Unsworth

1 minute ago, Dave_Og said:

Not really.  They're contracted, largely until June.  Can't imagine many of them will take, say, three months money rather than five - why would they? - so any reduction in financial commitment won't be very significant

Agreed. But if they did - voila, budget freed up.

3 hours ago, deyres42 said:

There are often exceptions to the rules Pat.

Wealdstone, Eastleigh, Barnet and Bromley all in the top 10 of this squad and have an inferior squad than we do. Even under Sheri, with our supposed "weak budget", we signed the captain of the Champions, a proven EFL goalscorer and someone who has, in the eyes of some, become the best midfielder outside of the Premier League...

1 hour ago, Dave_Og said:

But they won't...  They'd have to be mad!  Especially as it seems evident that no other clubs are interested

The only hope is if they are dropping down far enough that a club wants to get them signed up before their competitors have chance. Seems unlikely though - not sure I'd have them at Wilmslow :chubb:

1 hour ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Wealdstone, Eastleigh, Barnet and Bromley all in the top 10 of this squad and have an inferior squad than we do. Even under Sheri, with our supposed "weak budget", we signed the captain of the Champions, a proven EFL goalscorer and someone who has, in the eyes of some, become the best midfielder outside of the Premier League...

Hogan, Porter - I'm struggling with the last one......? 

2 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

Not really.  They're contracted, largely until June.  Can't imagine many of them will take, say, three months money rather than five - why would they? - so any reduction in financial commitment won't be very significant

Even if we have to pay up their full contracts, we’ll save on all the periphery stuff, like liability insurance, physio fees, lunches. I guess it all adds up.

13 hours ago, hollandspies said:

I remain concerned that we have so many peripheral players still picking up a wage that’s preventing us from strengthening in the key areas that we have already identified. 
To me, It’s fairly clear that Stobbs, Burgess, Angol, Porter, Gardner, McGahey and Maynard are all now ‘surplus to requirements’ and are unlikely to feature again anytime soon in a 16 man match day squad. 
Is this issue holding us back from signing the 2 or 3 key additions we really need to completely alleviate the worry of relegation whilst guaranteeing the optimism of a real challenge next season? 

Don't think any were Unsworth signings so what's your point?

They are under contract so we are stuck with them or at least stuck with paying them off.

Not sure what the best managers are supposed to do in that situation??

Look he's not done great and made many mistakes like any rookie manager would do.

But let's judge his results from now on, as in his words he's now got a squad he can work with.

In a neither in or out man at the moment. I'm reserving judgement until Easter when we should be relatively safe or shitting it😬

16 hours ago, Wardie said:

Maybe Frank was stating the bleeding obvious in saying "Avoiding relegation". If that target is achieved this season, I think it will be a few seasons before promotion becomes feasible, with Unsworth at the helm. *

* I forgot to add..if at all.

Maybe, maybe not Wardie.

But the 3 biggest spenders Wrexham, Notts C, and Chesterfield have not been out of this League for a combined 26 (ish) seasons....

Think that demonstrates just how difficult it's going to be whoever the manager is to get back into the EFL.

And how long did it take last season's biggest spenders Stockport to get promoted??

Just look at some of the many managers who failed at these clubs during that period.

Appreciate all opinions around Unsworth and why we are not (and should be doing better). Just think we need to see what happens in the next few months before we roll the dice again...

• Like 3

4 hours ago, nzlatic said:

But Unsworth didn't spend 100% of his budget on the day he started?

I'm missing the point you're making.

We were 14th, he had inherited a supposedly incapable squad, between then and now has been allowed to spend and we're now 20th.

Edited by JoeP

7 minutes ago, JoeP said:

We were 14th, he had inherited a supposedly incapable squad, between then and now has been allowed to spend and we're now 20th.

I may have misunderstood your point.  The point I'm trying to make is the budget comparison is a red herring. Yes he's spent money but that's involved a big change in personal (half the starting 11 are new signings). So that might take time to come good.

It is also the case that someone else might have made it work faster. But because it hasn't worked already with Unsworth, it doesn't mean it never will.

9 minutes ago, JoeP said:

He saying you can’t judge him because some of the signings are new, and the squad is constantly evolving. Rather than him picking the 25 he wants in the summer and being judged from there. 

There is some credence in that view, but he could and should have done incrementally better as the squad evolved. 

5 minutes ago, League one forever said:

He saying you can’t judge him because some of the signings are new, and the squad is constantly evolving. Rather than him picking the 25 he wants in the summer and being judged from there. 

There is some credence in that view, but he could and should have done incrementally better as the squad evolved. 

He's starting to do that isn't he...?