Retained list

Think a left footed CB would give the team/squad better balance, especially after Clarke's departure. Ryan Johnson (promoted with Hartlepool and Stockport) looks likely to be out of contract and would seem ideal. 

McGahey could come good, but this is a lengthy layoff with a serious injury and a CB signing makes sense to me as it is an area where bookings/dismissals are an occupational hazard.

Agree with Yardog on midfield creativity being the key area, but reckon we do need another striker. Not entirely convinced Sambou would be the answer, but would bow to DU's inside knowledge. Abraham? No thanks!

Edited by Boyyou

42 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

The centre half from Curzon Ashton, Devon Matthews has been linked to us for a little while.

Didn't make it through our academy at 16 but seems to be improving with age.

47 minutes ago, LaticsPete said:

A Southend player may feature according to a senior executive. 

They have a central defender from Manchester called Shaun Hobson who's moving back up north... I've no idea if it's us he's coming to though.

3 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

It does seem pretty obvious 

Yeah, really obvious. .. 😂 🤦🏻‍♂️

Who is good enough to be so wanted by another club that they’ll pay a fee or offer a contract to an already contracted player- but who is also deemed surplus to requirements by us. 

I’d say maybe Tollit- that’s it. One. 

Who is going to come in for Gardener, Magehy, luetwiller, Windass, and Burgess? And pay them them more than we are when they’re not catching or injury prone. It doesn’t make sense. 

Who came in for Maynard, Clarke, Angol, or Stobbs and offered them a contract? No one. 

We could maybe shift them out on loan, but you’re still paying a percentage of their wage.

Theres no question it will be a large squad again. 

6 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Yeah, really obvious. .. 😂🤦🏻‍♂️

Who is good enough to be so wanted by another club that they’ll pay a fee or offer a contract to an already contracted player- but who is also deemed surplus to requirements by us. 

I’d say maybe Tollit- that’s it. One. 

Who is going to come in for Gardener, Magehy, luetwiller, Windass, and Burgess? And pay them them more than we are when they’re not catching or injury prone. It doesn’t make sense. 

Who came in for Maynard, Clarke, Angol, or Stobbs and offered them a contract? No one. 

We could maybe shift them out on loan, but you’re still paying a percentage of their wage.

Theres no question it will be a large squad again. 

Signed for Accrington? Really. Looked a proper donkey.

14 hours ago, Longlostfan said:

you might be overthinking this Monty.

100%
l overthink absolutely everything then have to perculate the truth out, sometimes with hindsight!

the retained list is kinda sacred to me, its a once per year pinned up peice of faith and l jus feel we sort of disrepected the concept. no biggie (lm lying its still annoyin me 🙄) l can handle it!

its such a better position than half the fanbase has ever known, the excitement may cause me to be even more unbearable than usual this summer.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Money is from up here. In fact, we released him at 16...

13 hours ago, Boyyou said:

Didn't make it through our academy at 16 but seems to be improving with age.

we have released/sold lots of good players over the years and ruined many a player by playing him too much too young (does anybody ever notice when l drop these in?)

l think the plan really now is to invest in the first team AND the youth set up (and the b team) to the point where they both start to pay for themselves.

Hopefully as we’ve said before, some of the players in contract like Leutwiler will be on their way,

from the Oldham Times…..

But there remains even more room for manoeuvre with existing members of the squad who have become surplus to requirements, and Latics are believed to be open to offers.

1 hour ago, oafc1955 said:

Hopefully as we’ve said before, some of the players in contract like Leutwiler will be on their way,

from the Oldham Times…..

But there remains even more room for manoeuvre with existing members of the squad who have become surplus to requirements, and Latics are believed to be open to offers.

and . . .

"The Oldham Times understands that four contracted players have also been advised to find other clubs in a combined effort to further scale back the squad while also accommodating targets for next season."

3 minutes ago, LaticMark said:

and . . .

"The Oldham Times understands that four contracted players have also been advised to find other clubs in a combined effort to further scale back the squad while also accommodating targets for next season."

Windass, Leutweiller, Burgess and either of Gardney/ McGahey i’d imagine. 

• Like 1