club legends ?

14 minutes ago, Longlostfan said:

If I recall correctly he was injured- kick in the back- away at Luton and taken to hospital. When he was being treated they found a serious problem with the other kidney which they removed. Brave decision to return to playing I thought.

I think we were in the middle of an amazing run- 7 wins on the bounce and 13 or so unbeaten.

I recall him being ginger with a tache , and I used to marvel at the distance of his kicking although that could have been because I was only around 7/8 years old at the time … 

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, wiseowl said:

He was "kicked in the kidney" by a Luton Town player and had to have said organ removed from memory. I remember the match. For many years afterwards, the song from the Chaddy Enders whenever we played Luton and the ball went anywhere near their keeper was, "Kick him in the kidneys!"

Ron Futcher

21 hours ago, Longlostfan said:

If I recall correctly he was injured- kick in the back- away at Luton and taken to hospital. 

I recall it being a home game - but then again, my memory is becoming somewhat fuzzy!

Wikipedia says 'long spell of injury from March 77' Corresponds with the away game at Luton.

Think I'm mistaken with my recollection it was part of a long unbeaten run.

Wasn't so much coverage back then. Local radio highlights at the weekend, very little for night matches. If you missed the round up on the radio you had to wait for the chron.

7 hours ago, Dickie Down said:

Is this thread complete without mention of the great Jim Fryatt?

And David Shaw, the fastest striker ever to play for the club. 90 goals in 2 spells with us.

On 4/9/2023 at 5:48 PM, GlossopLatic said:

What do we call the next level down from club Legends?

I'm not sure the likes of Peter Clarke Matt Smith or Jose Baxter should be spoken in the same breath as Ritchie Palmer and Holden etc. But we do and should remember and recognise them fondly do we call them cult heroes?

I always consider Cult Hero to mean "he was a bit shit but we liked him". No?

32 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

I always consider Cult Hero to mean "he was a bit shit but we liked him". No?

You could look it like that yeah like the guy that isn't that good but he has a go and you love him for it Ernie Cooksey possibly springs to mind here.

I know this is splitting hairs and perhaps pendandism but what do we call someone who isn't quite a legend but is abit better than good? Again I'm thinking the Peter Clarkes Jose Baxters?

14 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

You could look it like that yeah like the guy that isn't that good but he has a go and you love him for it Ernie Cooksey possibly springs to mind here.

I know this is splitting hairs and perhaps pendandism but what do we call someone who isn't quite a legend but is abit better than good? Again I'm thinking the Peter Clarkes Jose Baxters?

17 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Ngoo was a cult hero.

Legend > Great > Was very good for us...

I'd put Clarke and Baxter in the third category. Chris Taylor too.

Oooh, was Eyresy a great or a legend? 

Shez was a great player, great manager, great servant (not least for risking his health to turn out after Moore) all those added together = Legend. 

On 4/11/2023 at 3:16 PM, Dickie Down said:

Is this thread complete without mention of the great Jim Fryatt?

Great times but I would have him down as cult hero - if only he had been with us longer.... no doubt about his impact.

Has anyone mentioned Andy Ritchie?

11 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

Ngoo was a cult hero.

Legend > Great > Was very good for us...

I'd put Clarke and Baxter in the third category. Chris Taylor too.

Oooh, was Eyresy a great or a legend? 

Shez was a great player, great manager, great servant (not least for risking his health to turn out after Moore) all those added together = Legend. 

A great, seems fair enough Id go with that. I'd put Eyrsie in Legend category due to the longevity we got out of him.

For our younger listeners this was Jim Fryatt.  I say cult hero, because he was loved by the crowd straight off.

image.jpeg.19b2e9ab7eb160e759953a06a43f8305.jpeg

At a time of Flower Power, The Stones, Beatles, Make love Trip out,  Jim turned up looking like a Victorian pawnbroker.   Great player for us.

13 minutes ago, Punce said:

For our younger listeners this was Jim Fryatt.  I say cult hero, because he was loved by the crowd straight off.

At a time of Flower Power, The Stones, Beatles, Make love Trip out,  Jim turned up looking like a Victorian pawnbroker.   Great player for us.

Blackburn's photographer caught him on a good hair day!  😉

39 minutes ago, Punce said:

Looks like a proper English gentleman. 

On 4/10/2023 at 2:36 PM, True Tic said:

I recall him being ginger with a tache , and I used to marvel at the distance of his kicking although that could have been because I was only around 7/8 years old at the time … 

Seem to remember him and Peter McDonnell being ‘rotated’ at one point - bit like Shilton and Clemence for England. Is that right?

9 minutes ago, dannyboy55555 said:

Seem to remember him and Peter McDonnell being ‘rotated’ at one point - bit like Shilton and Clemence for England. Is that right?

I seem to recall him breaking his leg or some bad injury while watching at boundary park maybe wrong as many years ago.

4 hours ago, Punce said:

Great times but I would have him down as cult hero - if only he had been with us longer.... no doubt about his impact.

Has anyone mentioned Andy Ritchie?

As I was entering my local 'spoons Friday lunchtime, two lads coming out were saying, I quote," I do remember them having Roger Palmer and Andy Ritchie..." , they were amongst a group of Alti fans on the way from South Mancunia going to Boundary Park, so I reckon those  names are bang on for Legends .

5 hours ago, Punce said:

And you wouldn't have been surprised to see him trotting out onto the pitch with a Capstan Full Strenght in his mouth.

10 hours ago, dannyboy55555 said:

I’m not sure, some things are a bit fuzzy 😁, but just sticks in my head my dad telling me about Platt and his kidney 

Archived