Retained list

this isnt really a 'retained list' is it? looks like a rushed story to me, 22 is far too high.

the whole point of the 'retained list' is to tell us who has been retained next year, not who has been retained until the end of May.

and the Yarney confusion seems like classic blurred bank holiday email sending.

they should have done a released list and said the retained list will be announce tba when they actually had one.

thanks for trying to keep us in the loop tho!!

Edited by Monty Burns
isnt

9 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

this isnt really a 'retained list' is it? looks like a rushed story to me, 22 is far too high.

the whole point of the 'retained list' is to tell us who has been retained next year, not who has been retained until the end of May.

and the Yarney confusion seems like classic blurred bank holiday email sending.

they should have done a released list and said the retained list will be announce tba when they actually had one.

thanks for trying to keep us in the loop tho!!

I disagree on that point Monty. The list is very clear in respect of who is under contract for 23/24, who has been released at the end of their new contract and who has been offered new terms.

The only slight confusion was over Yarney, still under contract but offered improved terms whereas the other players on that list have been offered new terms at the end of their contracts.

• Like 3

Tollitt's Twitter post could be viewed as being a bit cryptic.

Uno has talked up McGahey on occasion so see him sticking around.

Whoever sanctioned multi year contracts for Gardner and Windass should never work in football again.

7 minutes ago, Hemel latic said:

I disagree on that point Monty. The list is very clear in respect of who is under contract for 23/24, who has been released at the end of their new contract and who has been offered new terms.

The only slight confusion was over Yarney, still under contract but offered improved terms whereas the other players on that list have been offered new terms at the end of their contracts.

you think Lootbagger, Windass, Gardner, Burgess will be here for the first match of next season?

McGahey hasnt had a chance to show the management what he can do, so lm reserving comment there but we arent challenging for the title with that squad.

lm one of the most optimistic, loyal, happy clappers on here and either that is not the 'retained list' or we fancy using 40 players again. both them scenarios can not be true.

ps lm happy that Luamba has been recognised. he was promising, then he got injured, then he became a man whilst injured and his brain hadnt quite mapped that yet when we desperatley launched him in too early.

Burgess has lovely feet, but seems too nice.

l'd wager 2-3 of the 'difficult conversations' didnt quite go to plan, but that means Rhino has a heart, l can live with that bc it should bring loyalty, team spirit etc. the olde 'hes got them running thru walls for the club' type effort which started to emerge from jan onwards.

Edited by Monty Burns
bring

4 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

you think Lootbagger, Windass, Gardner, Burgess will be here for the first match of next season?

McGahey hasnt had a chance to show the management what he can do, so lm reserving comment there but we arent challenging for the title with that squad.

lm one of the most optimistic, loyal, happy clappers on here and either that is not the 'retained list' or we fancy using 40 players again. both them scenarios can not be true.

The format of the list works for me. We know who is currently under contract and hence retained for the moment. We also know which players are in negotiations and which players have been released.

The number of players coming in will not be confirmed yet but is, to a certain extent, influenced by the outcome of the negotiations. At a minimum it will be four or five. I expect that Gardner will be here next season  - fitness is an issue but he is a good player at this level and is under contract.

Also - if we are going to operate with a B team then the squad number will need to be circa 30 or so.

It is too early to speculate further - let’s wait and see 😃

4 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

The format of the list works for me. We know who is currently under contract and hence retained for the moment. We also know which players are in negotiations and which players have been released.

The number of players coming in will not be confirmed yet but is, to a certain extent, influenced by the outcome of the negotiations. At a minimum it will be four or five. I expect that Gardner will be here next season  - fitness is an issue but he is a good player at this level and is under contract.

Also - if we are going to operate with a B team then the squad number will need to be circa 30 or so.

It is too early to speculate further - let’s wait and see 😃

l can see what you mean but that just reads a long winded way to agree with me but without actually doing it!!

l dont want a 'retained for now' list, its the same as issuing a statement to announce we will not be issuing a statement. l would have been fine waiting a few more weeks whilst we paid up Lootbagger n The Gang.

there is obviously some previous regime legacy still lingering in some contracts and the B-team point is valid, so l'm going to take on board what everybody has said and shut up. 

3 hours ago, Lukers1 said:

Six players have already verbally agreed terms to come in when their current contracts expire at their current clubs.

I don’t know who they are but getting business done early is brilliant.  

Where’s that come from?

1 hour ago, TheBigDog said:

I still don’t get the B team. 

On our budget, why would you sign development players and play them in a B team. Surely that’s a massive unnecessary cost.

Just buy first team players. 

26 minutes ago, League one forever said:

I still don’t get the B team. 

On our budget, why would you sign development players and play them in a B team. Surely that’s a massive unnecessary cost.

Just buy first team players. 

As a route to give youth players a chance to step up a level

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

As a route to give youth players a chance to step up a level

Yep. The only trouble is, we had three players last year as first year pros. (All have now been released) These are the players DU said needed to play men’s football without the pressure. I’d imagine only 3 or 4 will get deals this year.

So we have a B team for max 3 or 4 players and to give players who are nowhere near the side a game. The players nowhere near the side shouldn’t be signed or if they are here go out on loan. 

9 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Yep. The only trouble is, we had three players last year as first year pros. (All have now been released) These are the players DU said needed to play men’s football without the pressure. I’d imagine only 3 or 4 will get deals this year.

So we have a B team for max 3 or 4 players and to give players who are nowhere near the side a game. The players nowhere near the side shouldn’t be signed or if they are here go out on loan. 

Plus those returning from injury, those out of favour (not in Mo style!) and wanting to impress.  If we have, say a 26 man squad that's ten players who aren't in this week's first team squad

Edited by Dave_Og
  • Like 1

fao deyres42.windass would have been sanctioned by MO.gardender was signed the day after the takeover,so frank/board would have sanctioned by frank/board.gardener had been training with latics butMOblocked the signing due to  previous altercation with abdullah.in both cass shez gave the adivice

3 hours ago, deyres42 said:

Whoever sanctioned multi year contracts for Gardner and Windass should never work in football again.

Sheri giving a two yearer to Windass cos he's mates with his dad deserves an FA inquiry for bringing the game into disrepute...

1 hour ago, League one forever said:

Why can’t we play youths without pro deals? Would seem an obvious way to test if they can make the step up before putting money down. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

Plus those returning from injury, those out of favour (not in Mo style!) and wanting to impress.  If we have, say a 26 man squad that's ten players who aren't in this week's first team squad

Yeah, this is what I don’t get. 

DU said at the end of season fans forum, the squad is too big and needs trimming, so we have quality over quantity. 

A few weeks later. 

18 contracted. 

4 in negotiations 

6 coming in (according to lukers) 

3/4 first year pros. 

We’re back to plus 30. 

If that’s the case, you could make an argument for a B team. But it totally contradicts what was said before. I can only assume we must a very healthy budget to carry such a big squad again. 

Edited by League one forever

I think McGahey could be a decent player at this level particularly with a decent pre season under his belt, I'm comfortable with Hogan, Yarmey, McGahey, Sutton and Sheron as centre half options, probably need a decent right back and someone who could cover Kitching if needed. Hogan was outstanding for the last month and was obviously playing through injury before.

Of the midfield this is where any money should be spent for me, much will depend on how we do next season with the recruitment in this area of the team, more so than upfront, I like Gardner but he's made of biscuits now, Sheron has been decent at CDM, I'm pretty sure Shelton will come back flying next season with a rest and decent pre season as he's another whose been playing with niggles but we still need that touch of quality to be real promotion contenders.

Upfront I think we are okay maybe some one who can play wide left in a front three, I know Hope has done a job there at times but he looked fucking awful when he came back towards the back end and not a patch on the player he was at the start of the season when he was probably our best player, incident in the car park may have left its mark?.

Nuttall, Reid, Fondop will get goals at this level I just wish Nuttall would play with a little more conviction, he seems to over think with the ball at his feet and take an extra touch or two when not needed, if everything he did was half a second quicker he'd be a better player for it, more than two touches and he's fucked . Might be another one who comes back sharper for a pre season.

I'm not bothered about the size of the squad really but it has to be manageable on the training pitch otherwise the message just gets diluted.

There are a few decent players supposedly retained who I reckon Unsworth will probably be happy to let go if it suits both parties and I reckon at least half a dozen of those kept will be on an unannounced transfer list.

5 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

.....but we should have just done a released list and said retained was to follow.

you might be overthinking this Monty.

Previous years we have started August with 5 or fewer, scrambled to get bodies in, wasted half a season waiting for them to gel under their third manager of the season.

This year we have a core of a squad under contract- this should be a no news story.

The players who definitely won't be here know early and can get their agents working etc to find their next place.

Some of those under contract may well move on before the start of next season. We won't know what was said unless the player chooses to tweet it etc but one could imagine something like ' look son you don't really feature in my plans, your my 4th choice for x position , I'd be happy for you to move on, won't stand in your way if your agent finds you something else...... but if you stay and prove me wrong I'm OK with that'

As stated above bonuses, appearance fees, playing regularly all help get the next contract so a move might be in their best interests.