What is your most unpopular Latics opinion or belief?

13 hours ago, Magic Mikey said:

Or in an advert for Tudor crisps. I don't know if it was because I was younger, but footballers then looked older than those today. Bobby Charlton looked forty in his twenties. 

I think Bobby Charlton looked forty the day he was born, along with his brother Jack.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Another one I have is that Gary Kelly was crap...

I wouldn’t say crap- but I think his Disco pants elevated him to cult status, and masked his actual ability. 

He made some good saves (that you wouldn’t expect) but also had plenty of mistakes in him- particularly his positioning. 

23 hours ago, HarryBosch said:

When not engaged in Poundshop Machievellianism Barry Owen was probably a competent football administrator. 🙄

When Harold Shipman wasn’t murdering, he was a good GP.

• Like 1

On 4/12/2023 at 10:32 AM, Diego_Sideburns said:

The myth that JW Lees Brewery saved the Club from extinction.

Steve Ragg blew the myth wide open in WSC back in 1998:

https://www.wsc.co.uk/book-reviews/brewers-droop/

I'm still boycotting the Brewery's pubs and I cringe at the OASF's new range of shirts. I have the classic 1985-87 shirt, but without the barrel and the Lees name.

Great post that 👍

I'd add as a proud Middletonian that their beer was as crap as their ownership of the club. It may have improved in the years since I moved away but back in the 70s it was as weak as it was tasteless.

• Like 1

Just now, OAFCLongsuffeting said:

Didn’t we have to do that as a result of the Taylor report? 

yeah. we went mega early with it tho (think of The Kop). it used to further annoy me when you would get clubs like fulham still playing in the prem a decade later with massive actual terraces. rules eh!

the chaddy end rebuild distant future plan idea pipe dream needs vocally boxing off as a rail seat plan. that would be an exciting little seed.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

There are still FL clubs who don't have an all seater stadium...

2 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

yeah. we went mega early with it tho (think of The Kop). it used to further annoy me when you would get clubs like fulham still playing in the prem a decade later with massive actual terraces. rules eh!

the chaddy end rebuild distant future plan idea pipe dream needs vocally boxing off as a rail seat plan. that would be an exciting little seed.

wasn’t aware of any of that, thought it was mandatory in 94 

edit: I know some have standing now but assumed that was after it was realised that the standing excuse for Hillsbrough was bollocks 

Edited by OAFCLongsuffeting

33 minutes ago, OAFCLongsuffeting said:

edit: I know some have standing now but assumed that was after it was realised that the standing excuse for Hillsbrough was bollocks 

our chairman at the time was literally the FA Man so maybe thats why he went big and early on it.

in my mind Boundary Park at the time was about 20% seated so it must have all been rather expensive.

if you could magically transport modern hilsboro onto history but do every thing else the same then more would have died. thats not to say that Football stadiums were not crumbling death traps, because they were. but imagine trying to overcram thousands of people into a seated area all at once by opening the gates and truncheoning people thru? jeez.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

our chairman at the time was literally the FA Man so maybe thats why he went big and early on it.

in my mind Boundary Park at the time was about 20% seated so it must have all been rather expensive.

if you could magically transport modern hilsboro onto history but do every thing else the same then more would have died. thats not to say that Football stadiums were not crumbling death traps, because they were. but imagine trying to overcram thousands of people into a seated area all at once by opening the gates and truncheoning people thru? jeez.

oh I agree seating was never the issue, allowing thousands to go through a tunnel into a full terrace was 

1 hour ago, OAFCLongsuffeting said:

It was mandatory at the level we were at 

17 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

It was mandatory at the level we were at 

and the level below. within a certain deadline we beat by about two years.

the rush/botch summer job on the chaddy was almost pointless and l say almost just to be charitable. we would have stayed up with the Chaddy End*