Summer 2023 Player Signing News & Rumours

14 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

If we’re committed to paying him £2.5k+ a week we might as well accept £800 per week wouldn’t you think?…..especially if as expected, there is no intention of playing him anytime over the next 17 months!

He's on more...

1 hour ago, GKing521 said:

He's on more...

I've heard all sorts of figures up to about the 4k mark which is a massive problem given teams would likely see his wages at about a quarter of that and that's before you factor in the transfer fee we paid for him. I know Fylde have looked at a couple of our players but these players aren't going to give up these contracts for £800  a week which is about what Fylde are willing to pay.

I'm not slagging the players off by the way, you hear some saying I'd want to be playing and all that but nobody wants to take a pay cut like that. We may have to subsidise these players wages for 12 months if it means we can recover something from the situation.

Edited by yarddog73

45 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

I'm not slagging the players off by the way, you hear some saying I'd want to be playing and all that but nobody wants to take a pay cut like that. We may have to subsidise these players wages for 12 months if it means we can recover something from the situation.

Exactly, it's not the players fault. And it's totally up to them if they'd rather see out a higher contract not playing, rather than lower wages and regular football. It's easy for fans to say they wouldn't do that but in reality with mortgages and families etc you can't blame them for wanting to be paid contracts they've been offered.

If they club have overpaid for someone then it should be a lesson learned and they just have to deal with the cost of it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

I've heard all sorts of figures up to about the 4k mark which is a massive problem given teams would likely see his wages at about a quarter of that and that's before you factor in the transfer fee we paid for him. I know Fylde have looked at a couple of our players but these players aren't going to give up these contracts for £800  a week which is about what Fylde are willing to pay.

If we aren’t playing him and have no intention to do so then we might as well do a deal. If a club is willing to pay him £800 a week we knock the equivalent £800 a week off his settlement. Or we do a loan deal until the end of next season and continue paying his salary less £800?

We would take a huge hit but still be saving £50k over the 17 months left on his contract.

If we offer him a lump sum he might take a little less which would effectively save us more and surely It would be better than him sitting on his arse here for 17 months and being generally a ‘bad egg’ around the place?

5 minutes ago, GKing521 said:

I have heard on extremely good authority that he’s on 3.5k

Well if true the remainder of his contact is worth almost £250k….FFS, that is staggering….we should be getting in touch with Unsworth for a contribution!!😡

Some work out others don't.  I would be gob smacked if somehow Nuttall was playing like a world beater at Scunthorpe to deserve such a deal offer but his goal record there was decent. Just so odd he gets here and is complete shite.

Edited by Lags

Just now, Lags said:

Some work out others don't.  I would be gob smacked if somehow Nuttall was playing like a world beater at Scunthorpe to deserve such a deal offer but his goal record there was decent. Just so odd he gets here is complete shite.

Weren't many if his goals just before we signed him from penalties?

13 minutes ago, Lags said:

Some work out others don't.  I would be gob smacked if somehow Nuttall was playing like a world beater at Scunthorpe to deserve such a deal offer but his goal record there was decent. Just so odd he gets here and is complete shite.

19 in 104 before he joined us, less than 1 in 5. That record alone wouldn’t warrant paying £100k and £3.5k a week unless he was pretty outstanding…..which he is not!😂😂

Off the top of my head £ for £ I can’t think of a worse signing and I include David Currie & record signing Ian Olney too!

3 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

19 in 104 before he joined us, less than 1 in 5. That record alone wouldn’t warrant paying £100k and £3.5k a week unless he was pretty outstanding…..which he is not!😂😂

Off the top of my head £ for £ I can’t think of a worse signing and I include David Currie & record signing Ian Olney too!

Ian Olney got a lot of unfair stick

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Ian Olney got a lot of unfair stick

Very unlucky was Olney. 13 goals in 39 games in his first Latics season before a serious knee injury. Spent 3 years trying to  get back to full fitness but forced to retire at 28. 

• Like 5

48 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Joe Garner mentioned…hope not he’s 35!!

If it is him surely a short term solution and makes Fondop redundant as I’m sure despite Garner being 5”11 was a target man and won loads in the air in years gone by but that may have changed. 

45 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

I'm quietly confident that Ian Olney is our record Premier League scorer.

He wasn't a bad signing but when your record transfer fee doesn't play 2 seasons due to a career ending injury he gets stick.

Think I heard a story about David Currie and his eventual transfer to us on the Under the cosh podcast. Fell out big time with Brian Clough.

1 hour ago, oafc1955 said:

Queensy Menig 4 games 1 goal and over £500k outlay in wages that is the worst signing in the clubs history in terms of value for money.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Queensy Menig 4 games 1 goal and over £500k outlay in wages that is the worst signing in the clubs history in terms of value for money.

You’re right….but I don’t recognise that period in our history!!😂😂

• Like 1