BPAS PODCAST: 9th Jan '23, S3:E21: Wondop's on Fire

The first time we've scored five away from home since 2003 and the last time we won by 4 goals or more away from home since 1988 & Wondop's (courtesy of Gary Pascoe) hattrick, only the 3rd since 2010. Is this the turning point? How should we be reacting on the terrace? We discuss it all.

To support the pod by paying a monthly subscription of just £2.99 via this link https://anchor.fm/bp-alert/subscribe. All the regular episodes will remain free to everyone but only subscribers can access an audio only version of the Latics Football Phone In as a podcast from Friday  morning at 7am. If you'd like to make a one off donation, you can now also Buy Us A Coffee by clicking here 

You can also support us by visiting https://www.oafcpodcast.co.uk, subscribing to our mailing list and purchasing from our online shop. Follow the show on Twitter, Instagram & Facebook @oafcpodcast. Please subscribe to our YouTube channel here Download and listen to the podcast via the FanHub app, where content creators and fans alike are rewarded for getting involved #ctg. Title music is by Manchester DJ and producer Starion find out more at www.redlaserrecords.bandcamp.com

• BPAS changed the title to BPAS PODCAST: 9th Jan '23, S3:E21: Wondop's on Fire
  • Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unsworth acknowledging the fans isn’t to do with the him “not waving at us”.

It’s about acknowledging the time, effort and money (in a cost of living crisis!) that the fans have made to support the team. I can’t think of any Latics managers gone by that haven’t done or understood that.

You especially should do that if your team have been abysmal, like they were at Notts County. You take your portion of the blame, like the players do. Yeah, you might get abused but you set your standards high in the way you treat people and let them do theirs.

It doesn’t matter to some people? Fine, but there was an appeal for unity from all factions not so long ago, so make the supporters feel involved.

Would it matter if the results were better? It’d still be poor form, but probably not. Unfortunately though the results haven’t been that good!

I was being a tad facetious when I called it "waving" at us, for which I'll apologise, however I stand by my view that he doesn't have to. People were only complaining about it because they wanted to shout abuse at him. Since when has it been acceptable to shout abuse at someone because they've had a bad day at the office? I don't blame him for not wanting to suffer it. It's entitled nonsense. I do blame him for the inept performance at Notts in the same way I credit him for setting the team up to win handsomely at the weekend. He needs to learn from his mistakes and now go on a run where we compete and win more than we lose between now & May. That's the best way to make us all feel involved.

Yeah, I'm not fussed whether he claps fans or not.  And let's face it, if he went over to the fans at Notts County, he'd have been met with angry abuse and chants of "David Unsworth, your football is shit." I don't blame him for heading straight down and tunnel. All I want him to do is win football matches...

8 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

"David Unsworth, your football is shit."

....this was being sung again on Saturday at 0-1, along with the aforementioned "How shit must you be, we're winning away", from 2-1 to 5-1. We need to stop it now (the time for gallows humour has passed - we've got what we wanted, which is a well run club - our fortunes on the pitch will change soon), it doesn't help anybody...... the owners, the board, the staff, the players, or us.

14 minutes ago, BPAS said:

....this was being sung again on Saturday at 0-1, along with the aforementioned "How shit must you be, we're winning away", from 2-1 to 5-1. We need to stop it now (the time for gallows humour has passed - we've got what we wanted, which is a well run club), it doesn't help anybody...... the owners, the board, the staff, the players, or us.

Tbf it was a small number of fans singing the “David Unsworth your football is shit” which then was quickly amended to “…your football is good” 👍

11 minutes ago, BPAS said:

....this was being sung again on Saturday at 0-1, along with the aforementioned "How shit must you be, we're winning away", from 2-1 to 5-1. We need to stop it, it doesn't help anybody...... the staff, the players, or us.

Matt said, we aren’t telling people what to say, we’re asking them to think about it. That’s fine, because that’s balanced debate. (And I happen to agree that it can’t help the players) 

But when it strays into - ‘people need to grow up and stop it’ then you are telling people what they should and shouldn’t say. As long as it’s not personal or overly abusive (which that song isn’t)  then I’d defend the right of anyone to sing what they want. Nobody is judge and jury over how people want to express themselves. 

40 minutes ago, BPAS said:

....this was being sung again on Saturday at 0-1, along with the aforementioned "How shit must you be, we're winning away", from 2-1 to 5-1. We need to stop it now (the time for gallows humour has passed - we've got what we wanted, which is a well run club - our fortunes on the pitch will change soon), it doesn't help anybody...... the owners, the board, the staff, the players, or us.

I’ve not listened to this yet, but gallows humour is all that’s got me and plenty of others through these last few years. There’s a world of difference between that and hurling abuse at players.I’m delighted that Frank has taken over and know it’ll take time to get everything right, but I want a lot more than just a well run club. I want to see a winning team because that what I rock up on Saturdays and pay my money for.

The positive songs were sarcastic though I thought.  "David Unsworth football genius" for example once we were leading.

I agree with Andy that i don't think it's helpful and also that it's not necessary now. The club is on an upward trend, albeit the results on the pitch aren't reflecting this yet but for me it's only a matter of time, so we need to ditch the sarcasm and sing more positively - like what happened at the end of last season when the results were just as bad.  If we don't want to sing specifically about the manager or players, sing about the club or Frank or something.

1 hour ago, BPAS said:

we've got what we wanted, which is a well run club 

I want a winning team that I enjoy going to watch.

The club now adhering to business & employment laws should be  givens rather than nice to haves (despite what went before).

"Well run" would involve stuff over & above that.

Which would be great but "competently & honestly run" will do me just fine if not. 

I don’t verbally slate the managers or players. I do voice my opinion on this forum. 

I get us as fans shouldn't sing these chants, that are self-mocking or degrading of the players and club. At the same time, we haven't finished in the top half for god knows how many years. Yes we have been lucky enough to have a change of ownership which should take us forward but results have been crap and we are in a relegation scrap in the national league. Potentially facing a third relegation in five years. 

Just like you guys asked for the fans to give the management and players time. The management and players have to give the fans time, and show that results and the direction of the club is changing. A win, albeit convincing, against Dorking is not going to repair and change the mindset of ALL fans after that long period of time.

I get what you are saying, it’s the correct thing to do. However not all fans have the same mindset and to collectively change will take time, and to be honest, some actual success. 

1 hour ago, League one forever said:

But when it strays into - ‘people need to grow up and stop it’ then you are telling people what they should and shouldn’t say. As long as it’s not personal or overly abusive.....

That related specifically to what I considered to be the faux rage over Unsworth not acknowledging fans at Notts County, when what people really wanted was to hurl personal abuse at him, and they were upset that they couldn't.

20 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

I want a winning team that I enjoy going to watch.

.....we all do, but it's not something that should be expected, only 6 months after we've been taken over..... and after 10+ years of underinvestment..... it's gonna take a bit of time.....

4 minutes ago, BPAS said:

.....we all do, but it's not something that should be expected, only 6 months after we've been taken over..... and after 10+ years of underinvestment..... it's gonna take a bit of time.....

It shouldn't take a bit of time to win games in the Vauxhall Conference with the money thrown at the squad recently...

5 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

It shouldn't take a bit of time to win games in the Vauxhall Conference with the money thrown at the squad recently...

….I predicted (as you well know) this season would be bobbins and next season would see us compete for the top 7. It’s working out as I expected so far…..

edit, ok, it’s been a little bit worse than I thought…. But we won’t go down.

6 minutes ago, BPAS said:

That related specifically to what I considered to be the faux rage over Unsworth not acknowledging fans at Notts County, when what people really wanted was to hurl personal abuse at him, and they were upset that they couldn't.

Ah, apologies. 

I still thought your view towards what the fans were singing was quite vociferous. Without really bearing in mind what some fans go to games for, piss up/sing song/a release from the daily grind. I do not condone or advocate anything personal, and in the cold the light of day- you’re right it doesn’t help. But crowds don’t work in a sober objective way. 

In effect what you’re asking is, please sing positive songs only, because what you sing can have a negative impact, and we need the players to know they have have full support. It’s very laudable, but completely unrealistic at the moment. Fans want to take the piss, they want gallows humour. Especially when it’s all they have after years of decline. I know that’s what you’re trying to change, but it will only come when results change over a sustained period. And the default isn’t- ‘here go again, might as well take the piss’ or be so surprised we’re two up away from home- that the piss taking continues. 

The results have to come before crowd expectations- they just mirror what is served on the pitch. When going in front is something we expect, the chanting/singing will change. 

15 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Ah, apologies. 

I still thought your view towards what the fans were singing was quite vociferous. Without really bearing in mind what some fans go to games for, piss up/sing song/a release from the daily grind. I do not condone or advocate anything personal, and in the cold the light of day- you’re right it doesn’t help. But crowds don’t work in a sober objective way. 

In effect what you’re asking is, please sing positive songs only, because what you sing can have a negative impact, and we need the players to know they have have full support. It’s very laudable, but completely unrealistic at the moment. Fans want to take the piss, they want gallows humour. Especially when it’s all they have after years of decline. I know that’s what you’re trying to change, but it will only come when results change over a sustained period. And the default isn’t- ‘here go again, might as well take the piss’ or be so surprised we’re two up away from home- that the piss taking continues. 

The results have to come before crowd expectations- they just mirror what is served on the pitch. When going in front is something we expect, the chanting/singing will change. 

Spot on. 

2 hours ago, BPAS said:

I was being a tad facetious when I called it "waving" at us, for which I'll apologise, however I stand by my view that he doesn't have to. People were only complaining about it because they wanted to shout abuse at him. Since when has it been acceptable to shout abuse at someone because they've had a bad day at the office? I don't blame him for not wanting to suffer it. It's entitled nonsense. I do blame him for the inept performance at Notts in the same way I credit him for setting the team up to win handsomely at the weekend. He needs to learn from his mistakes and now go on a run where we compete and win more than we lose between now & May. That's the best way to make us all feel involved.

He doesn't have to but then by the same token the fans don't have to turn up either.

It isn't acceptable to hurl "abuse" at him, but I guess but he must be a sensitive soul if he can't rise above it and show his appreciation for the effort made by the fans.  As I say, every other manager we've had seems to get it.  Do the players not need to do applaud either when there's potentially abuse coming their way, then? (Someone has said previously it's more expected of the players - I don't agree.  The manager is the leader and should be first over...see the video of our new friend Marc White leading his players over after they've been thumped).

Excited to read as many posts as possible saying "it doesn't matter".  I do empathise with those that think it does, though...

48 minutes ago, BPAS said:

What's all that got to do with what I said?

Anyway, don't be so negative. Dare to dream!  

19 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Ah, apologies. 

Yep, that's very fairly and objectively argued and I can't really take issue with it. All I'm saying is, if we want what we want..... and can all agree that the foundations are being laid for that.... shall we try to bite our lip before turning nasty and try to encourage those doing their best by us to achieve their aims/our wishes, without making it harder than it already is? Another way of framing the same argument is, I don't want to discourage or dishearten Frank & Darren Royle by lambasting them (indirectly) on their 1st medium/long term appointment. That's the sort of thinking we've been crying out for.....

Archived