BPAS PODCAST: 9th Jan '23, S3:E21: Wondop's on Fire

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, BPAS said:

….I predicted (as you well know) this season would be bobbins and next season would see us compete for the top 7. It’s working out as I expected so far…..

edit, ok, it’s been a little bit worse than I thought…. But we won’t go down.

Will we need to win football matches to get in the top 7 or will it be the same script as staying up? 

2 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

Will we need to win football matches to get in the top 7 or will it be the same script as staying up? 

Well, clearly the script is going to change next season isn't it. With (presumably) more support and better players signed over the summer, rattling around the bottom 4 at Xmas is not going to be palatable to the owners either.....

1 hour ago, Steve_R said:

I’ve not listened to this yet, but gallows humour is all that’s got me and plenty of others through these last few years. There’s a world of difference between that and hurling abuse at players.

Absolutely.

I wish we could be better at the gallows humour, though.  "How shit must you be.." isn't funny and was kicking Dorking when they were down (more than poking fun at ourselves), which is a bit disrespectful given the welcome we were given...

1 minute ago, BPAS said:

Well, clearly the script is going to change next season isn't it. With (presumably) more support and better players signed over the summer, rattling around the bottom 4 at Xmas is not going to be palatable to the owners either.....

More support? 

16 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

More support? 

...by that I meant from the analysts, scouting dept, B-team and Academy pathway & the boardroom in signing and paying for better players..... let alone infrastructure improvements such as a new pitch being laid (maybe), or improvements to the training facilities....

4 minutes ago, BPAS said:

...by that I meant from the analysts, scouting dept, B-team and Academy pathway & the boardroom in signing and paying for better players.....

😂

If, by any chance, not all of that happens/helps can we just have the last bit? 

And lets get a manager first otherwise it could all be a terrible waste. 

10 minutes ago, BPAS said:

...by that I meant from the analysts, scouting dept, B-team and Academy pathway & the boardroom in signing and paying for better players..... let alone infrastructure improvements such as a new pitch being laid (maybe), or improvements to the training facilities....

You forgot the floodlights.

33 minutes ago, BPAS said:

This B team. How many games have they actually played since they started up...?

1 minute ago, Lee Sinnott said:

And why do we need a scouting dept when MegaMind can remember the likes of Joe Nuttall from random kickabouts at Finch Farm all those years ago? 

I don't really understand deriding the infrastructure stuff that's being put in place. Unless it's a joke I'm missing!

I'm pretty sure the board won't have had a meeting and said "right lads, we can either put in place a comprehensive infrastructure to help with coaching, recruitment, player retention and wellbeing. Or we can just win some football matches. What's it to be?"

30 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

It does help to be able to see past the end of your nose Paddy..... they're trying to join a league next season aren't they.....?

30 minutes ago, BPAS said:

It does help to be able to see past the end of your nose Paddy..... they're trying to join a league next season aren't they.....?

I've suggested the Central League North West as well as the Lancashire and Manchester Senior cups but not heard what the plans are yet.

1 hour ago, nzlatic said:

I don't really understand deriding the infrastructure stuff that's being put in place. Unless it's a joke I'm missing!

Because it's all basic, bog standard stuff that should be a given being passed off as being somehow amazing by those whose boats are floated by such things.

But then they can never quite explain to you, or show you, what any of it actually means/what it is. 😃

And it's all very buzzwordy.

"Why do we keep losing Rhino?"

"Because I've been very busy putting an...errrmmm......Academy Pathway together......We need to get things right behind the scenes before my extensive, expensive coaching team & I can get these 37 signings to win some football matches" 

6 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

Because it's all basic, bog standard stuff that should be a given being passed off as being somehow amazing by those whose boats are floated by such things.

But then they can never quite explain to you, or show you, what any of it actually means/what it is. 😃

And it's all very buzzwordy.

"Why do we keep losing Rhino?"

"Because I've been very busy putting an...errrmmm......Academy Pathway together......We need to get things right behind the scenes before my extensive, expensive coaching team & I can get these 37 signings to win some football matches" 

Is it basic bog standard stuff though? I mean, yeah the paying people on time and not being total twats to players and fans is the basic stuff. But they've explained they're doing more than that - setting up b teams, recruitment structures, in depth analysis and performance monitoring all seem to be things they're looking to do better than others at our level. Then the more long term stuff of creating a sports hub for the town and aiming for self sufficiency further down the line. That's not bog standard.  The more success we make of that sort of stuff, the better our chances of being succesful on the pitch too.  One doesn't need the other of course, but it would certainly make on pitch success more likely over time.

I get it though that there are those that would rather they just spent their money on better managers and players and sack off all that behind the scenes stuff.

1 hour ago, nzlatic said:

I'm pretty sure the board won't have had a meeting and said "right lads, we can either put in place a comprehensive infrastructure to help with coaching, recruitment, player retention and wellbeing. Or we can just win some football matches. What's it to be?"

I don't think anyone's deriding the infrastructure stuff that's being put in place.

I'm not convinced it's implementation an adequate excuse for poor first-team performances, though.

Unsworth's been allowed to bring in a load of players (including a striker for six figures), but we've largely been rubbish.  Not owning the stadium yet, sorting out the youth system or having rats in the office aren't really relevant to the performance of the first-team, surely?

Just now, JoeP said:

I don't think anyone's deriding the infrastructure stuff that's being put in place.

I'm not convinced it's implementation an adequate excuse for poor first-team performances, though.

Unsworth's been allowed to bring in a load of players (including a striker for six figures), but we've largely been rubbish.  Not owning the stadium yet, sorting out the youth system or having rats in the office aren't really relevant to the performance of the first-team, surely?

I don't think it's an excuse for poor form, no.  My guess is that Unsworth has been surprised by how hard it has been to get results and may have been using the past to cover for that a little bit. I think a more experienced manager would have got more points during the transition from the summer squad to the one we have now but I hope the board have seen something in Unsworth that will mean it'll come good over the next couple of seasons.  And if they're wrong and Unsworth isn't the right man, then hopefully the investment in getting the support structure right will pay off for the next one. I guess that's the point of it.

• Matt featured this topic

Should Unsy have a say in the infrastructure where appropriate? 

Yes. 

Is it what he’s ultimately employed for? No. 

As NZ said- when managers are struggling they tend to go to what they’re ‘building’ or ‘ lots of work in the background the fans don’t see’ 

When you win, it’s the icing on the cake that he’s ‘building’ something. 

When you lose- no one gives a fuck. 

Which gives a big hint to what actually matters. 

Our fans have been on the owner and the manager's back for weeks now, because of the League position. The fact that we operate on a budget of around one fifth of that of many of our Divisional rivals seems to count for very little with many. On Saturday, we had an airing of "how shit must you be, we're winning at home".

Football fans the length and breadth of the country are fickle, opinionated and have a massive sense of entitlement. We all know that for many people it is a form of escapism, and we are expected to forgive a lot of shit behaviour arising out that. But for players and staff, a football ground is a place of work, and if they don't want to indulge some of our worst instincts, I for one don't blame them.

2 hours ago, nzlatic said:

... but I hope the board have seen something in Unsworth that will mean it'll come good over the next couple of seasons.  

It's pretty obvious that nobody has seen anything. The appointment was based on a longstanding "Everton" friendship allied to the fact that, with his coaching knowledge and experience, he must be capable of managing a non-league club.

Conversely, it's also pretty obvious that Everton and Preston saw something to convince them that he was not suitable as a first team manager at their respective levels.

4 hours ago, basilrobbie said:

Our fans have been on the owner and the manager's back for weeks now, because of the League position. The fact that we operate on a budget of around one fifth of that of many of our Divisional rivals seems to count for very little with many. On Saturday, we had an airing of "how shit must you be, we're winning at home".

Football fans the length and breadth of the country are fickle, opinionated and have a massive sense of entitlement. We all know that for many people it is a form of escapism, and we are expected to forgive a lot of shit behaviour arising out that. But for players and staff, a football ground is a place of work, and if they don't want to indulge some of our worst instincts, I for one don't blame them.

Good post Baz. 

Yeah, if you are of a mind to boo and chant negative stuff the one thing you can’t say is- come and clap us for booing you. 

I think most fair minded folk, clap the wins with the players. And trudge off in a sulk with the losses, not wanting/expecting to interact with players.

7 hours ago, League one forever said:

I think most fair minded folk, clap the wins with the players. And trudge off in a sulk with the losses, not wanting/expecting to interact with players.

If we lose but have put in the effort, then I would still stay to applaud.

If we lose and have played poorly then I just want to get out of the ground as quickly as possible.

It’s fair to say though, that a win, however it comes, is still to be celebrated 😃

10 hours ago, wiseowl said:

It's pretty obvious that nobody has seen anything. The appointment was based on a longstanding "Everton" friendship allied to the fact that, with his coaching knowledge and experience, he must be capable of managing a non-league club.

Conversely, it's also pretty obvious that Everton and Preston saw something to convince them that he was not suitable as a first team manager at their respective levels.

I think most of that is guesswork, assumption or what you've pieced together from bits online to back up your position.  It could be pointed out that Unsworth won 2 premier league youth titles.

You're also seemingly discounting the possibility that the board might have identified the right sort of core skills in him and decided that with on the job learning, guidance and support from the board and given sufficient time, he might improve and deliver results.  

Archived