Summer 2023 Player Signing News & Rumours

38 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Remember the days when players appeared at 3pm on a Saturday after being signed at 12 noon and we hadn't a clue who they were due to the lack of media we have today?

That's a bit of the problem today everyone thinks they're an expert on everything because they've read some deluded nutter on social media who's reinforced their own barmy theories.

Back to football and I remember seeing we'd signed Ian Towers from Burnley on a poster on a lamp post whilst walking to the match and being excited ( albeit not having a clue who he was or if he was any good !). 😁

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bobledgersheart said:

That's a bit of the problem today everyone thinks they're an expert on everything because they've read some deluded nutter on social media who's reinforced their own barmy theories.

Back to football and I remember seeing we'd signed Ian Towers from Burnley on a poster on a lamp post whilst walking to the match and being excited ( albeit not having a clue who he was or if he was any good !). 😁

Towers lived up to the poster though, we could do with one like him now.

• Like 1

To be honest, if I were in charge, DU would not have one more penny to "invest". I`d be saying, "Right, we've honoured our side of the bargain; you've had our full support regarding signings/investment. Now please show us that you are capable of managing the squad you have put together. Please give us the winning machine and exciting flowing football you said your teams would produce."

• Like 3

1 hour ago, wiseowl said:

To be honest, if I were in charge, DU would not have one more penny to "invest". I`d be saying, "Right, we've honoured our side of the bargain; you've had our full support regarding signings/investment. Now please show us that you are capable of managing the squad you have put together. Please give us the winning machine and exciting flowing football you said your teams would produce."

They've not sorted him a proper right back and the midfield is a disgrace but theyve sorted him an army of centre backs and strikers.

He's not the only one to blame for this mess.......

1 hour ago, Shrek said:

They've not sorted him a proper right back and the midfield is a disgrace but theyve sorted him an army of centre backs and strikers.

Not a clue what you’re on about…who are ‘they’?

5 minutes ago, Shrek said:

Royle / recruitment guru

The recruitment this season has been a disgrace really 

Unsworth gives them his requirements and the recruitment team make their recommendations. I’m sure if he’d have asked for a midfield playmaker or a competent right back they would have found them.

I’m pretty sure the excessive collection of strikers and centre backs are down to Unsworth and not the recruitment personnel!!

11 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Unsworth gives them his requirements and the recruitment team make their recommendations. I’m sure if he’d have asked for a midfield playmaker or a competent right back they would have found them.

I’m pretty sure the excessive collection of strikers and centre backs are down to Unsworth and not the recruitment personnel!!

We've been told that the manager doesn't make the call solely on transfers. He clearly wanted a right back and they've not planned the signings well. Raglan and Norwood are good signings but they've caused issues as their positions have cover / new signings already in place. It's a mess.

35 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Thought he said he uses a computer football software programme as he can tick all the required boxes?

Also recommended young players won't be signed if the manager prefers experience.

Edited by BP1960

3 hours ago, Shrek said:

Agree to a certain extent. Part of the problem of having numerous people involved in the recruitment is that it's easy to shirk responsibility when it doesn't go to plan. I don't think it's been a disgrace though although I have described it as scatter gun which is probably giving them a bit of an easy time. Norwood and Raglan clearly weren't in the plans and whilst you don't turn the opportunity to sign Norwood down, I do think it creates problems when you decide to go away from the planned signings. It has meant the squad seems unbalanced and probably finding it difficult to keep players happy with the end result we have 4 strikers on the bench just so they are involved in the matchday squad. Who takes the blame for this we will probably never know but it does highlight that the issue of getting rid of Unsworth is not as simple as would seem. Doesn't excuse Unsworth btw, he's certainly not getting enough out of what he has available.

33 minutes ago, PeteG said:

Agree to a certain extent. Part of the problem of having numerous people involved in the recruitment is that it's easy to shirk responsibility when it doesn't go to plan. I don't think it's been a disgrace though although I have described it as scatter gun which is probably giving them a bit of an easy time. Norwood and Raglan clearly weren't in the plans and whilst you don't turn the opportunity to sign Norwood down, I do think it creates problems when you decide to go away from the planned signings. It has meant the squad seems unbalanced and probably finding it difficult to keep players happy with the end result we have 4 strikers on the bench just so they are involved in the matchday squad. Who takes the blame for this we will probably never know but it does highlight that the issue of getting rid of Unsworth is not as simple as would seem. Doesn't excuse Unsworth btw, he's certainly not getting enough out of what he has available.

Unsworth is to blame for the 4 strikers on the bench. No need, shows he has no plan on changes.

Edited by Shrek