club legends ?

after seeing a comment on another thread 

whom in your time supporting this club do you think qualifies for the term "club legend "

for me and in no particular order 

jimmy frizzel 

joe royle

johnny shez

ian wood 

rodger palmer 

andy ritchie 

andy barlow 

david eyres 

billy urmston

neil redfearn

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, peanuts2 said:

after seeing a comment on another thread 

whom in your time supporting this club do you think qualifies for the term "club legend "

for me and in no particular order 

jimmy frizzel 

joe royle

johnny shez

ian wood 

rodger palmer 

andy ritchie 

andy barlow 

david eyres 

billy urmston

neil redfearn

Alan Groves,Colin Garwood Loads more

Alan Groves - simply because he was the most skillful player I`ve ever seen in a Latics shirt. I don't mean he was the "best" ever player, but to watch him turn defenders inside out with his mesmerising dribbles was just pure magic.

What do we call the next level down from club Legends?

I'm not sure the likes of Peter Clarke Matt Smith or Jose Baxter should be spoken in the same breath as Ritchie Palmer and Holden etc. But we do and should remember and recognise them fondly do we call them cult heroes?

So you have

Legends

Cult heroes

Good players

Average players

Crap

Really Crap

Sonny Sefil

16 hours ago, True Tic said:

John platt , keeper who had one kidney I seem to remember, or a problem with his kidneys 

He was "kicked in the kidney" by a Luton Town player and had to have said organ removed from memory. I remember the match. For many years afterwards, the song from the Chaddy Enders whenever we played Luton and the ball went anywhere near their keeper was, "Kick him in the kidneys!"

4 minutes ago, wiseowl said:

He was "kicked in the kidney" by a Luton Town player and had to have said organ removed from memory. I remember the match. For many years afterwards, the song from the Chaddy Enders whenever we played Luton and the ball went anywhere near their keeper was, "Kick him in the kidneys!"

😂, it’s a faint memory but I recall my dad telling me about it 

17 hours ago, True Tic said:

John platt , keeper who had one kidney I seem to remember, or a problem with his kidneys 

If I recall correctly he was injured- kick in the back- away at Luton and taken to hospital. When he was being treated they found a serious problem with the other kidney which they removed. Brave decision to return to playing I thought.

I think we were in the middle of an amazing run- 7 wins on the bounce and 13 or so unbeaten.

Archived