Summer 2023 Player Signing News & Rumours

5 hours ago, League one forever said:

5PM saying he’s close to a few more signings, and intimidated that people will see the quality they’re trying to bring in. (Which following on from Conlon implies they won’t come cheap) 

Blows my ‘no budget left until summer’  theory right out of the window. The backing of Frank and his family continues to surprise and delight me. 

Yeah this is what I took from it, implying they will be real quality signings and said there would be a few of them.

Stockton and Norwood (while I’m not sure how well it would/will work) is a frightening partnership for the NL if that was to come off. Half of L1 would take that as their forward line.

I’m sure a couple of players will end up leaving to free up at least some of the wage budget.

Exciting times though.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, aaronoafc said:

Yeah this is what I took from it, implying they will be real quality signings and said there would be a few of them.

Stockton and Norwood (while I’m not sure how well it would/will work) is a frightening partnership for the NL if that was to come off. Half of L1 would take that as their forward line.

I’m sure a couple of players will end up leaving to free up at least some of the wage budget.

Exciting times though.

I do get the sense that this manager is believable,  and not just parroting a script. Time will tell, but at least we will know in next week or so.

Looking forward to some fresher faces in the squad,  playing higher up the pitch with the ball And controlling possession at home.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ogdenwoodwhittle said:

I do get the sense that this manager is believable,  and not just parroting a script. Time will tell, but at least we will know in next week or so.

Looking forward to some fresher faces in the squad,  playing higher up the pitch with the ball And controlling possession at home.

It’s been a while!!

20 minutes ago, aaronoafc said:

I don’t know now mate, I think if that was the case - Conlon and similar of his ilk aren’t signing. 

We have about 5 or 6 out of contract in the summer- and I think the board might have said you can sign this season the amount you’ll release in the summer- and we’ll carry the extra wages for 6 months. 

41 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

If we signed Jermaine Darlington to play alongside Stockton, it might just keep our promotion push on the right track.

Bartram Laidlaw Crewe is just the type of health conscious nutritionist player we need...

Bs5F_jqCIAA25SH.png.3be8942531eb8c7db65be4d9629e3611.png

Edited by L1onheartNew
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Ogdenwoodwhittle said:

All aboard the promotion train...

2 hours ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

If we signed Jermaine Darlington to play alongside Stockton, it might just keep our promotion push on the right track.

The fact that despite it being home to the first railway in the world, it is now a crap line and you can't even get a direct train between the 2 towns is a bit of a metaphor for the football club.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

And if we could get Luca Stephenson on loan from Liverpool it would put a rocket up our midfield. 

Edited by astottie
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, astottie said:

And if we could get Luca Stephenson on loan from Liverpool it would put a rocket up our midfield. 

Unfortunately there's always a signalman or a boulder on the track whenever our train starts to gather pace.

And I use the term pace very loosely.

Edited by L1onheartNew

2 hours ago, aaronoafc said:

IMG_9246.png

He should piss it at this level.

Reading up on him though, it sounds like he's one of those strikers that unless you play the way that suits him, he's almost useless. Questionable attitude has been mentioned a couple of times (he refused to play at Morecambe at one point) and apparently on big money at Burton too (for them anyway).

His main season was the 21/22 season where he scored consistently in league 1 netting 23 goals in 44 games. The 22/23 season he scored 7 of his 11 goals in his last 4 appearances after not doing much at all in his previous 32 appearances.

Missed a lot of this season at Burton through injury but done nothing of note in the 10 appearances he has made.

Edited by Gaz_Oafc

1 minute ago, steveecky said:

Stockton could be the next Nuttall, cost lots for little reward. Sooner we spent money on two full backs to better cover those positions

Yep, need to sort out right side of the pitch first plus at least 1 midfielder. Conlon might make us tick (not on long enough to judge yesterday)but we're also lacking a powerful type like the no 4 of Hendon who was light years better than any of ours yesterday. (It's scandalous that a part-timer from that level does that)!

17 minutes ago, steveecky said:

Stockton could be the next Nuttall, cost lots for little reward. Sooner we spent money on two full backs to better cover those positions

I wouldn’t trust Unsworth full stop but I would definitely trust MM if he says he wants Stockton. 
I still don’t think we have the right partner for Norwood and could be what MM is thinking.

He’s from Huyton so if he wants to be nearer his roots instead of going down to Stevenage or Charlton I think we will have a very good chance.

I wouldn’t worry too much about FB’s because I’m sure MM will have targeted one or two, especially after yesterday’s debacle!