What is your most unpopular Latics opinion or belief?

On 4/19/2023 at 6:31 PM, JoeP said:

Surprised Sydney has a population of 5.2 million (according to Wiki).

When I went there in 2009, I was surprised at how small it was and it didn't seem particularly crowded, etc.

That is because the majority of Sydney's population is made up of Tasmanian migrants where each person fills out two census forms.

5 hours ago, L1onheartNew said:

You have three seperate skulls?

That is so cool.

That's the quiz team sorted.

Affirmative. my denomination is Kryten and my designation is service robot on the mining ship Red Dwarf.

l used to be mega at quizes before the fractures and stimulant related abuses the brain has taken. l still would be if l could have an hour or so per question (not every question more of a just in case scenario).

• 9 months later...

The amount of money we're spending doesn't seem very astute, especially considering what we're seeing on the pitch.

While I think all intentions are good, there's as itch - just an itch - that the future might not be as rosy as what everyone thinks..

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JoeP said:

The amount of money we're spending doesn't seem very astute, especially considering what we're seeing on the pitch.

While I think all intentions are good, there's as itch - just an itch - that the future might not be as rosy as what everyone thinks..

I’m with you Joe. 

The recruitment is very very odd. Both in the amount of players and the positions. I’m not sure how sustainable it is. . 

The Royles and our two recent full time managers are spending the Rothwell family fortune very, very quickly. It presumably took them decades of hard graft to build it up and these clowns are pissing it away in a matter of months.

Why would you buy a football team eh?

Norwood’s left hamstring was strapped up last night. He had a previous niggle too didn’t he and would have missed the Eastleigh game. I wonder whether the signing of Dallas in particular was because they expected that Norwood would end up missing games. Garner is a replacement for Stones and an upgrade on Fondop. 

Edit - will do the others. Hammond, replacement for Sheron? Walker, adding a bit of width and something different. Sachdev, right back needed. Conlon, creative midfielder. 

It seems to make sense to me. 

Edited by nzlatic
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Norwood’s left hamstring was strapped up last night. He had a previous niggle too didn’t he and would have missed the Eastleigh game. I wonder whether the signing of Dallas in particular was because they expected that Norwood would end up missing games. Garner is a replacement for Stones and an upgrade on Fondop. 

Edit - will do the others. Hammond, replacement for Sheron? Walker, adding a bit of width and something different. Sachdev, right back needed. Conlon, creative midfielder. 

Garner is an upgrade on Fondop if he retains whatever it was that has given him a career at a higher level. But he's 35. Has he still got that? I've no idea.

14 hours ago, JoeP said:

We need promotion as soon as possible, it's as simple as that and to do that we need to outspend the competition. The trend for promoted teams, in the last few seasons at least has been the biggest budget goes up. The prudent, fineley financially managed clubs just don't have what it takes to get above the crop.

I have the same itch, or it's more a question of when do the Rothwells decide enough's enough? They've made available £5m for players and I guess, when that's been exhausted, and if we're still in this position then a change to stratagy may well occur. We need to be mindful of that possibility.

That said, I still hold the believe in that the changes we've seen in new pitch outlay, improvements to facilities and regeneration of a new training facility suggests they're not the type who'll be toys out of the pram as soon as a shit load of money on player signings isn't reaping instant results. Hate the constantly used expression but we do need patience and trust in the process. And I think we've had plenty of warnings from individuals involved in the likes of Luton, Stockport etc. in that it often takes quite a few years of adjusting and rebuilding to bring together that team that is a dominent force.

I also think social media amplifies the shrieking negativity that makes it all seem that it's worse than it is. Can't get away from that but it taints clear thinking when we have a poor result / performance. People questioning someone who's a clear and recent track record in promotion and has actually got us into the promotion frame already FFS.

• Like 8

26 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

We need promotion as soon as possible, it's as simple as that and to do that we need to outspend the competition. The trend for promoted teams, in the last few seasons at least has been the biggest budget goes up. The prudent, fineley financially managed clubs just don't have what it takes to get above the crop.

I have the same itch, or it's more a question of when do the Rothwells decide enough's enough? They've made available £5m for players and I guess, when that's been exhausted, and if we're still in this position then a change to stratagy may well occur. We need to be mindful of that possibility.

That said, I still hold the believe in that the changes we've seen in new pitch outlay, improvements to facilities and regeneration of a new training facility suggests they're not the type who'll be toys out of the pram as soon as a shit load of money on player signings isn't reaping instant results. Hate the constantly used expression but we do need patience and trust in the process. And I think we've had plenty of warnings from individuals involved in the likes of Luton, Stockport etc. in that it often takes quite a few years of adjusting and rebuilding to bring together that team that is a dominent force.

I also think social media amplifies the shrieking negativity that makes it all seem that it's worse than it is. Can't get away from that but it taints clear thinking when we have a poor result / performance. People questioning someone who's a clear and recent track record in promotion and has actually got us into the promotion frame already FFS.

I mean yes, I'm certain nothing is being done with bad intentions and it'll definitely be an "enough is enough" scenario rather than a storm-out.

We do also need to outspend - but need to do it properly.  The Rothwells by their own admission are relatively new to the football game but even they must know by now that chucking a load of money purely at strikers doesn't guarantee goals.  Our recruitment strategy seems illogical and I don't think you need years of experience to realise that. 

I 100% trust the intentions and 99% trust the process - but we shouldn't be blind to the fact that there might be few fairly confusing decisions being made at the moment.

And yes, we should be a long way off questioning Mellon. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nzlatic said:

Garner is a replacement for Stones and an upgrade on Fondop. 

Having listened to my nephew wax lyrical about this Stones and his energy levels, I cannot see how a player who is 36 years old in a few weeks time can ever be a replacement?  I see little sense in signing a 36 year old. Usually injury prone by that age and it's hardly building for the future is it? Fondop from what I`ve seen has been our best showing up front. There has been little up top but he's been the best of a bad bunch from the 2 games I`ve watched. I was really looking forward to seeing Norwood but he's been woeful and now he's injured. Again, what happens when you are in your early 30s. Don't sign players in the twilight of their careers would be my advice.

6 minutes ago, spanishfly said:

Having listened to my nephew wax lyrical about this Stones and his energy levels, I cannot see how a player who is 36 years old in a few weeks time can ever be a replacement?  I see little sense in signing a 36 year old. Usually injury prone by that age and it's hardly building for the future is it? Fondop from what I`ve seen has been our best showing up front. There has been little up top but he's been the best of a bad bunch from the 2 games I`ve watched. I was really looking forward to seeing Norwood but he's been woeful and now he's injured. Again, what happens when you are in your early 30s. Don't sign players in the twilight of their careers would be my advice.

Conlon 27

Dallas 24

Walker 21

Sachdev 18

Hammond 21

Garner 35

We’re signing a mixture. Other than age he’ll be looking at experience, leadership, character etc and judging what of those is lacking in the squad too. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, spanishfly said:

I see little sense in signing a 36 year old. Usually injury prone by that age and it's hardly building for the future is it? 

Chesterfield had four players over 30 and most of the rest of yesterday's starting lineup in the 26-30 bracket. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, JoeP said:

I mean yes, I'm certain nothing is being done with bad intentions and it'll definitely be an "enough is enough" scenario rather than a storm-out.

We do also need to outspend - but need to do it properly.  The Rothwells by their own admission are relatively new to the football game but even they must know by now that chucking a load of money purely at strikers doesn't guarantee goals.  Our recruitment strategy seems illogical and I don't think you need years of experience to realise that. 

I 100% trust the intentions and 99% trust the process - but we shouldn't be blind to the fact that there might be few fairly confusing decisions being made at the moment.

And yes, we should be a long way off questioning Mellon. 

I don't think anyone's blind to the spend Joe. Mistakes were made in the previous appointment and subsequent recruitment from that has set us back. MM has to be backed fully, and given at least one and a half years minimum to hit his KPI which I would expect is top three.

Early in the takeover, I'm vaguely recall DR was on record stating the owners expected they could be in this division for 3-4 years but hoped it could be sooner.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, nzlatic said:

Conlon 27

Dallas 24

Walker 21

Sachdev 18

Hammond 21

Garner 35

We’re signing a mixture. Other than age he’ll be looking at experience, leadership, character etc and judging what of those is lacking in the squad too. 

Hi NZ and thank you for replying. My point, though, was about Garner being seen by you as a replacement for Stones and an upgrade on Fondop. I fail to see much logic in signing a player on a permanent who will be approaching 38 years old when his contract is up. From the little I have seen of Latics so far, we lack physicality, energy and desire. It's a poor standard of football this league. If the plan is to just get promoted out of this league quick, so throwing lots of money around now then get some big, physical lads in, a cultured midfielder and play 4 4 2. Once promoted re-jig it. Simple really. Woking was a classic  "men against boys" debacle. Too many players in our team who are just brushed off the ball (edit : early days but I hope Walker, Sachdev and Hammond don't end up in this category but they are not physical types that's for sure)). I`m trying to get up to speed with players and I have tried to watch a couple closely to get to know them the past 2 games. I always say Ged Keegan was the worst midfielder I have ever seen for Latics. He was ineffective and always passing sideways and backwards. Lundstrum reminds me of him and he might even trump Ged Keegan. Who is signing such poor quality if we are supposed to want to go up quickly?

Edited by spanishfly

1 hour ago, spanishfly said:

..Who is signing such poor quality if we are supposed to want to go up quickly?

Unsworth signed Lundstrum and the hyperbole he came in with is what makes his current performances such a let down. He has to be better than that, surely? 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Wardie said:

Unsworth signed Lundstrum and the hyperbole he came in with is what makes his current performances such a let down. He has to be better than that, surely? 

Thank you and from my observations looks out of his depth.

55 minutes ago, Wardie said:

Don't get me wrong - Unsworth was never up to task, but he can't take absolute blame for signings.

"The Club" signed him.  Unsworth, but also the stats department and Head of Recruitment.

Accountability diluted.

It should all be down to the manager.  But it isn't.  Because of the way we're recruiting.

42 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Don't get me wrong - Unsworth was never up to task, but he can't take absolute blame for signings.

"The Club" signed him.  Unsworth, but also the stats department and Head of Recruitment.

Accountability diluted.

It should all be down to the manager.  But it isn't.  Because of the way we're recruiting.

He signed Norwood, does he get credit for that?

24 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

He signed Norwood, does he get credit for that?

As much as he does for the bad ones.  And only one as much as the Stats department/Head of recruitment gets.

I can't believe James Norwood - a Championship striker at the time - was convinced to come and play for us by David Unsworth and David Unsworth alone..

13 minutes ago, JoeP said:

As much as he does for the bad ones.  And only one as much as the Stats department/Head of recruitment gets.

I can't believe James Norwood - a Championship striker at the time - was convinced to come and play for us by David Unsworth and David Unsworth alone..

😂 Quite. 

He was convinced by half a million over two years. With the possibility of another 250k on top of that. 

3 minutes ago, League one forever said:

😂 Quite. 

He was convinced by half a million over two years. With the possibility of another 250k on top of that. 

That is too much money..

I'm starting to wonder if the being "sold the club's vision" line that new signings spurge out is actually anything to do with it...🤔.

8 hours ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

People questioning someone who's a clear and recent track record in promotion and has actually got us into the promotion frame already FFS.

He’s the manager. . .

He gets the plaudits when we win.

He takes the heat when we are woeful. 

And make no mistake the last two games haven’t been just poor, they have been dreadful. We have looked miles off in every possible department- at a time when we should have momentum.  I have defended him a lot when he was winning with pragmatic football. (A lot don’t like winning ugly, but I don’t care) Equally though-  I will call what I see when we are shit. 

If we don’t do that, we are basically saying that his track record means he’s untouchable and every woeful performance is always the players fault. That’s nonsense in my view. 

He has to be held accountable when 11 players all look miles off it. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JoeP said:

That is too much money..

I'm starting to wonder if the being "sold the club's vision" line that new signings spurge out is actually anything to do with it...🤔.

I had to smile when Micky said recently about the squad. 

It’s frustrating because I’d like to do more and a lot of players would love to come- but we have to move some players on. 

Yeah- I bet loads of players are desperate to wear the owl on their chest. . . and the fact we offer relatively fantastic contracts isn’t even discussed in football circles. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, JoeP said:

League one

• Thanks 1