club legends ?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, Punce said:

Great times but I would have him down as cult hero - if only he had been with us longer.... no doubt about his impact.

Has anyone mentioned Andy Ritchie?

I would argue that, despite his short time with us, his contribution and effect on the whole club make him one of our most significant players.

Three figures stand out as very important within a very short time.

John Lowe became chairman in late 1969 and set the tone at board level for a period.

He, apparently reluctantly, appointed Jimmy Frizzell as manager and that set off a quarter of a century of success on the field.

Frizzell's first signing was Fryatt. It represented a complete change in attitude. We went from the kid who was being buliied to having the cock of the school as best mate overnight. We got away from the bottom of the fourth division and got promoted in 70-1.

Frizzell was astute enough to mould a team that fed Fryatt and Shaw and they scored nearly fifty goals between them in the promotion season. If David Shaw had been a good finisher he'd have had 40.

The classic team from that season is worth noting:

Dowd, Wood, Whittle, McNeill, Cranston, Bowie, Heath, Shaw, Fryatt , Bryceland, Bebbington.

88 goals, 1 promotion and a £75000 stand, with around 2,200 total appearances for the club.

Tommy Bryceland remains  at least the equal of any player I have seen for Latics

A legendary team.

1 hour ago, Dickie Down said:

I would argue that, despite his short time with us, his contribution and effect on the whole club make him one of our most significant players.

John Lowe became chairman in late 1969 and set the tone at board level for a period.

He, apparently reluctantly, appointed Jimmy Frizzell as manager and that set off a quarter of a century of success on the field.

Frizzell's first signing was Fryatt. It represented a complete change in attitude. We went from the kid who was being buliied to having the cock of the school as best mate overnight. We got away from the bottom of the fourth division and got promoted in 70-1.

Frizzell was astute enough to mould a team that fed Fryatt and Shaw and they scored nearly fifty goals between them in the promotion season. If David Shaw had been a good finisher he'd have had 40.

Dowd, Wood, Whittle, McNeill, Cranston, Bowie, Heath, Shaw, Fryatt , Bryceland, Bebbington.

88 goals, 1 promotion and a £75000 stand, with around 2,200 total appearances for the club.

Tommy Bryceland remains  at least the equal of any player I have seen for Latics

A legendary team.

I remember that team as if it was yesterday, apart from Heath.  Rings no bells at all

1 hour ago, Dave_Og said:

I remember that team as if it was yesterday, apart from Heath.  Rings no bells at all

Heath is probably a  legend at Swindon Town, a flying winger probably just past his best with us,but still good.

Royle

Frizzell

Ritchie

Stainrod

Palmer

Goram

Bunn

Holden

Milligan and Henry (you can't treat them as one)

Sheridan

Marshall

Jobson

Barrett

Eyres

Halle

Barlow

Donachie

Urmson

Stott

The Futchers

Quinn

Halom

Blair

Wood

Dowie

peado Groves for many on here, but I can't past his 'marriage.'

All the good old boys who created the club and took us within a whisker of wining the league. Fucking Kaiser...typical.

I'm sure I've forgotten someone....

21 minutes ago, bigfatjoe1 said:

Royle

Frizzell

Ritchie

Stainrod

Palmer

Goram

Bunn

Holden

Sheridan

Marshall

Jobson

Barrett

Eyres

Halle

Barlow

Donachie

Urmson

Stott

The Futchers

Quinn

Halom

Blair

Wood

Dowie

All the good old boys who created the club and took us within a whisker of wining the league. Fucking Kaiser...typical.

Gordon? 

6 hours ago, Dickie Down said:

A legendary team.

Yes I can remember Bryceland bossing the midfield. Oh how I wish we had someone like that now.

There's a lot who could be classed under could've/might've/should've, but who left, got injured, just didn't quite push on:

Andy Gorton

Richard Graham

Paul Atkinson.

Carl Serrant

John Ryan

Carl Valentine

Wayne Harrison (tragic)

Darren McDonough

Alan Young

For other reasons...

Andy Gorton

Mark Ward

Many, many others could be added.

3 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

Alan Hardy

It put me off him when he went nuts at something someone in the Chaddy said, and got a copper to kick him out. Can't remember the opposition, but it was a highly charged atmosphere.

Then there was the great ticket scandal on the first ever Isle of Man Tour. He had a proper row with one the fans.

However, in the great scheme of things, he certainly played his part in our history.

4 hours ago, bigfatjoe1 said:

Royle

Frizzell

Ritchie

Stainrod

Palmer

Goram

Bunn

Holden

Sheridan

Marshall

Jobson

Barrett

Eyres

Halle

Barlow

Donachie

Urmson

Stott

The Futchers

Quinn

Halom

Blair

Wood

Dowie

Steve Taylor and Rodger Wylde would always make my own list

24 minutes ago, bigfatjoe1 said:

There's a lot who could be classed under could've/might've/should've, but who left, got injured, just didn't quite push on:

Andy Gorton

Richard Graham

Paul Atkinson.

Carl Serrant

John Ryan

Carl Valentine

Wayne Harrison (tragic)

Darren McDonough

Alan Young

For other reasons...

Andy Gorton

Mark Ward

Many, many others could be added.

Andy Gorton is a legend, the licensed trade was seriously indebted to him. 

7 hours ago, bigfatjoe1 said:

Royle

Frizzell

Ritchie

Stainrod

Palmer

Goram

Bunn

Holden

Sheridan

Marshall

Jobson

Barrett

Eyres

Halle

Barlow

Donachie

Urmson

Stott

The Futchers

Quinn

Halom

Blair

Wood

Dowie

Maurice Whittle for his goal at York City.

Kenny Clements outstanding at centre back.

19 hours ago, bigfatjoe1 said:

Royle

Frizzell

Ritchie

Stainrod

Palmer

Goram

Bunn

Holden

Sheridan

Marshall

Jobson

Barrett

Eyres

Halle

Barlow

Donachie

Urmson

Stott

The Futchers

Quinn

Halom

Blair

Wood

Dowie

Irwin, Redfearn. I'd also go with Wright and Ward. 

Archived