BPAS PODCAST: 7th Nov '22, S3:E14: Wrecked

After a 3-0 FA Cup defeat to Wrexham, the third away loss in just over a week, there's not much to cheer about - you've been warned.

To support the pod by paying a monthly subscription of just £2.99 via this link https://anchor.fm/bp-alert/subscribe. All the regular episodes will remain free to everyone. You can now also listen to the Latics Football Phone In as a podcast every Thursday morning from 7am.

You can also support us by visiting https://www.oafcpodcast.co.uk, subscribing to our mailing list and purchasing from our online shop.

Follow the show on Twitter, Instagram & Facebook @oafcpodcast. Please subscribe to our YouTube channel here

Download and listen to the podcast via the FanHub app, where content creators and fans alike are rewarded for getting involved #ctg.

You can find out more about Push The Boundary by visiting them at www.pushtheboundary.co.uk and following on Twitter @PTB_OAFC. Find out more about OASF at www.oasf.co.uk where you can also donate to the 1895 Fund.

Title music is by Manchester DJ and producer Starion find out more at www.redlaserrecords.bandcamp.com

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Lee Sinnott said:

Great listen. I'd take a bullet for Jamie Harrison and I found myself nodding and agreeing with Matt Dean more than ever before...

Aye, the change in tone from Matt was noticeable and welcome. We all love the club, and want it thrive. But DU needs to be accountable for the shit show he’s running, and stop blaming everybody else. 

At the risk of being a heretic, I don't understand the fixation with playing 4-4-2. Modern coaches don't favour it because it is rigid, can be narrow and a good team can readily play through the (straight) lines. 

Actually, looking at your recent history, you could say that the common denominator hasn't been poor formations. It's been rubbish players, who are themselves the product of poor recruitment. If that is true, I don't think it much matters what formation they play. 

6 minutes ago, basilrobbie said:

At the risk of being a heretic, I don't understand the fixation with playing 4-4-2. Modern coaches don't favour it because it is rigid, can be narrow and a good team can readily play through the (straight) lines. 

Actually, looking at your recent history, you could say that the common denominator hasn't been poor formations. It's been rubbish players, who are themselves the product of poor recruitment. If that is true, I don't think it much matters what formation they play. 

Thank you, we have poor players who will be as poor at 4-4-2 as they are at 5-4-1, 5-3-2, or 3-5-2.  A shite formation is no excuse for not being able to make a 5 yard pass or heading a free kick to the opposition for an assist.

These players are absolutely horrific, Unsworth appears to have realised Stobbs is not a footballer but he cant exclude them all or it would give a new meaning to Abrahams playing on his own.

Abrahams, Kitching look good, so Im happy Unsworth can see a player.  Its the other wage stealers that are the issue and with a squad completely bloated by shite, that will take time to fix 

9 minutes ago, basilrobbie said:

The problem is that we don't have anyone who can play as a wingback. so a manager needs to play the best formation which suits the players he has at his disposal.

2 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

The problem is that we don't have anyone who can play as a wingback. so a manager needs to play the best formation which suits the players he has at his disposal.

People making out like he's got them playing some really complex and unheard of new invention of a formation. Its simple as fuck but they're shite

17 minutes ago, basilrobbie said:

You don't know Oldham fans very well then Bob...

1 hour ago, basilrobbie said:

Modern coaches favour the flavour of the month based on tactics successful at major clubs with the players who can adapt to any formation, they try to reproduce that at lower level with chess board formations which players at this level cannot comprehend, Football is a simple game 442 or 433 attacking is not extinct as many coaching manual coaches have you believe.

2 hours ago, basilrobbie said:

Have you been Unsworth all along. Honestly, if you have seen us play you’ll be able to see within the first 10 mins how this formation is strangling the life out of the players, fans and club. 

12 hours ago, LightDN123 said:

Have you been Unsworth all along. Honestly, if you have seen us play you’ll be able to see within the first 10 mins how this formation is strangling the life out of the players, fans and club. 

If I'm Unsworth I really am playing a long game. Curle was the manager when I started posting.

You may be right about the formation. But wasn't Sheridan a 4-4-2 man? And he didn't get much of a tune out of this fiddle, did he?

The common denominator is the players, and the historical pattern of recruitment. I hold no brief for Unsworth, but you can't put either of those at his door, really, and it will take a while to fix.

I got two in the Latics Quiz, by the way. Yay for me.

1 hour ago, basilrobbie said:

If I'm Unsworth I really am playing a long game. Curle was the manager when I started posting.

You may be right about the formation. But wasn't Sheridan a 4-4-2 man? And he didn't get much of a tune out of this fiddle, did he?

The common denominator is the players, and the historical pattern of recruitment. I hold no brief for Unsworth, but you can't put either of those at his door, really, and it will take a while to fix.

As many as I got, I think.

No - Shez was playing one up front as well.  Got more results too.  Strange that Unsworth has come in, almost done the same thing and somehow made us worse.  Unsworth also seems stubborn and seems to expect different results from the same approach.

Congratulations to the Podcast on their Award last night too!

Just now, ShireBlue said:

It’s almost like the majority of the players are crap.

Bingo. The players simply aren't up to it, lack of desire, poor ball control and distribution. Until the playing side is upgraded we are going to see more of the same. 

7 minutes ago, ShireBlue said:

It’s almost like the majority of the players are crap.

I'm not sure anyone's arguing otherwise.

The argument is whether the manager is getting the best out of them..

No matter what people say about inheriting a poor squad etc., there are huge question marks already over DU's ability to MANAGE. The warning signs are there for all to see - just open your eyes. As someone has posted elsewhere; the fans are divided already - exactly what we didn't want after the takeover euphoria. IF we were seeing any green shoots of recovery on the playing front; patience would prevail but nobody can disagree surely that we have regressed on the pitch under Unsworth - and regressed quite considerably.

Altrincham was dreadful but against Wrexham, I would call the overall performance (with a couple of exceptions) "cowardly". That's inexcusable. It was like a practice game for them and, as a tv spectacle, was an abject failure. 

Also, I`m eternally grateful to FR for saving us but, if I was a club advisor, I`d gently encourage him to stay away from the tv cameras from now on - it's doing us no favours.

Frank and the board need to "go internal" for a while and come up with a formula to sort out the playing side ASAP. DU desperately needs help - give it to him and let's see if the huge question marks can then be erased.

2 hours ago, basilrobbie said:

Sheridan played 532, 433, 4231 during his 9 games. He at least shows signs of adapting and changed things mid game. Got 3 wins in 9 to show for it also. 

• Matt featured this topic

Agree with the point Wiseowl made and was also touched on by Matt on the podcast.

Mr Rothwell is making himself look very silly with some of his comments in the media and, in all honesty, probably has done since he arrived. I still cringe when thinking about the Press Conference immediately after the takeover. A hugely impressive human being, but he should be locked in a cupboard every time a TV crew appear at the club and let Darren Royle carry out those duties...

34 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Sheridan played 532, 433, 4231 during his 9 games. He at least shows signs of adapting and changed things mid game. Got 3 wins in 9 to show for it also. 

We got an undeserved win first up v Dorking where we got outplayed, a last minute winner v Aldershot again not really deserved, and a token win v Eastleigh where Shez was already gone.

Don't try and dress up what were just as poor performance as we are seeing now.

And we had Hogan, Hope, Gardiner all fit which did make a difference 

15 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

We got an undeserved win first up v Dorking where we got outplayed, a last minute winner v Aldershot again not really deserved, and a token win v Eastleigh where Shez was already gone.

Don't try and dress up what were just as poor performance as we are seeing now.

And we had Hogan, Hope, Gardiner all fit which did make a difference 

Sheri fanboys are desperate to make out their guy was hard done by, the reality is his terrible, brainless recruitment is a major factor in why we find ourselves in the pickle we are currently in.

1 hour ago, wiseowl said:

No matter what people say about inheriting a poor squad etc., there are huge question marks already over DU's ability to MANAGE. The warning signs are there for all to see - just open your eyes. As someone has posted elsewhere; the fans are divided already - exactly what we didn't want after the takeover euphoria. IF we were seeing any green shoots of recovery on the playing front; patience would prevail but nobody can disagree surely that we have regressed on the pitch under Unsworth - and regressed quite considerably.

Altrincham was dreadful but against Wrexham, I would call the overall performance (with a couple of exceptions) "cowardly". That's inexcusable. It was like a practice game for them and, as a tv spectacle, was an abject failure. 

Also, I`m eternally grateful to FR for saving us but, if I was a club advisor, I`d gently encourage him to stay away from the tv cameras from now on - it's doing us no favours.

Frank and the board need to "go internal" for a while and come up with a formula to sort out the playing side ASAP. DU desperately needs help - give it to him and let's see if the huge question marks can then be erased.

I agree with a lot of that, but when you say DU desperately needs help - he's brought in his own back room team who presumably are not working for peanuts; what more help do you think he needs? We haven't got the money or status to just go out and recruit whoever we like, so he needs to start coming up with answers for the players he already has. The squad is huge, surely it's reasonable to expect a change in tactics and an improvement in player performance (granted, injuries haven't helped him)?

Archived