Unsworth

4 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Some can't see the wood for the trees Rob, if you think he's the man fair play for the optimism but your becoming a bit of a one man band in your David Unsworth is a football genius fan group, go to some games and then you might be able to judge for yourself rather than taking your contrary view based against the general consensus on here and Twatter. 

He can go now for me Faz, certainly wouldn't shedding any tears, just don't think it is necessarily the silver bullet those frothing at the mouth over him losing his job think it is.

3 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

He can go now for me Faz, certainly wouldn't shedding any tears, just don't think it is necessarily the silver bullet those frothing at the mouth over him losing his job think it is.

Can't see any frothing just genuine concern, another relegation would be unimaginable. 

4 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Can't see any frothing just genuine concern, another relegation would be unimaginable. 

Three spots are already locked in, Dorking, Maidstone and Scunthorpe and there's enough teams in the mix to ensure we don't need to do much more than a point a game from here.

At the risk of repeating myself - we won't go down in spite of Unsworth but that's missing the point completely. He has shown no signs whatsoever of being the manager capable of bringing back even a modicum of success on the playing front. It's just foolish sticking with him because the next manager will "want his own people" etc. and we have to splash out all over again. Get rid of the incompetent DU and have a proper process to recruit the next fella ASAP. Might cost us short term on paying off the silly contracts we dished out on the ex-Everton mob but it will certainly pay dividends in the long term - which is what it's all supposed to be about isn't it?

They are losing my "pay on the day" money every week now because I refuse to be bored to death watching his drivel any longer - I have little doubt more fans will do similar the longer this goes on.

It's all so bloody sad after the euphoria of saving the club. We want a feel good factor around the place and only a winning mentality will create that - DU clearly doesn't have one.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, OAFC_ULTRA said:

We always start the first half and second  half brightly and seem to move the ball around quickly but it lasts for five or ten minutes then resort to Unsworth shit ‘dont lose’ tactics 

So they ignore his tactics just after he's spoken to them but then they remember them 10 mins later?

Or they go out do as they're told and then drop off because they're absolute maggots.

1 hour ago, LaticsPete said:

One success at Lincoln 

Sacked at pompey and Huddersfield 

Richie Wellens sacked by Oldham, now top of league one with Leyton Orient

Cowley Brothers record at Portsmouth  

Portsmouth 19 March 2021 2 January 2023 97 42 27 28 43.3%
Edited by Dew Dilly Dance
Typo

4 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

I think the answer is a short term fix until the end of the season and then appoint in the summer. I'd look at Mike Williamson at Gateshead, and not just cos they've beaten us recently. He's done really well there...

Even Shaun Williamson would do a better job than Unsworth. Could give us some pre-match entertainment as well.

2 minutes ago, Sloshed Joe said:

Even Shaun Williamson would do a better job than Unsworth. Could give us some pre-match entertainment as well.

No Shaun, we can't play 1 upfront at home, the natives will lose their shit...

Shaun: we're gonna do it anywayyyyy

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

I think the answer is a short term fix until the end of the season and then appoint in the summer. I'd look at Mike Williamson at Gateshead, and not just cos they've beaten us recently. He's done really well there...

Nah, appoint now, finish strongly, let the new man get to know the squad and what needs doing over the summer so he gets a head start.

Otherwise, you're looking at a Dean Holden post-LJ scenario which benefits no one...

17 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Nah, appoint now, finish strongly, let the new man get to know the squad and what needs doing over the summer so he gets a head start.

Otherwise, you're looking at a Dean Holden post-LJ scenario which benefits no one...

Think you'll be struggling to lure anyone who is in work at this time of year.

So you are either going down the rookie route or the flopped elsewhere route. Risky biz.

42 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Why would he leave Gateshead for an interim job here?

10 hours ago, deyres42 said:

Think you'll be struggling to lure anyone who is in work at this time of year.

So you are either going down the rookie route or the flopped elsewhere route. Risky biz.

How about a experienced manager with 100s and 100s of game’s under his belt. Has a promotion under his cv, experienced in this league? Knows how’s to pick up a team up in a relegation battle, Jesus like tendency’s ? glassof sherri anyone?  

Another day gone and gobsmacked he’s not been sacked.  Was in meetings all day yesterday and expected to read his departure after the Gateshead debacle.

His position is untenable and I’m uncertain why the owners are stalling.  It has to be the money or Royle is “back him or sack me”.  Either way, who gives an untested manager a three year deal?  Especially one who’s only coached at U23 and no experience whatsoever at this level, managing senior players or a track record in recruitment.  Madness.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing so giving the owners the benefit of the doubt, what has DU delivered thus far that assures us that he’s the one to lead us next season?

1. He’s been given the largest financial backing in this league this season outside of Wrexham.

2. He’s been given time to recruit, coach and build his team yet performances have gone backwards and each match, we look inferior to every opposition and stink each stadium out.

3. This is a team compromising of “quality players with decent track records” from league above,  players from a championship winning team and players of the season.  It’s not a rag tag combination so based on most already having played together, majority with these track records and goals within them, why are they so woeful for 70+ minutes each game?  

4. The last 5 games have fielded 70-80% of his signings yet shown no signs of any improvement over the side that started this season.  Each win or draw - aside from Dorking - has been fluky and not one built on dominance.  Tuesday proved results will be fortuitous rather than expected.

5. Tactics, work rate and confidence is a major concern.  Bearing in mind this is a coach, the body language of our players suggest otherwise.  He’s not getting the best, they’re not following his so called tactics that he states post match, and his substitutions to turn a game are baffling.

What are the Royles and Rothwells watching that we’re not?  Aside from the wage slip of DU and his coaching team or the termination compensation clause in their contracts?  Surely there must be some form of break clause - or should have been - and if not, it questions the acumen of our board.  This was a bloke who wasn’t being chased by clubs, wasn’t in demand, left Everton under a cloud yet we rolled out the red carpet bankrolling him to the medium risk of our clubs fortunes.

Excuses will be made Saturday when, as expected, we lose against Chesterfield.  How many more losses or unconvincing results do we have to endure until the owners admit they’ve made a monumental mistake here?

He needs to go.  Needs to go now.  We need to secure a proven manager at this level not just to safeguard our season but build for next season and beyond.  Granted it will be a challenge to buy a manager out of their existing contract but this appointment is worth that investment.  No arrogance but we are one of the big clubs in this league and, no disrespect to great clubs like Gateshead, Aldershot, Solihull but we should be outplaying and out scoring even with the squad we have.  If we continue limping in this condition, gates will fall, STs will not renew and money needed to get us out this league with not be there.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

52 minutes ago, latics22 said:

How about a experienced manager with 100s and 100s of game’s under his belt. Has a promotion under his cv, experienced in this league? Knows how’s to pick up a team up in a relegation battle, Jesus like tendency’s ? glassof sherri anyone?  

Some might say he caused enough damage in the summer...

• Like 1