What is your most unpopular Latics opinion or belief?

3 hours ago, nzlatic said:

Match fitness/sharpness and general fitness are different things.

I’m aware of that but due to regular training they surely have a basic level of fitness enabling them to compete for a bloody hour.

If match fitness is only achieved by playing matches how are they ever becoming match fit if they don’t play?

53 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

I don't remember a single person before January saying we don't need any more signings, we're fine with what we have. Even up front, after Stones went back, in the main people said he needed replacing.

Whether the type of player we've gone for (ie need time to get up to speed) is right or not remains to be seen. Maybe we should have gone for match fit hungry players from this league or below instead? But I personally don't think the way he's gone has been proven wrong by these last 2 games, it's too soon to tell. We'll have to see how it plays out.

Nothing can be proven one way or the other in two games.  But there's the square root of sod all in the credit column after those two games

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Londonboy said:

I'd take a shit Ged Keegan in today's team every day of the week🙂

I'll have you know when at Manchester City Ged was assigned to mark the great Johan Cruyff in a European Cup match and never let him have a kick.

The original yard dog.🙂

Edited by BP1960
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

If match fitness is only achieved by playing matches how are they ever becoming match fit if they don’t play?

This is my fear, maybe and it's a glimmer of hope that Mellon is still pushing the training and they are leggy but really now they should be at the stage where they should just be going out and expressing themselves and recovering for the next one.

On 4/9/2023 at 6:43 AM, the_mighty_bosh said:

That we should bring back the blue and red hoops home kit for next season...

...with the old style Chaddy the Owl who wore it.

That abomination was my worst kit ever.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

It seems a reasonable view that promotion this season would be an unexpected bonus but that the investment seen makes it a very clear objective for next.  But what one would assume to be our two principal strikers will be 34 & 36, and 35 & 37 in L2 should we get there, so not an obvious duo to push on in L2.  Hopefully Garner shows his worth but I really can't see what strategy was involved in his signing.

Barring injuries I'd expect Norwood to hold his own in League two next season should we pull off the unexpected. The 3rd year of his contract I wouldn't know it's too far off to gauge. Garner on the other hand I don't have a clue until I see him perform.

I just do NOT buy into building a side purely to get us out of the division then build again a side for League Two.

EDIT in capitals

Edited by Lags

14 minutes ago, Lags said:

Barring injuries I'd expect Norwood to hold his own in League two next season should we pull off the unexpected. The 3rd year of his contract I wouldn't know it's too far off to gauge. Garner on the other hand I don't have a clue until I see him perform.

I just do buy into building a side purely to get us out of the division then build again a side for League two.

Surely it’s more cost effective to build a side to win promotion from the NL and one that is also able to compete towards the top end of league 2 as I can’t see the better players that we need dropping down a division or two for a one year deal?

25 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Surely it’s more cost effective to build a side to win promotion from the NL and one that is also able to compete towards the top end of league 2 as I can’t see the better players that we need dropping down a division or two for a one year deal?

I agree, I missed out a very important NOT. Fixed it now with an edit

Edited by Lags

8 hours ago, BP1960 said:

I'll have you know when at Manchester City Ged was assigned to mark the great Johan Cruyff in a European Cup match and never let him have a kick.

The original yard dog.🙂

Was this the pre season friendly here? Not a European match. Where Cruyff scored without having a kick?

https://www.citytilidie.com/latest/barcelona-away-friendly-1974-to-75/

• Like 1

15 hours ago, BP1960 said:

The original yard dog.🙂

But City never played Barca in a European tie when Keegan was at Maine Road and Cruyff in Spain.  Other than that , good story. 

• Thanks 1

On 2/6/2024 at 7:48 AM, LaticsPete said:

But City never played Barca in a European tie when Keegan was at Maine Road and Cruyff in Spain.  Other than that , good story. 

Could have been Ajax?

Edited by oafc1955

34 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Could have been Ajax?

34 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Could of been Ajax?

Not when Keegan was at City and Cruyff at Ajax. Just didn’t happen, this marking master class in a European tie. 

Edited by LaticsPete

10 hours ago, LaticsPete said:

From Ged himself

“My first game for City’s senior side was away to Barcelona in the Nou Camp and I remember Willie Donachie speaking with Johan Cruyff before the game".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

From Ged himself

“My first game for City’s senior side was away to Barcelona in the Nou Camp and I remember Willie Donachie speaking with Johan Cruyff before the game".

Ye. It was a friendly and Cruyff scored and Barca won 3-2. Tell us again how you remember the game and Cruyff scoring despite never having a kick

On 2/5/2024 at 4:02 PM, BP1960 said:

The original yard dog.🙂

Lol. Ged Keegan couldn't mark a toddler's book after a spelling test, BP 💩

13 hours ago, BP1960 said:

From Ged himself

But not the supposed game you reference at Maine Road in a European tie when Keegan apparently “didn’t give Cruyff a kick”. That match never happened. 

Nobody disputes the Nou Camp friendly but that’s not what you claimed! , nor did you see that game, and Cruyff scored in it! 
By all means make your opinions known on past events but please make sure the facts are accurate. 

Edited by LaticsPete

8 hours ago, LaticsPete said:

But not the supposed game you reference at Maine Road in a European tie when Keegan apparently “didn’t give Cruyff a kick”. That match never happened. 

Nobody disputes the Nou Camp friendly but that’s not what you claimed! , nor did you see that game, and Cruyff scored in it! 
By all means make your opinions known on past events but please make sure the facts are accurate. 

Well if we are sticklers for accurate facts, I can't help pointing out that BP didn't say that the match in question was at Maine Road.....

3 hours ago, Worcester Owl said:

Well if we are sticklers for accurate facts, I can't help pointing out that BP didn't say that the match in question was at Maine Road.....

Fair enough ..it wasn’t anywhere. 

• Like 1

Does it really matter on a fans MB that occasionally most posters can't remember every detail? Most if not all of our MP's and even Prime ministers it seems remember nowt or didn't read the brief. Give the bloke a rest!! 

• Like 4