Unsworth

I've now made peace with the fact that isn't a "fans" sort of manager.

The press conference shenanigans smacks of petty point-scoring over those that have called him out.

I hope he does well here, then exits for a decent compensations fee.  Then we recruit a better fit next time.

Or just exits, if he doesn't do well.

26 minutes ago, JoeP said:

I've now made peace with the fact that isn't a "fans" sort of manager.

The press conference shenanigans smacks of petty point-scoring over those that have called him out.

I hope he does well here, then exits for a decent compensations fee.  Then we recruit a better fit next time.

Or just exits, if he doesn't do well.

Are we placing more on that side of things as a fanbase because of our history or does that matter to every football fan? Sheridan is a legend in most eyes, rightly so. But when you really look at why, it's probably mainly down to how good he was with the fans. Because on the pitch he had 1 play off run 15 years ago, a couple of short term relegation escapes and not a great deal else.  Had we been more like other clubs and had the odd promotion to enjoy would we care so much about how good the manager's relationship with the fans is?

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Are we placing more on that side of things as a fanbase because of our history or does that matter to every football fan? Sheridan is a legend in most eyes, rightly so. But when you really look at why, it's probably mainly down to how good he was with the fans. Because on the pitch he had 1 play off run 15 years ago, a couple of short term relegation escapes and not a great deal else.  Had we been more like other clubs and had the odd promotion to enjoy would we care so much about how good the manager's relationship with the fans is?

Shez had the 2 Shezzurections (and gave a third a good go last year) and took us to the play-offs, so I don't think it's just being good with the fans..

We've had some twats over the years who also have been pretty unsuccessful!

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Shez had the 2 Shezzurections (and gave a third a good go last year) and took us to the play-offs, so I don't think it's just being good with the fans..

To be fair I did say mainly because of the fan relationship and also reference his on pitch achievements, so I wasn't saying it was just being good with the fans.  Shez also had that relationship with us through times when the club was about as anti-fan as it gets... with the Corney, Lemsegam and Barry Owen involvement. So that relationship was massively important for fans to have any sort of connection with the club at the time.

In theory we shouldn't need that any more because the club is now very fan focused at it's core. So I guess my take is that Unsworth being fan friendly is not as important or as needed as it has been in the past.  It doesn't mean he shouldn't be trying to achieve it of course!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

To be fair I did say mainly because of the fan relationship and also reference his on pitch achievements, so I wasn't saying it was just being good with the fans.  Shez also had that relationship with us through times when the club was about as anti-fan as it gets... with the Corney, Lemsegam and Barry Owen involvement. So that relationship was massively important for fans to have any sort of connection with the club at the time.

In theory we shouldn't need that any more because the club is now very fan focused at it's core. So I guess my take is that Unsworth being fan friendly is not as important or as needed as it has been in the past.  It doesn't mean he shouldn't be trying to achieve it of course!

Yeah, soz I didn't read your post properly.

Personally, I think it's quite important for the manager to have a good relationship with the fans, for both sides.  We might have a bit of patience with David if he acted like a he gave a shit about the time, money and effort given to supporting the club and it would also bring the sense of unity together a bit more.  I get the thought process that it doesn't matter as long as he gets the results, mind

When we're lifting the play-off trophy in May, I assume he'll be off down the tunnel at full-time and starting the car while Ebbrell gets the photos with the trophy and deals with the media!

• Like 3

He just stands near the dug out, waits for every player to get off the pitch and then when there are about 200 fans left in the stadium he claps. I stayed behind on Tuesday to watch if he did anything and that’s what he did. I don’t get why he doesn’t just walk over, assume he wants to see every play off the pitch first. I don’t get it and it’s fine when you are winning. The interview situation is bizzare, not even doing pre match interviews now. 

The club want to be more engaged with the fans, the main connection between club and fans in the manager, they need to sort it. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

He just stands near the dug out, waits for every player to get off the pitch and then when there are about 200 fans left in the stadium he claps. I stayed behind on Tuesday to watch if he did anything and that’s what he did. I don’t get why he doesn’t just walk over, assume he wants to see every play off the pitch first. I don’t get it and it’s fine when you are winning. The interview situation is bizzare, not even doing pre match interviews now. 

The club want to be more engaged with the fans, the main connection between club and fans in the manager, they need to sort it. 

Good post. 

I’m not asking for a fist pumping Ian Dowie, just someone who doesn’t self sabotage and whose actions (not words) show he’s with us. 

Feels like he’s in it for himself, or he’s above us in some way- which is fine if you’re winning. But when/if things turn sour it quickly becomes him and us. 

I just think any manager that doesn’t at least try to get the fans onside

is ultimately making a rod for their own back. But again, it’s only really noticeable when we’re not winning.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, disjointed said:

With some of the shite he spouts we should be grateful he is leaving it to Ebbrell. 

To be honest, after listening to Ebbrell’s interviews, my advice to Unsworth next time he pre-plans not to do one would be ‘send Jeffers instead.’

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JoeP said:

I'm not sure we can say he gave the 3rd a good go. We lost 10 of our last 12 as we limped into the National League. 

His best work was 15/16 when he managed to save us from the mess Kelly, Dunn and Corney got us in...

4 hours ago, League one forever said:

Fair enough. 

Which must mean you believe every word he says, the press are always made to wait- Despite this never happening before. People looking though the window and seeing his car had gone is perfectly normal. The shocked look on Ebrel’s face and inability to construct a coherent sentence when asked - where’s the gaffer, was because he was suppressing a fart. 

I’m also enjoying yourself and others commenting on it- and when challenged on your view, saying move on. 😂😂

I’ve got same thing to say on this thread.

Really? I disagree.

Whatever - move on.

Great chat. 

As ripostes go, that really wasn’t very good 😌 

3 hours ago, JoeP said:

He was also a great player for us and a coach who remained loyal through the (bastard) Moore debacle. I think he's earned his status.

• Like 2

Re Unsworth/Ebbrell/interviewgate:

I respect DU insofar as, having left Ebbrell to deal with the interview after the Gateshead shambles, he had the decency to let him do the post-York one following a decent win. That’s fair play by DU. He’s still on probation for me, though!

9 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

I respect DU insofar as, having left Ebbrell to deal with the interview after the Gateshead shambles, he had the decency to let him do the post-York one following a decent win. That’s fair play by DU. He’s still on probation for me, though!

I think he was on the wind-up...

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

I thought him sending Ebbrell out again was quite funny. Sensitive some people in here. Few basically frothing at the mouth in anger

I haven't seen much frothing at the mouth in anger.

I did see the funny side of the "trolling" by Unsworth, to be honest.

I think we all know where we stand now - Unsworth isn't arsed what the fans think or about their input, while the fans on the whole don't really like him and would rather have someone else.  Both sides want the same thing - success for the club - so lets just see how it works out.  As I say, the best case scenario here is if he does well and someone comes in for him and we get decent compo, then appoint better.  Having set the line in the sand, he might have to be prepared for some less than constructive criticism when things aren't going well and give moaning about it in the Oldham Times a miss!

• Like 2

A wins a win but Tuesday was an unconvincing win.  

Granted it’s baby steps and the signing of both Yarney and Shelton is moving us in the right direction.

I would say majority of fans are still wanting DU gone and only a winning streak and surge up the table will change the opinions of most.

For me the front two still look like strangers rather than a partnership.  We’re too narrow with most play through middle resulting in hoof ball.  Most want a RW as Oldham fans were brought up on a team with wingers & width but if that was in DUs plan then he would have sorted that out but hasn’t.

I crave for the zinging, fast-paced attacking play where we played pressing football, played it out wide & created chances aplenty for the front two.  Yes, I want us to win but I want exciting, attractive and attacking play.  Tuesday was more dross than gloss with only Dorking A being anything reminiscent of the Oldham I grew up with.  I want us to unearth the next creative maestro in the middle of the park, the next Holden, Eyres etc on the flank & a new Stitch up front.  I love the history… it’s 10 years to the day we beat Liverpool… I just want this team to create new memories…

Do I see it happening under DU?  Nope.  I guess though we just appreciate that if we get the wins, secure safety, perhaps knock briefly on the door of playoffs then fingers crossed we see a step up next season with a genuine assault on the title.  It’s just not exciting & not mirroring the great work off the pitch.  All credit to DU if he pulls this off but I’ll still be thinking… what if….

Edited by Midsblue
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Worcester Owl said:

Nah, he backed himself into a corner. If we won Ebrell was always going to do it, loss unsworth. I don’t think it was trying to prove a point. Hence meaning he missed a chance to be in front of the camera to celebrate a win.

2 hours ago, Midsblue said:

A wins a win but Tuesday was an unconvincing win.  

Granted it’s baby steps and the signing of both Yarney and Shelton is moving us in the right direction.

I would say majority of fans are still wanting DU gone and only a winning streak and surge up the table will change the opinions of most.

For me the front two still look like strangers rather than a partnership.  We’re too narrow with most play through middle resulting in hoof ball.  Most want a RW as Oldham fans were brought up on a team with wingers & width but if that was in DUs plan then he would have sorted that out but hasn’t.

I crave for the zinging, fast-paced attacking play where we played pressing football, played it out wide & created chances aplenty for the front two.  Yes, I want us to win but I want exciting, attractive and attacking play.  Tuesday was more dross than gloss with only Dorking A being anything reminiscent of the Oldham I grew up with.  I want us to unearth the next creative maestro in the middle of the park, the next Holden, Eyres etc on the flank & a new Stitch up front.  I love the history… it’s 10 years to the day we beat Liverpool… I just want this team to create new memories…

Do I see it happening under DU?  Nope.  I guess though we just appreciate that if we get the wins, secure safety, perhaps knock briefly on the door of playoffs then fingers crossed we see a step up next season with a genuine assault on the title.  It’s just not exciting & not mirroring the great work off the pitch.  All credit to DU if he pulls this off but I’ll still be thinking… what if….

Incredible. I was there and remember it like it was yesterday. Where on earth have those 10 years gone? 

Apart from the Fulham win, not much to cheer about since.