What is your most unpopular Latics opinion or belief?

7 hours ago, O.A.F.C. said:

The seats in the Lookers paddock was in the same. From memory the first few rows were still missing from the Charlton game.

Thinking back to that season, after our good start I blame Paul Gerrard getting sent off at Southend as the turning point.

its actually my fault we were mega until l joined l was brought up as united fan. 

its actually @latics22 fault he forced me to games and took the piss if l went to Old Trafford on my own.

sorry everybody.

l switched sides almost immedietly after Mark Hughes goal so theres correlation for you 🤮

2 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

we were all seater well before we needed to be and we should have spent some of it on players. it shouldnt even be an unpopular view but it obviously is.

the most annoying thig about all that was the small clubs who had no money for redevelopment got small grants for the work whilst the big clubs who had been rolling in it for years got massive grants for theirs of the FA govt 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, OAFCLongsuffeting said:

you mean, like we have a board of directors who “do things proper” rather than a tyrant and his brother with DCI Baldrick in the background??

will never catch on 

Quite. 

10 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

I loved the 2020/21 season when we could just watch the streams from the comfort of our own homes, with either a beer or a brew. And evening games were 7pm kick offs, which are much better than the 7.45 KO...

Agree, I love night games but living an hour away and having to be up at 5 for work 7:45 is a killer.  Was great watching in bed with a brew 

1 hour ago, Lee Sinnott said:

I loved the 2020/21 season when we could just watch the streams from the comfort of our own homes, with either a beer or a brew. And evening games were 7pm kick offs, which are much better than the 7.45 KO...

You know time's passing quickly when people are getting nostalgic about a pandemic 

15 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

You know time's passing quickly when people are getting nostalgic about a pandemic 

nevermind nostalgia l loved it at the actual time. Humans got the chance to be Humans for about a year doin proper mad stuff like having time for family and growing/making our own food, it was brilliant. 😞.

44 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

nevermind nostalgia l loved it at the actual time. Humans got the chance to be Humans for about a year doin proper mad stuff like having time for family and growing/making our own food, it was brilliant. 😞.

I was out of work, living in a flat on my own and didn't see my partner, working as a nurse, for three months. Pass.

IIRC when all-seater stadiums were made mandatory in the top 2 divisions a number of clubs applied for and were successful in getting an exemption for a season or more.

City got one for a bit on the proviso that the Kippax (possibly the largest terrace in England at the time) was getting turned all-seater, but it wasn't a quick job.

I don't think we applied or if we did we didn't put much effort in.

But quite a number of clubs did get the exemption, probably all those mentioned.

Any club in division 2 (now League 1), or below, at the time didn't need to change. If the club got promoted to the now Championship they had 3 years maximum to become all seater. I think some clubs were able to get extensions for new stadia and the like.

A number of top level clubs probably got paid for the work as part of the Euro 96 bid - all seater stadia was a requirement.

9 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

You can do the same now if you really want to.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JoeP said:

If Manchester had got the 2000 Olympics, wasn't Boundary Park going to host some of the events (hockey, possibly?) and in line for a massive renovation?

Yes, but there was no way any UK city other than London was going to get the Olympics.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

Yes, but there was no way any UK city other than London was going to get the Olympics.

Well it got down to either Manchester or Sydney, if I remember rightly so it couldn't have been that far off.

Manchester also got the Commonwealth games a few years later...

16 hours ago, rudemedic said:

IIRC when all-seater stadiums were made mandatory in the top 2 divisions a number of clubs applied for and were successful in getting an exemption for a season or more.

City got one for a bit on the proviso that the Kippax (possibly the largest terrace in England at the time) was getting turned all-seater, but it wasn't a quick job.

I don't think we applied or if we did we didn't put much effort in.

But quite a number of clubs did get the exemption, probably all those mentioned.

Any club in division 2 (now League 1), or below, at the time didn't need to change. If the club got promoted to the now Championship they had 3 years maximum to become all seater. I think some clubs were able to get extensions for new stadia and the like.

A number of top level clubs probably got paid for the work as part of the Euro 96 bid - all seater stadia was a requirement.

We might host an England C game?