Retained list

1 minute ago, League one forever said:

Mmmmmm. I take it from that, we aren’t prepared to pay anyone off who hasn’t featured. 

Burgess

Windass

Luetwiller

Magehy 

If the four in negotiations all sign as well that gives us a squad of 22. Which means bar maybe 2/3 signings, he’s largely going with what we’ve got this season to push for promotion next year. 

Big call. . 

My thoughts exactly.  I thought we would be left with 17 not 22. Luamba Hope and McGahey I expected to leave. I think we need 3 additions minimum. He needs to get rid of a few. Burgess McGahey Windass and maybe 2 others.

13 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Mmmmmm. I take it from that, we aren’t prepared to pay anyone off who hasn’t featured. 

Burgess

Windass

Luetwiller

Magehy 

If the four in negotiations all sign as well that gives us a squad of 22. Which means bar maybe 2/3 signings, he’s largely going with what we’ve got this season to push for promotion next year. 

Big call. . 

People have to agree to be paid off, it can’t be forced on them. If they’re still here, they can get physio, insurance, etc. 

2 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Of course. 

Conversely they could get a double bubble with a pay off and a contract elsewhere. It cuts both ways. 

Doubt it. A payoff would likely to be structured to diminish if employed elsewhere. Doesn't have to be just a simple lump sum.

• Like 1

The dissapperance and fall off from Leutwiler is bizarre. He still trains with the first team and most of his career has been League One / Championship. 

Norman has proven me wrong this season to be fair to him but I feel if anyone takes a pop from distance there's a strong chance it goes in if it's on target. 

9 minutes ago, GKing521 said:

The dissapperance and fall off from Leutwiler is bizarre. He still trains with the first team and most of his career has been League One / Championship. 

Norman has proven me wrong this season to be fair to him but I feel if anyone takes a pop from distance there's a strong chance it goes in if it's on target. 

He'd played 22 games in four seasons before he arrived. Clues were there

1 hour ago, Dave_Og said:

Doubt it. A payoff would likely to be structured to diminish if employed elsewhere. Doesn't have to be just a simple lump sum.

I doubt that. If that was the case why would any player agree to being released- when there’s no upside.

In any conversation like that, it’s common sense it has to be in the players interest, otherwise he’s much better off sitting out his contract. 

‘We’ll pay you- but only until you get another club. . ‘

‘Nah. I’ll just stay here.’

42 minutes ago, League one forever said:

We’ll pay you- but only until you get another club. . ‘

That’s not what he’s saying….

Any footballer worth his salt should want to play and I would hope Leutwiler feels the same.

He’s got a year left on his contract, If he’s on say £1500 a week and gets offered a deal at another club worth £1000 a week we could come to an agreement/settlement. We pay him £25000 over the course of the season. We save £50k and he gets the equivalent wage at his new club!

Edited by oafc1955

58 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

That’s not what he’s saying….

Any footballer worth his salt should want to play and I would hope Leutwiler feels the same.

He’s got a year left on his contract, If he’s on say £1500 a week and gets offered a deal at another club worth £1000 a week we could come to an agreement/settlement. We pay him £25000 over the course of the season. We save £50k and he gets the equivalent wage at his new club!

I understand what he’s saying and how it may work. 

I just don’t think a released player would move for the same or less money- however it was structured. I also don’t think the  ‘he should want to play’ is as prevalent as you may think it is. It’s a job. 

If you could stay where you were, and do very little for your money. Or move without any monetary incentive- and play. I think a lot would sit their contract out. 

8 hours ago, League one forever said:

I doubt that. If that was the case why would any player agree to being released- when there’s no upside.

In any conversation like that, it’s common sense it has to be in the players interest, otherwise he’s much better off sitting out his contract. 

‘We’ll pay you- but only until you get another club. . ‘

‘Nah. I’ll just stay here.’

Because they might want to play? If they get a club at a level down then they won't be financially worse off for the length of their contract. It is certainly how many manager contracts work.

6 hours ago, League one forever said:

I understand what he’s saying and how it may work. 

I just don’t think a released player would move for the same or less money- however it was structured. I also don’t think the  ‘he should want to play’ is as prevalent as you may think it is. It’s a job. 

If you could stay where you were, and do very little for your money. Or move without any monetary incentive- and play. I think a lot would sit their contract out. 

If they're offered a two year contract somewhere and half of that is effectively at the current salary it's a no brainer. There's a reason why it's called a compromise agreement.

Because they might want to play? If they get a club at a level down then they won't be financially worse off for the length of their contract. It is certainly how many manager contracts work.

See my previous post. 

Do you want to play NLN and we’ll make sure you don’t lose out financially for the remainder of your contract here. 

Er, no thanks. 

If they're offered a two year contract somewhere and half of that is effectively at the current salary it's a no brainer. There's a reason why it's called a compromise agreement.

This is the only option I can see where it’s palatable to agree to being released. 

But how many times at our level do players get released and sign multi year contracts elsewhere. . . 

‘Oh- you haven’t played for nearly two years, here’s a multi year deal with us’ There’s a reason they are being released. 

11 minutes ago, League one forever said:

See my previous post. 

Do you want to play NLN and we’ll make sure you don’t lose out financially for the remainder of your contract here. 

Er, no thanks. 

This is the only option I can see where it’s palatable to agree to being released. 

But how many times at our level do players get released and sign multi year contracts elsewhere. . . 

‘Oh- you haven’t played for nearly two years, here’s a multi year deal with us’ There’s a reason they are being released. 

Well, if they spend another year doing zip all that diminishes their prospects further. 

I think with outfield players it does matter how much you play in terms of your value with the odd exception.

However, for keepers it is less of an issue. As all clubs need 2 keepers and most want more than that but only 1 can play and they very rarely come on as a substitute. So I think Leutwiler can be happy to take his pay and do nothing and it won't diminish his next contract too much.

There are a lot of keepers with international caps warming the bench, and sometimes not even that, for their clubs.

Unsworth apparently said at the fans forum that we were looking to bring in 8 or 9, so he must be confident of binning off them he doesn’t want to make room for the new signings. Then again, he has been known to talk bollocks before

3 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

Just to put a hypothetical to this to make sure I understand correctly, say the player is on £500 a week with us with a year left. Would we be saying we'll pay you up in full and release you but if you get a contract elsewhere we'll pay the difference between that contract and your existing one? So if they got a one year contract elsewhere for £250 a week, we'd pay them the £250 a week difference for that year rather than £500?

So they have a choice between staying with us but never playing. Or leaving and not losing out financially, possibly getting another club and playing but with the risk of no one to train with if they can't get fixed up?

Six players have already verbally agreed terms to come in when their current contracts expire at their current clubs.

I don’t know who they are but getting business done early is brilliant.  

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

There are a lot of keepers with international caps warming the bench, and sometimes not even that, for their clubs.

Maybe so but you should want to be playing surely! He’s been sat on his arse all season and probably missed out on a World Cup squad place because of it!

It’s highly unlikely that he’ll play for us again, in fact it’s nailed on!

He’s getting paid for doing f*** all!!

He’s not even on the bench anymore, I just couldn’t imagine training all week then watching from the stands, if he’s happy to do that then I’m sorry but I’d be doing all I could to get shut of him even if it costs us a few bob!!

Oh and another thing….he’s crap too!!

44 minutes ago, Lukers1 said:

Six players have already verbally agreed terms to come in when their current contracts expire at their current clubs.

I don’t know who they are but getting business done early is brilliant.  

6 - seems a lot. 

That would give us a squad of 28- without loans or youth team. Add them in we could be back up to 30+. 

56 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Just to put a hypothetical to this to make sure I understand correctly, say the player is on £500 a week with us with a year left. Would we be saying we'll pay you up in full and release you but if you get a contract elsewhere we'll pay the difference between that contract and your existing one? So if they got a one year contract elsewhere for £250 a week, we'd pay them the £250 a week difference for that year rather than £500?

So they have a choice between staying with us but never playing. Or leaving and not losing out financially, possibly getting another club and playing but with the risk of no one to train with if they can't get fixed up?

Many compromise agreements don't just pay a lump sum.  The may still pay monthly salaries but the amount would reduce if the individual gets employment elsewhere

• Thanks 1

This looks much less of a problem now with only 3, possibly 4, players in the squad that won't figure in the manager's plans next season.

Leutwiler is the one that really stands out for me. It seems to have been made really obvious he has no future at the club with the signing of Hudson, and Hudson being offered new terms. However this has been the case for at least six months and he's still here. 

Poor Windass is probably also stuck. He went out on loan last season to Buxton in the NLN, surely needs to be playing at his age.

And Luke Burgess. Loan to Alty but featured exclusively as a substitute. I suppose there might be the prospect of him moving on.

I reckon McGahey might feature if, IF, he's fully fit after his back problems.

Everyone else in the squad has featured under Unsworth. Suspect the Luamba contract offer is either because there's interest, or he's been showing in training, or a combination of the two.

14 hours ago, GKing521 said:

hes shit. he is a canadian goalkeeper, a rarity amongst rarities, and he doesnt even make their squad!!!

that like being french but not burning tyres in the street every few months.
#Lootbagger

Lets be honest, most players want to play. Even Sunday Leaguers are not happy on the bench let alone not even making that. It's a short career and ego's to rub, of course 99% want to be playing.

The other point I wanted to make regarding player's compromising and taking a pay off, a players wage is usually made up of Elements, one being appearance money. A striker may have a goal bonus, defenders and keepers a clean sheet bonus. Win bonuses. Sat in stands earn none of these. A player's salary needs to be looked at in the round.

Edited by Lags
  • Like 2