What is your most unpopular Latics opinion or belief?

On 4/16/2023 at 6:15 AM, Dave_Og said:

Yes, but there was no way any UK city other than London was going to get the Olympics.

On 4/16/2023 at 9:38 AM, JoeP said:

Well it got down to either Manchester or Sydney, if I remember rightly so it couldn't have been that far off.

Manchester also got the Commonwealth games a few years later...

On 4/16/2023 at 2:29 PM, Dave_Og said:

Never a hope in hell

Agree with Dave - Commonwealth Games is Mickey Mouse stuff compared to Olympics. I volunteered at the games and the number of people (not native to Manchester) who were shuttled in and out to the stadium who expressed the view "what a shithole Manchester is" was startling. It also doesn't have the infrastructure to host an Olympics. Places like Prague and Amsterdam have cheap, efficient public transport 24 hours a day, which isn't full of fare cheating druggies etc. who make everyone's life a misery. In Manchester you'll have to fork out circa £40, for example, to travel to Oldham once the trams/buses stop. Despite all the hype, Manchester is a small city of just over half a million - it will never host an Olympics.

On 4/15/2023 at 3:52 PM, Dave_Og said:

I was out of work, living in a flat on my own and didn't see my partner, working as a nurse, for three months. Pass.

plus you exude the emotion waves of a massive capitalist so have inbuilt hatred of the peasants' free labour going to waste 🤣

6 minutes ago, wiseowl said:

Agree with Dave - Commonwealth Games is Mickey Mouse stuff compared to Olympics. I volunteered at the games and the number of people (not native to Manchester) who were shuttled in and out to the stadium who expressed the view "what a shithole Manchester is" was startling. It also doesn't have the infrastructure to host an Olympics. Places like Prague and Amsterdam have cheap, efficient public transport 24 hours a day, which isn't full of fare cheating druggies etc. who make everyone's life a misery. In Manchester you'll have to fork out circa £40, for example, to travel to Oldham once the trams/buses stop. Despite all the hype, Manchester is a small city of just over half a million - it will never host an Olympics.

always makes me laugh that Manchester uses Picadilly as a massive transport hub and then gets suprised at its firmly earned Shithole reputation!!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

🤣🤣🤣

l imagine you like a fat cat with a river at the bottom of his garden burning £50 notes lighting a cigar whilst forcing big muscly horses to have intercourse with each other!!!

FFS Monty….where do you get all this shite from?😳

• Like 1

Just now, oafc1955 said:

FFS Monty….where do you get all this shite from?😳

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

same place that tells me when people set up new accounts or get their info from club directors.

(lve got Aspergers so everything gets over analized times ten, its useful for gambling and avoiding market crashes. but an absolute curse in normal human behaviour such as interactions with fellow Human Beings. three seperate skull fractures won't help either!!)

11 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

🤣🤣🤣

l imagine you like a fat cat with a river at the bottom of his garden burning £50 notes lighting a cigar whilst forcing big muscly horses to have intercourse with each other!!!

Well yu have a vivid imagination - although there is a river at the bottom of the (not very big) garden.  

1 minute ago, Monty Burns said:

no danger it makes it harder for the serfs to pontoon across into your land and poach the pheasant!

I'm not the pheasant plucker, I'm the pheasant plucker's son and I'm only plucking pheasants till the pheasant plucker comes

9 hours ago, wiseowl said:

Sydney isn't the bustling metropolis many would expect...

1 hour ago, whittles left foot said:

Also now Australia's second city. Melbourne is bigger now.

Indeed, thanks to a re-drawing of Melbourne's city boundary.

The mistake a lot of people make over here is in saying Manchester has a population of over 2 million etc. Utter nonsense as that includes all the satellite towns such as Oldham, Bolton, Wigan etc. Nothing to do with bloody Manchester.

When comparing the ACTUAL cities themselves, according to the 2022 census, Manchester is only the 6th largest in the UK and much smaller than Birmingham, for example. In fact, it lags behind Leeds and Sheffield too. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, wiseowl said:

Indeed, thanks to a re-drawing of Melbourne's city boundary.

The mistake a lot of people make over here is in saying Manchester has a population of over 2 million etc. Utter nonsense as that includes all the satellite towns such as Oldham, Bolton, Wigan etc. Nothing to do with bloody Manchester.

When comparing the ACTUAL cities themselves, according to the 2022 census, Manchester is only the 6th largest in the UK and much smaller than Birmingham, for example. In fact, it lags behind Leeds and Sheffield too. 

Surprised Sydney has a population of 5.2 million (according to Wiki).

When I went there in 2009, I was surprised at how small it was and it didn't seem particularly crowded, etc.

49 minutes ago, JoeP said:

When I went there in 2009, I was surprised at how small it was and it didn't seem particularly crowded, etc.

if anywhere in australia ever seems crowded then their urban planners are doing something seriously wrong!!!

3 hours ago, JoeP said:

Again, it's confusion quoting either a) the actual population of the city boundary or b) the "Greater" metropolitan area. The City of Sydney's population is about the same as Oldham's (Sydney 220,000 at the last count). The Metropolitan area of Sydney accounts for the 5 million plus.

26 minutes ago, wiseowl said:

Again, it's confusion quoting either a) the actual population of the city boundary or b) the "Greater" metropolitan area. The City of Sydney's population is about the same as Oldham's (Sydney 220,000 at the last count). The Metropolitan area of Sydney accounts for the 5 million plus.

The City of London's population is less  than 9,000...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

ld imagine the Manchester population in the 90's must have been tiny. Manchester asin the city centre, not including rough sleepers, as there was literally nowhere to live. well, the spaces were there but they were abandoned/derelict etc

Agree - the city centre itself never really took off as a residential district until the arrival of "the pink pound" - then, many cotton warehouses started to be turned into apartments etc. The "City of Manchester" area, however, covers from Higher Blackley in the north to Woodhouse Park in the south and then incorporates such places as Longsight, Chorlton, Levenshulme, Ardwick etc. -  i.e. suburbs where the majority of its half million or so live.

Also, let's not forget, the place was named after a pair of breasts for good reason lol !

Edited by wiseowl
clarification

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/18/2023 at 7:36 PM, Monty Burns said:

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

same place that tells me when people set up new accounts or get their info from club directors.

(lve got Aspergers so everything gets over analized times ten, its useful for gambling and avoiding market crashes. but an absolute curse in normal human behaviour such as interactions with fellow Human Beings. three seperate skull fractures won't help either!!)

You have three seperate skulls?

That is so cool.

That's the quiz team sorted.