Unsworth

59 minutes ago, PeteG said:

Didn't really need to, there were hundreds and soon thousands of people who were protesting against them but now the same people seem to be walking round with their eyes closed

Some of us are giving the present board the benefit of the doubt, because it’s the first time for over 15 yrs that we have had a board who are trying to improve things and turn us back into a proper football club. Paying bills for instance. I think I heard that the medical department are even having the bill for the strapping for players ankles paid. 

5 hours ago, Careca9 said:

Yeah agree, I recall him saying it doesn’t matter if we are at home or away. That is elite/big club mentality that you play same wherever as u boss games home and away. It’s odd then that his defensive tactics don’t link in with that thinking. He’s missing the lower league values of organisation, hard work, home crowd advantage that gives small teams little wins here and there. Without it u just rely on quality and when u aren’t a top team packed with the best players it doesn’t work 

Not sure about this... spent a lot of his career with Everton who for most of the time he was there were languishing in the bottom-half of the division. I'd have thought that hard work, exploiting home advantage and squeezing as much out of fairly limited players (at that level) would be right up his street... 

11 hours ago, OneSizeFitz said:

Not sure about this... spent a lot of his career with Everton who for most of the time he was there were languishing in the bottom-half of the division. I'd have thought that hard work, exploiting home advantage and squeezing as much out of fairly limited players (at that level) would be right up his street... 

Yeah but it's this non-contact football that's killing us. OK in the kids game but not the mens.

13 hours ago, OneSizeFitz said:

Yes, but you need a lot more in terms of technique and tactical awareness, wherever you are in the top flight. Players at our level need to keep it simple.

Still, they need to be organised, which we're not, motivated, which they're not, and have a work ethic, which they don't have. They're a shambles. Parkinson's Wrexham play simple football, but they do it well. 

Unsworth is a very inexperienced manager for this level. That in itself is okay as long as he is learning and there is progress in each aspect of his job.

It is fair to say that there has been some improvement in results this year. However performances in general have been patchy at best and the style of play grueling to watch. A progress of sorts, possibly...

Off the pitch, one area where I would like to see some progression, is in his post match interviews.

Sometimes Dave you just have to tell it like it is. The performance on and off the pitch at Gateshead was, for the main part, shockingly poor. The defending for the first goal encapsulates all that is wrong with the team's approach at the moment.

If Unsworth had called the team out, without naming individuals, and also held his hands up regarding his tactics, then he might get some leeway from the fans. I know it is difficult to strike the right balance in front of the cameras but he must not take us fans for fools.

If he continues to spout the same old drivel week in week out, and the poor play continues, he will risk losing the support of even the most loyal fans(*).

* There will be around 1200 from Oldham at Chesterfield this coming Saturday - if we put in a performance like Tuesday's then it could be a rough ride for the team and management.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Unsworth is a very inexperienced manager for this level. That in itself is okay as long as he is learning and there is progress in each aspect of his job.

It is fair to say that there has been some improvement in results this year. However performances in general have been patchy at best and the style of play grueling to watch. A progress of sorts, possibly...

Off the pitch, one area where I would like to see some progression, is in his post match interviews.

Sometimes Dave you just have to tell it like it is. The performance on and off the pitch at Gateshead was, for the main part, shockingly poor. The defending for the first goal encapsulates all that is wrong with the team's approach at the moment.

If Unsworth had called the team out, without naming individuals, and also held his hands up regarding his tactics, then he might get some leeway from the fans. I know it is difficult to strike the right balance in front of the cameras but he must not take us fans for fools.

If he continues to spout the same old drivel week in week out, and the poor play continues, he will risk losing the support of even the most loyal fans(*).

* There will be around 1200 from Oldham at Chesterfield this coming Saturday - if we put in a performance like Tuesday's then it could be a rough ride for the team and management.

I think he has lost a lot of the fans already, for some there is no way back. Like you say, Chesterfield could be a rough ride, if it's shite as per, I won't be holding back. 

9 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Good post. 

Ive defended the upturn in results, but it’s fair to say that while they picked up the underlying issues haven’t- the performances/lack of honesty/accountability in interviews. 

I suspect we’ll hobble along and do just enough to stay up- which is no achievement, and big decisions need to be made in the summer. (I still they’ll keep him if we stay up. . . ) 

24 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Some might say a section of supporters have already decided he isn't up to the job and want him gone regardless so it doesn't really matter what he does or doesn't say...

24 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Is taking ownership of your mistakes something that can be taught at his age?

1 hour ago, TheBigDog said:

Yep agree with a lot of this.

Look at Marc at Dorking. 

When they were shit at defending against us he just came out and said it as it was, and everyone loved him for it...bar the Dorking defenders of course

I know I've said it about a dozen times but watch his very first interview with the club it's bordering on comedy goal, whilst not quite baying for his blood and wanting to give him every opportunity I called him out as a bullshitter from near on day one and my opinion on that hasn't changed a bit, our fans just won't take to him and that's his own fault, he behaves in an almost untouchable, entitled way, he hasn't had to earn anything and has an arrogance about him and a lack of humility and self awareness for someone who is effectively a novice and a shit one at that.

Problem I have with Unsworth now isn't really the man himself, he's hopelessly exposed and really needs to be relieved of his duties - the issue I now have is with the board who despite all the great work are effectively undoing that by continuing to back him come what may, in every poll I've read and we haven't seen a recent one around 90% of the fan base want him gone it's probably 95%+ now, when the new board rode in to town didn't they claim the club was the fans, they made quite a big point of this bit the reality is it's Darren Royles little play thing now, he's ultimately to blame and I won't criticise him at length because he made a massive contribution to save the club but the whole Unsworth debacle has for me been a serious lack of judgement, from the snidey way they worked him in to the club to the way they protect him now despite his obvious failings leaves a bad taste for me, you can't blame the Rothwell's they will be being guided in this and I'm sure they can't be happy with the situation because it's obvious to all it just isn't working, it's a fucking big mess and leaves the club with a real battle on it's hands to protect it's Level 5 status, another relegation is almost unthinkable but it is a real possibility given our run of fixtures over the next month or two where it's hard to see where the next win comes from, Unsworth is gone it's just a matter of when he goes and if there is enough time to salvage the season.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

Yep agree with a lot of this.

Look at Marc at Dorking. 

When they were shit at defending against us he just came out and said it as it was, and everyone loved him for it...bar the Dorking defenders of course

Helps having that level of honesty when you own the club and pay the wages from top to bottom, be great if every manager could be as frank and honest as that but the reality is far different because players now are far too precious. 

1 minute ago, yarddog73 said:

I know I've said it about a dozen times but watch his very first interview with the club it's bordering on comedy goal, whilst not quite baying for his blood and wanting to give him every opportunity I called him out as a bullshitter from near on day one and my opinion on that hasn't changed a bit, our fans just won't take to him and that's his own fault, he behaves in an almost untouchable, entitled way, he hasn't had to earn anything and has an arrogance about him and a lack of humility and self awareness for someone who is effectively a novice and a shit one at that.

Problem I have with Unsworth now isn't really the man himself, he's hopelessly exposed and really needs to be relieved of his duties - the issue I now have is with the board who despite all the great work are effectively undoing that by continuing to back him come what may, in every poll I've read and we haven't seen a recent one around 90% of the fan base want him gone it's probably 95%+ now, when the new board rode in to town didn't they claim the club was the fans, they made quite a big point of this bit the reality is it's Darren Royles little play thing now, he's ultimately to blame and I won't criticise him at length because he made a massive contribution to save the club but the whole Unsworth debacle has for me been a serious lack of judgement, from the snidey way they worked him in to the club to the way they protect him now despite his obvious failings leaves a bad taste for me, you can't blame the Rothwell's they will be being guided in this and I'm sure they can't be happy with the situation because it's obvious to all it just isn't working, it's a fucking big mess and leaves the club with a real battle on it's hands to protect it's Level 5 status, another relegation is almost unthinkable but it is a real possibility given our run of fixtures over the next month or two where it's hard to see where the next win comes from, Unsworth is gone it's just a matter of when he goes and if there is enough time to salvage the season.

He isn't getting sacked before the summer unless something drastic happens so some might say it is time for the best fans in the land to show what about they are all about, roar the team to safety in the remaining fixtures and then we can assess things in the break.

4 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Helps having that level of honesty when you own the club and pay the wages from top to bottom, be great if every manager could be as frank and honest as that but the reality is far different because players now are far too precious. 

Some might say that a few managers in recent times have 'told it like it is' and it hasn't been well received by sections of the supporters.

2 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

He isn't getting sacked before the summer unless something drastic happens so some might say it is time for the best fans in the land to show what about they are all about, roar the team to safety in the remaining fixtures and then we can assess things in the break.

We can “roar” the team to safety until we’re blue in the face but they don’t seem capable of doing it themselves. Despite the admirable efforts of fans this season it has not translated to the pitch.

8 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Why don't we just top it off with the 'we are staying up' chant against Bromley at home, that would really put the icing on the cake on such a great season as we avoid relegation on the last game of the season against Bromley at home, what an achievement that would be.

As for best fans in the country ours are probably amongst the best and not many would take 1500 away to Chesterfield in the circumstances I'd that includes teams all the way up to the Championship, it's weird your obsession with our own fans.

Edited by yarddog73

4 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Why don't we just top it off with the 'we are staying up' chant against Bromley at home, that would really put the icing on the cake on such a great season as we avoid relegation on the last game of the season against Bromley at home, what an achievement that would be.

As for best fans in the country ours are probably amongst the best and not many would take 1500 away to Chesterfield in the circumstances I'd that includes teams all the way up to the Championship, it's weird your obsession with our own fans.

Some might say an obsession with trying to claim goals and wins don't count and get a manager the sack whilst he's on his best run in the job is a bit weird also.

19 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

A bad afternoon on Saturday could spell the end, I reckon...

2 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

...also held his hands up regarding his tactics, then he might get some leeway from the fans.

This is his biggest problem, off the pitch. He comes across like his shit don't stink. And given the budget and league position that's a bold strategy. 

2 hours ago, JoeP said:

Is taking ownership of your mistakes something that can be taught at his age?

Yes. But it's a rough road and I've seen nothing to suggest he's on it!

1 hour ago, deyres42 said:

Some might say an obsession with trying to claim goals and wins don't count and get a manager the sack whilst he's on his best run in the job is a bit weird also.

Some can't see the wood for the trees Rob, if you think he's the man fair play for the optimism but your becoming a bit of a one man band in your David Unsworth is a football genius fan group, go to some games and then you might be able to judge for yourself rather than taking your contrary view based against the general consensus on here and Twatter.