What is your most unpopular Latics opinion or belief?

6 hours ago, O.A.F.C. said:

Not pathetic but end of the day we luckily won the league. We never dominated that season as Burnley have this season for example.  

Must of been tough for them competing with Luton with the 100 million in parachute payments 👏👏👏

• Like 3

On 4/9/2023 at 4:51 PM, oafcmetty said:

Ernie Cooksey was a pretty crap footballer

He was. But he was a grafter and taken too early. That was always the concensus really.

Always thought Dux was overrated and remembered more fondly as the years passed. He was a battler in a shit team.

4 hours ago, andy_b_100 said:

Sports park 2000 would have seen us in non league waaay before we were and I quite fancied the Failsworth site ( I will get my coat) 

1000% not. A brand new stadium was essential to clubs in the early 00's and there are very few (Rushden & Diamonds, Darlington about the only two) who haven't flourished with the investment in a brand new stadium.

Sports Park 2000 not going through, along with the housing crash in 2006 preventing the stadium redev were such big sliding doors moments for the club. Both would've certainly made the club a really good investment opportunity. You can argue that an Abdallah may still have approached but he was only accepted because we were teetering on the abyss after Corney's sticking plaster running of the club for so long.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

1000% not. A brand new stadium was essential to clubs in the early 00's and there are very few (Rushden & Diamonds, Darlington about the only two) who haven't flourished with the investment in a brand new stadium.

Sports Park 2000 not going through, along with the housing crash in 2006 preventing the stadium redev were such big sliding doors moments for the club. Both would've certainly made the club a really good investment opportunity. You can argue that an Abdallah may still have approached but he was only accepted because we were teetering on the abyss after Corney's sticking plaster running of the club for so long.

We've had a lot of those - The outbreak of The Great War probably being the biggest

• Like 1

4 hours ago, redlion said:

Jim Beardall was the finest striker we ever had. Pacy, agile, good in the air and should have played for England.

His replacement was even better!

Odd though, he had scored 10 goals in 20 games by the time we ditched him to Great Harwood. These days would have probably sold him in January to a Championship side with sell on clauses!

Edited by Dickie Down
Repetition of earlier material
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

The irony of missing out on the fernyfield site off broadway as the locals protested about noise and disturbance huge warehouse on the site now and another being built along with two schools chaos from 2.30 onwards on local roads 

• Like 1

On 4/10/2023 at 9:42 PM, Lags said:

Graham Bell was better than name sake Colin Bell. Of course he wasn't but as a kid I thought it.

I remember painting the hair of one of the player's in my Latics Subbuteo team for realism and having a worn down haired one in my Striker game that I referred to as Ralph Coates 😄

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

I remember painting the hair of one of the player's in my Latics Subbuteo team for realism and having a worn down haired one in my Striker game that I referred to as Ralph Coates 😄

I always thought Ralph Coates would have looked more at home sat in a BBC sit-com with a pint in hand and a bag of crisps.

11 minutes ago, redlion said:

I always thought Ralph Coates would have looked more at home sat in a BBC sit-com with a pint in hand and a bag of crisps.

Or in an advert for Tudor crisps. I don't know if it was because I was younger, but footballers then looked older than those today. Bobby Charlton looked forty in his twenties. 

The myth that JW Lees Brewery saved the Club from extinction.

Steve Ragg blew the myth wide open in WSC back in 1998:

https://www.wsc.co.uk/book-reviews/brewers-droop/

I'm still boycotting the Brewery's pubs and I cringe at the OASF's new range of shirts. I have the classic 1985-87 shirt, but without the barrel and the Lees name.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Diego_Sideburns said:

The myth that JW Lees Brewery saved the Club from extinction.

Steve Ragg blew the myth wide open in WSC back in 1998:

https://www.wsc.co.uk/book-reviews/brewers-droop/

I'm still boycotting the Brewery's pubs and I cringe at the OASF's new range of shirts. I have the classic 1985-87 shirt, but without the barrel and the Lees name.

You're not gonna be happy when they become involved with the club over the next year or two then...