t get confused with thinking I wanted Sheridan to stay, I really didn’t and the football was poor under him. He still managed to get results, I don’t care how he did it. He did a lot better than Unsworth in his first 9 games and that’s a simple fact. That’s just how bad it is with Unsworth. 

3 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Oh I don’t get confused with thinking I wanted Sheridan to stay, I really didn’t and the football was poor under him. He still managed to get results, I don’t care how he did it. He did a lot better than Unsworth in his first 9 games and that’s a simple fact. That’s just how bad it is with Unsworth. 

Comparison like these are pointless given you aren't comparing exact like for like.

47 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

I agree with a lot of that, but when you say DU desperately needs help - he's brought in his own back room team who presumably are not working for peanuts; what more help do you think he needs? We haven't got the money or status to just go out and recruit whoever we like, so he needs to start coming up with answers for the players he already has. The squad is huge, surely it's reasonable to expect a change in tactics and an improvement in player performance (granted, injuries haven't helped him)?

Not sure how many games you've seen this season, and the games I've seen bar 2 have been away from home....but it's a simple question now really.

Who in the current squad do we think are/or can be improved, into good enough players to challenge for promtion/play off spot next season?

Anyone who we think cannot get to the standard required needs to go and quickly.

Being generous I'd keep

Sheron

Hogan

Sutton

Kitching

Couto - loan out

Kilner - loan out

Rooney

Tollitt

Gardner

Hope

Fondop

Out of the 11, 2 need to go out on loan for developement, 4 are injured or just coming back from injury, leaving Sheron, Kitching, Rooney, Tollitt and Fondop fit and available.....not very easy is it?

We need another 3 or 4 goods signings and to maximise the loan market as a minimum over the next 2 months, which will keep us up and then move from there.

Pointless even trying to persevere and improve players who clearly just are not and will never be good enough to take us forward.

3 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

Not sure how many games you've seen this season, and the games I've seen bar 2 have been away from home....but it's a simple question now really.

Who in the current squad do we think are/or can be improved, into good enough players to challenge for promtion/play off spot next season?

Anyone who we think cannot get to the standard required needs to go and quickly.

Being generous I'd keep

Sheron

Hogan

Sutton

Kitching

Couto - loan out

Kilner - loan out

Rooney

Tollitt

Gardner

Hope

Fondop

Out of the 11, 2 need to go out on loan for developement, 4 are injured or just coming back from injury, leaving Sheron, Kitching, Rooney, Tollitt and Fondop fit and available.....not very easy is it?

We need another 3 or 4 goods signings and to maximise the loan market as a minimum over the next 2 months, which will keep us up and then move from there.

Pointless even trying to persevere and improve players who clearly just are not and will never be good enough to take us forward.

I think the priority should be to improve what we have to keep us up first and foremost whilst the players we bring in should be the ones who are capable of mounting a promotion challenge next season. Of the current squad, there is probably only Tollitt who I think is worth keeping long term plus maybe Vaughan and obviously Kitching who has just come in. I'm ignoring players we have on loan.

18 minutes ago, PeteG said:

I think the priority should be to improve what we have to keep us up first and foremost whilst the players we bring in should be the ones who are capable of mounting a promotion challenge next season. Of the current squad, there is probably only Tollitt who I think is worth keeping long term plus maybe Vaughan and obviously Kitching who has just come in. I'm ignoring players we have on loan.

So the priority is to improve what we have but then in the next breath you say you would only keep Tollitt, Vaughan & Kitching!

We need new players just to stay up…..nothing more nothing less!!

7 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

So the priority is to improve what we have but then in the next breath you say you would only keep Tollitt, Vaughan & Kitching!

We need new players just to stay up…..nothing more nothing less!!

I meant those are the 3 I see as capable as being part of a promotion winning squad (albeit i know little about Kitching) I believe we have more than enough in the current squad to finish above the bottom 4 if the manager can get the best out of them. Every signing from here on in has to be of the calibre that you think can be part of a promotion winning team.

2 minutes ago, PeteG said:

I meant those are the 3 I see as capable as being part of a promotion winning squad (albeit i know little about Kitching) I believe we have more than enough in the current squad to finish above the bottom 4 if the manager can get the best out of them. Every signing from here on in has to be of the calibre that you think can be part of a promotion winning team.

Any new recruits will know they will be plying their trade in this division for another season at least!

For me that means we may be more successful targeting the better talent from NLN or NLS or the lesser teams in this division.

Getting favourable players to come here is not going to be so easy!

2 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Any new recruits will know they will be plying their trade in this division for another season at least!

For me that means we may be more successful targeting the better talent from NLN or NLS or the lesser teams in this division.

Getting favourable players to come here is not going to be so easy!

This is the problem.  Pointless just saying sign good players

Apologies if he finds it as an insult but I near on 99% agreed with your guest @Frankly Mr Shankly on nearly every issue.

I've not managed to listen to the last couple but what struck me on this one is how ultimately the mood of the podcast is not generated by who owns us but ultimately how we are doing out on the pitch, as you suggested it seemed a bit raw as you recorded it on the day of the match which is unusual in itself I think.

I'm looking forward to you having Darren Royle on, I think it's fair to ask some pressing questions particularly around the issues which I feel have derailed our season which are the Shez/Unsworth situation with the worst kept secret of Unsworth waiting in the wings lined up ready for Shez/Wright to fail and the general feeling that there doesn't appear to be much of a plan on the football side which Abdallah was rightly roasted for. Off the field appears to be sorting itself out nicely but if we keep regressing on the playing side it will count for little. 

35 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

the general feeling that there doesn't appear to be much of a plan on the football side which Abdallah was rightly roasted for. Off the field appears to be sorting itself out nicely but if we keep regressing on the playing side it will count for little. 

We don’t know this though do we….I’m not having it that they’ve neglected the football side of the business because without a competitive team there will never be a successful football club.

The football admittedly is absolutely dire but let’s see what DR has to say on these podcasts.

There could be signings in the pipeline and we may see a different team altogether come January!

We have a really poor squad of players but it’s only November….let’s give them a bit more time to hopefully make the necessary changes!

46 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Apologies if he finds it as an insult but I near on 99% agreed with your guest @Frankly Mr Shankly on nearly every issue.

I've not managed to listen to the last couple but what struck me on this one is how ultimately the mood of the podcast is not generated by who owns us but ultimately how we are doing out on the pitch, as you suggested it seemed a bit raw as you recorded it on the day of the match which is unusual in itself I think.

I'm looking forward to you having Darren Royle on, I think it's fair to ask some pressing questions particularly around the issues which I feel have derailed our season which are the Shez/Unsworth situation with the worst kept secret of Unsworth waiting in the wings lined up ready for Shez/Wright to fail and the general feeling that there doesn't appear to be much of a plan on the football side which Abdallah was rightly roasted for. Off the field appears to be sorting itself out nicely but if we keep regressing on the playing side it will count for little. 

Can't really be having that.  Appointing a whole team of coaches is evidently part of a long term plan.  The undeniable fact that in the very short term it really isn't going very well at all doesn't mean it's comparable with the random approach adopted by Abdallah; the only plan he ever had was to sign up undiscovered gems and sell them on.  Not a bad plan if they had actually have been gems...!

2 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Can't really be having that.  Appointing a whole team of coaches is evidently part of a long term plan.  The undeniable fact that in the very short term it really isn't going very well at all doesn't mean it's comparable with the random approach adopted by Abdallah; the only plan he ever had was to sign up undiscovered gems and sell them on.  Not a bad plan if they had actually have been gems...!

Abdallah appointed Wellens/Jewell/Terry as part of a coaching setup when he was initially funding the club. Very similar to the recent 3 man coaching team Mr Rothwell has assembled...

3 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Abdallah appointed Wellens/Jewell/Terry as part of a coaching setup when he was initially funding the club. Very similar to the recent 3 man coaching team Mr Rothwell has assembled...

Can't say I even recall Terry or have the faintest idea who he is.  Unless him and Jewell were Wellens' choices I'm not sure they can be compared.  Were they all given three year contracts?  Jewell resigning after less than a month suggests he might have been one of the first to rumble them

Just now, Dave_Og said:

Can't say I even recall Terry or have the faintest idea who he is.  Unless him and Jewell were Wellens' choices I'm not sure they can be compared.  Were they all given three year contracts?  Jewell resigning after less than a month suggests he might have been one of the first to rumble them

Paul Terry and both of them were chosen by the manager. Think Wellens played under Jewell at Ipswich...

2 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Paul Terry brother of John. He's currently assistant to Wellens at Orient so safe to say he was appointed by Wellens. Played for Yeovil for a long time as well as Orient after that.

49 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Paul Terry and both of them were chosen by the manager. Think Wellens played under Jewell at Ipswich...

OK then.  There was the semblance of a plan but it was ripped up within a month (when Jewell left) and completely torched within three months when Terry left.  This is a complete guess but might those departures have been influenced by the arrival of Mohammed Lemsagam?  Or by the arrivals of busloads of 'players'?

18 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

OK then.  There was the semblance of a plan but it was ripped up within a month (when Jewell left) and completely torched within three months when Terry left.  This is a complete guess but might those departures have been influenced by the arrival of Mohammed Lemsagam?  Or by the arrivals of busloads of 'players'?

I keep repeating it and people think i'm taking the piss but there was also significant investment in the squad on the likes of Byrne, Bryan, Doyle, Hunt etc etc noway that squad should have gone down. Most new owners do like to show intent with investment in the playing side especially in the early days in order to create a feel good factor.

2 minutes ago, PeteG said:

I keep repeating it and people think i'm taking the piss but there was also significant investment in the squad on the likes of Byrne, Bryan, Doyle, Hunt etc etc noway that squad should have gone down. Most new owners do like to show intent with investment in the playing side especially in the early days in order to create a feel good factor.

Indeed there was.  It wasn't them that turned the dressing room toxic though was it.

58 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Well that's not what Jewell said when he left. He was quite clear that he couldn't do his job properly because of the appalling state of our training facilities, something mentioned by a few of our many managers well before Abdallah arrived on the scene

1 minute ago, Steve_R said:

Well that's not what Jewell said when he left. He was quite clear that he couldn't do his job properly because of the appalling state of our training facilities, something mentioned by a few of our many managers well before Abdallah arrived on the scene

Which kind of supports the need for infrastructure to be the priority.  Not sure that was credible from Jewell though - did he not have a look before he took the job?

Archived