Unsworth

15 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Chapman and Shelton have no drive, hence the  previous pedestrian midfield performances. At least when Gardner is fit he shows zest and ups the tempo.

He makes mistakes, but we have previously had players frightened of making mistakes - leaving us with  a negative team.

Gardner and Rooney changed that last night for the better.

I get you don't like Gardner and relish posting his faults, but praise for changing the game last night should be acknowledged.

Not sure that’s right about Shelton having no drive. He’s a box to box midfielder, or at least was under his previous managers.

2 hours ago, kowenicki said:

This.

People missing the fact Gardner gave the ball away quite a bit last night for some inexplicable reason. one was s suicidal pass that we were lucky wasn’t converted by Dag.

Ironically, the best goal of the evening came from an awful attempted cross from Gardner that was easily cleared. Luckily it fell straight to Sheron. 

He gives it away at times because he tries things. The other midfielders we have used (not Rooney) either give the ball away, lump it or just pass it back. DG and JR will give the ball away at times but they'll also create far far more than we usually do.

4 hours ago, Shrek said:

The more I think about Askey turning up like some seedy old man while the jobs not vacant the less I like him.

I am fully hoping Unsworth turns this round now.

I don't think he turned up uninvited, somehow...unless he's scouting.

5 hours ago, Shrek said:

The more I think about Askey turning up like some seedy old man while the jobs not vacant the less I like him.

I am fully hoping Unsworth turns this round now.

I don't get it. His record is very ordinary, at best.

Ambition - Wild. If not, then someone like Greening. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, bigfatjoe1 said:

I don't get it. His record is very ordinary, at best.

Ambition - Wild. If not, then someone like Greening. 

Wild is ambitious? Not sure what he's actually achieved really. Seems a decent manager from a far but ambitious?

Halifax, still here. Barrow, league two mid table. He's hardly unique. 

Ambitious for me would be a Cowley or someone with a similar trajectory. 

All pie in the sky at this point.

13 hours ago, Shrek said:

Wild is ambitious? Not sure what he's actually achieved really. Seems a decent manager from a far but ambitious?

Ambitious for me would be a Cowley or someone with a similar trajectory. 

All pie in the sky at this point.

Crowley trajectory has , to say the least, stalled. 

16 hours ago, Shrek said:

Have a listen to the Phone-In from last night - Wild is ambitious, but is just being clever about it.  He's not rushing to the top to "fall off a cliff" in his words, but taking his time, learning all he can and making a career out of it.

It was really interesting what he had to say - he's a very astute manager.  Particularly relevant to us was that he insists on having the final say on recruitment, in spite of the background research from other departments of the football club and also why it's important to persevere with Plan A and not panic and go straight to Plan B (although I do wonder what you'd do if Plan A is rubbish to start with!!).

I'd love it if he came back here, however I think it'd be clubs who are above where he is now who'll be after him rather than ones beneath!

1 hour ago, JoeP said:

I'd love it if he came back here, however I think it'd be clubs who are above where he is now who'll be after him rather than ones beneath!

I get the impression he would love to come back at some point.

I also think he would even be prepared to drop down a division if he had to as under our current ownership we are a far more attractive proposition than Barrow.

We were a proper basket case when he left the club and it was probably too soon for him anyway.

I would love Unsworth to succeed here but having a fan as an owner and a fan as manager would be be brilliant.

A successful Rothwell / Wild combination could really get this town’s football club absolutely rocking!!

• Like 1

On 2/8/2023 at 3:17 PM, BP1960 said:

Chapman and Shelton have no drive, hence the  previous pedestrian midfield performances. At least when Gardner is fit he shows zest and ups the tempo.

He makes mistakes, but we have previously had players frightened of making mistakes - leaving us with  a negative team.

Gardner and Rooney changed that last night for the better.

I get you don't like Gardner and relish posting his faults, but praise for changing the game last night should be acknowledged.

Rooney had a better game than Gardner. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oafc1955 said:

I get the impression he would love to come back at some point.

I also think he would even be prepared to drop down a division if he had to as under our current ownership we are a far more attractive proposition than Barrow.

We were a proper basket case when he left the club and it was probably too soon for him anyway.

I would love Unsworth to succeed here but having a fan as an owner and a fan as manager would be be brilliant.

A successful Rothwell / Wild combination could really get this town’s football club absolutely rocking!!

He's won 1 game in 11...

6 hours ago, JoeP said:

Have a listen to the Phone-In from last night - Wild is ambitious, but is just being clever about it.  He's not rushing to the top to "fall off a cliff" in his words, but taking his time, learning all he can and making a career out of it.

It was really interesting what he had to say - he's a very astute manager.  Particularly relevant to us was that he insists on having the final say on recruitment, in spite of the background research from other departments of the football club and also why it's important to persevere with Plan A and not panic and go straight to Plan B (although I do wonder what you'd do if Plan A is rubbish to start with!!).

We are all ambitious at times in our career. 

My point was he's not an ambitious target for us. Take away the latics link and people wouldn't be too keen. 

11 hours ago, Shrek said:

My point was he's not an ambitious target for us. Take away the latics link and people wouldn't be too keen. 

Who would you consider an ambitious target for us, then?

11 hours ago, Shrek said:

Peter Wild would have been perfect for us THIS season - he had managed Halifax to a fourth place final position and knew the standard of the league and the good players- it was unfortunate that the takeover hadn’t gone through earlier. 

18 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Simon Weaver or Matt Gray...

Unfortunately neither are realistic targets…

Matt Gray, born in London and spent his whole life south of Watford - managing Sutton United and would probably only move to a southern based club

Simon Weaver, has been at Harrogate for yonks (since 2009) and his dad is chairman… 

8 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Unfortunately neither are realistic targets…

Matt Gray, born in London and spent his whole life south of Watford - managing Sutton United and would probably only move to a southern based club

Simon Weaver, has been at Harrogate for yonks (since 2009) and his dad is chairman… 

Added to that, they’re both below Pete Wild’s Barrow in the table.

• Like 1