MATCH: Peterborough Sports (H) 20/12/22 - FA Trophy 3rd Round

I said to my mate who I go with that there were flashes of promise after the Torquay match ........ especially coming off the bench now! I take it all back. Maynard shouldnt make the B teams bench, we need a right back. Abraham is not a winger and finally they couldn't beat us with 10 men and we wouldn't have beat them with 14. The only plus from last night was I could get a bovril easily before kick off and at half time!

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, AnthonyOAFC said:

Why does he take Reid off every game? Reid must be wondering why he bothered coming here. 

This is perplexing. He plays him up front on his own asking him to work tirelessly and then takes him off and goes to two up top… why Dave, why?

2 hours ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

This Notts County double header… neither are "must-win" games, but in my eyes they are "must-perform" games. 

…without improvement Unsworth could easily take us down.

👏 This is the crux of the matter for me.

However, if we lose the next three then Unsworth’s league record would read:

P15 W2 D3 L10 Points 9 from 45 😱😱

46 minutes ago, andy_b_100 said:

I said to my mate who I go with that there were flashes of promise after the Torquay match ........ especially coming off the bench now! I take it all back. Maynard shouldnt make the B teams bench, we need a right back. Abraham is not a winger and finally they couldn't beat us with 10 men and we wouldn't have beat them with 14. The only plus from last night was I could get a bovril easily before kick off and at half time!

+1 for the Bovril, had a cup at the Torquay match and loved it so I bought a jar from Asda and had a mug full when I got home from last nights miserable game, cheered me up after being so miserable after ninety minutes.

Guest Stanley30
51 minutes ago, AnthonyOAFC said:

Why does he take Reid off every game? Reid must be wondering why he bothered coming here. 

How many games has he played now? 

I’m hoping for no more long breaks between games now which might help us gain a tiny bit of cohesion. Feels like we’ve had a real stop start couple of months and we need the regular football again. Can’t believe a league game was sacrificed for that last night, then again a league game may well have ended in defeat again the way we played 

3 hours ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

Following on from the Notts County double header, we have 11 league games in January and February (plus Gateshead in the Trophy).  The last of those 11 is Chesterfield and there are a couple of games against teams currently in the playoffs (Southend and Barnet).  The rest are against teams in mid-table or the bottom half. 

We need to be picking up wins from those games and quite frankly a club of our stature should expect to win those games.  This Notts County double header isn't the same and neither are "must-win" games, but in my eyes they are "must-perform" games. 

There is some deadwood in the squad but I also believe that there is enough in this squad to be able to compete with any team in this league if managed correctly.  If Unsworth can't get his team competing in these matches then I'd be happy to take a chance on someone else getting a tune out of the squad from Dorking onwards, because without improvement Unsworth could easily take us down.

This is where I'm at I didn't go last night. The games against Notts County is must perform not must win get what we can from them.

But from then on in its time to shit or get off the potty! because in the second half of the season results must improve. I don't ant us to sack another manager but relegation to regional football is should be unthinkable and we are staring down the barrel of that if we don't pick up. At most we probably need 2 signings a right back and a defensive mid from their any competent manager should be able to get this team performing to a level way above the bottom 4. He's had the backing that previous managers could only dream off and certainly alot more than clubs in and around us. our squad man for man while not promotion contenders should be knowhere near the bottom 4.

3 hours ago, LightDN123 said:

Agree that the utter confusion at the end was the best part of the game. Why the fuck the club didn’t announce what would happen if it was a draw after 90mins I don’t know, but some clarity would be better going forward! 

First and last time in the North stand last night - where is the tannoy? I couldn't hear anything at all -  just 10 miniutes of 'buzzing' at the beginning...  maybe if that was working then they could have announced what was happening..

3 hours ago, LightDN123 said:

Agree that the utter confusion at the end was the best part of the game. Why the fuck the club didn’t announce what would happen if it was a draw after 90mins I don’t know, but some clarity would be better going forward! 

It wouldn't have made a difference in the North Stand. You can't hear a thing on the PA. We must be contravening all kinds of health and safety standards in there. I'd shut it down until we get our house in order.

2 hours ago, redlion said:

+1 for the Bovril, had a cup at the Torquay match and loved it so I bought a jar from Asda and had a mug full when I got home from last nights miserable game, cheered me up after being so miserable after ninety minutes.

A couple of years ago I was in a halftime queue at a non-league game.  It was absolutely freezing.  A couple of kids in front had clearly never heard of Bovril and were asking each other what it was.  I leaned over and jus said 'It's liquid cow'.  They looked at me like I was a bit weird...and  ordered soup

22 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

A couple of years ago I was in a halftime queue at a non-league game.  It was absolutely freezing.  A couple of kids in front had clearly never heard of Bovril and were asking each other what it was.  I leaned over and jus said 'It's liquid cow'.  They looked at me like I was a bit weird...and  ordered soup

Should of shown them this 

The 4 2 3 1 we started with didn’t work. It didn’t work after 5 minutes and was still obviously not working after half time when Reid was taken off and low great tidings of joy we played 4 4 2 and had a shot on target!  Hope was then injured after our allotted substitutes were made and down to 10 men but we did finish the game faster than we started. Is a draw against a team 11 places below us a positive result?  I expect it isn’t as if he starts 4231 against Notts County the discontent with the thrashing they will give us will know no bounds. 
The surprise of the night was our wonderful Canadian making three saves during both the 90 minutes and the penalty shoot out. Let’s hope he leaves on this high. 

15 hours ago, nzlatic said:

If we’d won 3-0 the Unsworth outers would have dismissed this game as irrelevant. 

We drew 0-0 and suddenly it’s proof he should be sacked immediately. 

I’m with Lags. All very “meh”

The proof is surely that he had two wins in 16 games with a 50% loss rate going in to last nights game against the might of Peterborough Sports.

Truth is that last nights result IS largely irrelevant in the context of his undeniable failure to date. If he’d won within 90 minutes last night he’d still be a failure so far. 

He needs to start winning league games regularly. He needs to get performances out of the team too. What will the mood be should we lose our next three league games (highly likely)?

Worth mentioning that the commentary team of our last game on BT sports maintained that this squad is “good enough to be contending and that there can be no more excuses”. 

5 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Back to the game, I thought Peterborough were absolutely dreadful. Could barely string two passes together and looked a much weaker side than Chester did when we played them, despite there only being 4 places between them...

Yes they were dreadful and our players were obviously much better yet still gave a totally inept display. Why ?

5 hours ago, andy_b_100 said:

Let's give Jayson some credit, and, for laughs, that penalty from Rooney. Add bovril to that and we have three great things, and all for a reduced entrance fee. 

I’m a firm believer that we shouldn’t chop and change managers.  

If we were safely mid-table then I’d happily persevere with DU to see how his plans map out.  

However we’re not, facing relegation square in the face and I honestly cannot see any positives from the selection, formation, tactics or body language of our players.

If Matt & Dave interview him again, I want to know what’s he’s expecting to achieve with the lineup last night and his formation & tactics overall.  Reid is a striker who was amongst leading goal scorers and effective playing off a strike partner.  He’s come here, isolated in the front three and now impotent in front of goal.  We have three strikers and there was absolutely no threat last night either - it’s perplexing to see.

Granted DU inherited some dross but most have been offloaded or dumped. He’s signed 5-6 of the starting 11 for last 8 or so games but there has been no progress whatsoever but a major step back versus the previous eleven he and everyone criticised as needed strengthening.

Once Nuttall is in the side, thatll be the three strikers DU has signed to play his 433.  If they’re equally ineffective then what then?  Do we persevere with him, risk relegation and blow even more budget letting him strengthen further?  

….Or do we cut losses, get another manager in and one who can reorganise the team that has the players who are more than capable of a top 3 finish at this level?  Tollitt, Nuttall, Reid, Rooney, Fondop and Abrahams are six players who should score us loads of goals - we also have players who can supply the chances to convert but we need to sort that formation.  Kitching and Couto on the left will give us width and supply from the flank.  Wellens was a promising RB but we need another plus a RW.  Would just be interesting if we played Fondop & Reid together in middle, pump balls in and around the box for Findop to lay off to Reid or even Rooney or Tollitt behind them.  Yet we pass sideways or backwards before hoofing to the strikers leaving them isolated and lose the ball.

Archived