Summer 2023 Player Signing News & Rumours

19 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

What makes them more qualified is that they are privy to all the information inside the club that we don't have. They will know what relationship the Manager has with the players what's going on on the training ground, how much we actually spent on recruitment this summer, and what challenges we faced when dealing with players and agents. They will be privy to other things such as the levels of fitness if players in the squad that we don't know about.

As fans while we aren't stupid and have a level of understanding of what's going on. We can all see and understand that so far things haven't been good enough, We only have part of the information. The board will have all of it and from that they have to make the right decision for the club.

Not sure Brian Clough would have agreed with your view if applied to club boards generally, and he wasn’t a bad manager for most of his career!

12 hours ago, deyres42 said:

The squad is so strong it should be light work for any competent manager, isn't that what people are saying?

I don’t think people are saying that. We are 22nd in the table and 23rd on playing record. People are saying that DU does not have what it takes to turn this form around.

13 hours ago, deyres42 said:

There has to be a guarantee though surely, given the strength of the playing staff.

If they are unable to propel us up the table straight away then do they have to face the sack as well?

In my opinion, yes they absolutely do.

The moment you sign a player like Norwood at this level on top of what is otherwise good recruitment and on the back of a team moving slowly but steadily in the right direction at the back end of last season, it's not unfair to say that being in the playoff picture throughout the season is a minimum expectation.

Unsworth is well below that level and the way he sets his team up doesn't give any hope that things will improve.  If we were to go for a short term manager who has had success at this level before I'm as certain as can possibly be that there will be an upsurge in form in the next 15 games.

If we are looking at a medium/long term building of the club (say 2 to 3 years or more), then Pete Wild would be the perfect replacement and one that everyone could get behind, but with the way we've built the squad for short term success I would still expect a competent manager to get us to the playoffs this season if we made the change now.

Of course there are no absolute guarantees in life, although your dislike of the fanbase and contrary nature is as close as you're likely to get to it.

55 minutes ago, 100milesaway said:

Yep, well earned.  I like him a lot, no frills, but always pulls his tripe out for the team.

Possibly the fittest player on the books. Never seems to run out of steam despite covering miles every game.  There are more technically gifted, but I like Sheron's attitude.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Boyyou said:

Possibly the fittest player on the books. Never seems to run out of steam despite covering miles every game.  There are more technically gifted, but I like Sheron's attitude.

Totally agree and doesn't he look an even better player for playing 20 yards further up the pitch and hunting the ball down instead of sitting on the centrehalves toes, struggles with a pass but he does a lot of the work in there that allows others to play.

2 hours ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Get sway too much stick from certain quarters because he doesn't play a glorious 30 yard cross field pass to assist a goal a game. Does what he does very well. Every single team (bar about 5) has a player like that throughout every league. It's needed

Which 5 don’t? The top 5?

10 hours ago, LightDN123 said:

He’s average, runs a lot so Oldham fans love him. 

And tackles.  Scores the odd goal.

Oldham fans also love to slate a player who doesn't shirk, gets involved more than most and in doing so makes the odd mistake.  The same group probably love a player who is relatively anonymous, but doesn't make a mistake, so therefore is "better".

Gardner used to get similar criticism....until he's not in the team and then everyone says we miss him!

4 minutes ago, JoeP said:

And tackles.  Scores the odd goal.

Oldham fans also love to slate a player who doesn't shirk, gets involved more than most and in doing so makes the odd mistake.  The same group probably love a player who is relatively anonymous, but doesn't make a mistake, so therefore is "better".

Gardner used to get similar criticism....until he's not in the team and then everyone says we miss him!

I prefer a cm who can pass the ball and doesn’t need to run loads every game because they read the game 

7 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

I prefer a cm who can pass the ball and doesn’t need to run loads every game because they read the game 

Shez never ran much, even when younger but those around him did.

Im no lover of Sheron but every team needs a player that does the dirty work most fans dont see.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, LightDN123 said:

He’s average, runs a lot so Oldham fans love him. 

He's not average, he's probably been our most consistent player over the past 12 months. He can also play anywhere across the backline as well as in his favoured defensive midfield role he is currently playing in. He's as fit and strong as anyone on the books and his only real weakness to me his his passing ability, when he keeps that simple he's an asset to us.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, LightDN123 said:

But whatabout getting that passing midfielder the ball? Sheron to me is the type of player who does the dirty work abd allows the better players to play.

He won players player of the season last year so I'm guessing the other players appreciate the work he does.

• Like 3