BPAS PODCAST: 7th Nov '22, S3:E14: Wrecked

Unfortunately now we live in a culture where the immediate solution for many to any problems a football team may be having is to sack the manager.

Is Unsworth doing better than Shez was? At the moment no, although Shez's record seems to be being re-written as late goals are now the new Pawel's law and don't count. His other win wasn't really a win either as apparently despite being 3-0 up after 85 minutes we were totally outplayed, so in fact he didn't win any so had to go.

Will Unsworth be doing better in 2/3 months time? Who knows, but it's to be hoped that with a few new players and more time in the job we will start moving up the table.

Then we have the question, how long do you leave it? Well any manager deserves more than 10 games that for sure. Asking fans of the most unsuccessful club over the last 30 odd years to show patience is probably asking a bit much, but I don't see as we have any choice.

PS: I might change my mind if he signs Connor Brown.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Which kind of supports the need for infrastructure to be the priority.  Not sure that was credible from Jewell though - did he not have a look before he took the job?

I agree, and I've no idea if he thought he could work with it be soon realised he couldn't, but that's what he said.

22 minutes ago, Steve_R said:

Unfortunately now we live in a culture where the immediate solution for many to any problems a football team may be having is to sack the manager.

Is Unsworth doing better than Shez was? At the moment no, although Shez's record seems to be being re-written as late goals are now the new Pawel's law and don't count. His other win wasn't really a win either as apparently despite being 3-0 up after 85 minutes we were totally outplayed, so in fact he didn't win any so had to go.

Will Unsworth be doing better in 2/3 months time? Who knows, but it's to be hoped that with a few new players and more time in the job we will start moving up the table.

Then we have the question, how long do you leave it? Well any manager deserves more than 10 games that for sure. Asking fans of the most unsuccessful club over the last 30 odd years to show patience is probably asking a bit much, but I don't see as we have any choice.

PS: I might change my mind if he signs Connor Brown.

Talking off being the most unsuccessful club of the last 30 years, its a good job we've gone for a backroom staff with that winning mentality from the other most unsuccessful club in the last 30 years.

28 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Which kind of supports the need for infrastructure to be the priority.  Not sure that was credible from Jewell though - did he not have a look before he took the job?

You can't just say it's not credible because it doesn't fit your narrative. It's what Mr Jewell said and why would he lie...?

6 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

You can't just say it's not credible because it doesn't fit your narrative. It's what Mr Jewell said and why would he lie...?

If i remember rightly, Chapel Road was under about 2 feet of water for the time Jewell was with us and we actually used City's training facilities for their academy for some of the time.

1 hour ago, PeteG said:

I keep repeating it and people think i'm taking the piss but there was also significant investment in the squad on the likes of Byrne, Bryan, Doyle, Hunt etc etc noway that squad should have gone down. Most new owners do like to show intent with investment in the playing side especially in the early days in order to create a feel good factor.

A complete waste of cash, if the manager is being told who he can and can’t play…

29 minutes ago, PeteG said:

Talking off being the most unsuccessful club of the last 30 years, its a good job we've gone for a backroom staff with that winning mentality from the other most unsuccessful club in the last 30 years.

That though has crossed my mind too

27 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Yep, you're right.  Nobody in football has ever been anything other than dead straight,

Why do we keep getting these little comparisons back to the previous owners on here? Framed in a way that other posters are somehow hypocritical if not applying the same reaction to both situations? Is it just to wind people up or are some looking to legitimately compare?

I wasn't actually trying to draw comparison and apologise for the wording of my post, I do think the discontent and the perceived regression needs addressing though if only to attempt to keep the fans onboard with the new management team, I'm fully behind the new manager and believe he's the one who needs backing but can understand why some feel he may not be up to it based purely on results.

14 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

It's a bit crazy to assume he was lying when you have no idea of his character...

Perhaps he was just giving a diplomatic answer and walking away in a hassle free manner. Maybe it was best doing that than saying Oldham is an absolute basketcase.

24 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

It's a bit crazy to assume he was lying when you have no idea of his character...

Well, if he didn't look at the facilities before taking the job he was a bit crazy.  No? With 35 years of experience in the game he probably knows what an appropriate training set up looks like.

So do the players we'd like to sign.  I'm sure that would be a factor in deciding whether to make the move

1 hour ago, Steve_R said:

One of the best things that I've read on here for a while.

3 hours ago, Steve_R said:

It’s a funny one isn’t. 

Objectively ten games seems nothing. 

Subjectively ten games feels like more than enough time to make a judgement on someone’s suitability for the role. 

He needs some wins, and quickly. Ultimately no manager can keep his job with a 10% win ratio. 

2 hours ago, League one forever said:

It’s a funny one isn’t. 

Objectively ten games seems nothing. 

Subjectively ten games feels like more than enough time to make a judgement on someone’s suitability for the role. 

He needs some wins, and quickly. Ultimately no manager can keep his job with a 10% win ratio. 

With the squad we’ve got 10 games is nowhere near enough and rightly so. It may be that a recruitment strategy could have been discussed in talks with Unsworth from the very beginning.

Perhaps the squad inadequacies had already been highlighted and he wasn’t being judged until such a time as the replacements could be brought in.

IMO they’re not sacking him anytime soon!

We really don’t know do we?

9 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

With the squad we’ve got 10 games is nowhere near enough and rightly so. It may be that a recruitment strategy could have been discussed in talks with Unsworth from the very beginning.

Perhaps the squad inadequacies had already been highlighted and he wasn’t being judged until such a time as the replacements could be brought in.

IMO they’re not sacking him anytime soon!

We really don’t know do we?

How long will you accept losing for? 

7 minutes ago, League one forever said:

How long will you accept losing for? 

Without more reinforcements a fair while….he should be judged on his team so for me has to get the January window at least.

As long as we don’t get dragged down and adrift in the bottom 4 I think he’s safe, even then I think the board would back him financially.

7 hours ago, PeteG said:

6 hours ago, Steve_R said:

That though has crossed my mind too

His team at Everton wasn't unsuccessful though

51 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Without more reinforcements a fair while….he should be judged on his team so for me has to get the January window at least.

As long as we don’t get dragged down and adrift in the bottom 4 I think he’s safe, even then I think the board would back him financially.

So realistically- to get anywhere near that, you’re looking end of Feb/March time. By that stage he’ll have had 20/25 games and if his win ratio is anywhere near what it is now- that’s untenable IMO. 

1 hour ago, oafc1955 said:

We're not restricted by the January transfer window, are we?

4 minutes ago, JoeP said:

We're not restricted by the January transfer window, are we?

Not restricted, no.

But it will have a significant impact. Without offering silly money we won't be able to compete with clubs in the football league during the window. 

But once the window closes for them we may be able to compete. However, Football League clubs can sign free agents until the 4th Thursday in March, so we don't have much of an advantage. But we can offer money to clubs if needed.

Archived