Southend Away

6 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

How is he going to pay the tax bill and pay to run a club in that short time must be a concern.

There must be parties who could rescue the club like a local Frank?

I hope so. How the Chairman squirmed out of that without paying the tax bill is, well ... 

A 42 day adjournment is what he wanted, and he got it. The fiasco descends to new depths.

I still get to wear my colours, for the moment at least.

However, on the pitch, there is still six points up for grabs between Southend and Oldham, so bring it on :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Glossop Shrimper said:

I hope so. How the Chairman squirmed out of that without paying the tax bill is, well ... 

A 42 day adjournment is what he wanted, and he got it. The fiasco descends to new depths.

I still get to wear my colours, for the moment at least.

However, on the pitch, there is still six points up for grabs between Southend and Oldham, so bring it on :)

Is there tho? At this moment in time i dont see how southend start the season

No proof you can fulfill it in its entirity, no squad to field. 

I hope im wrong but i dont see how the NL let you continue

35 minutes ago, philliggi said:

Don't  think they can play until medical insurance has been paid.

18 minutes ago, philliggi said:

Agree. 

You and I understand adversity, and where there is adversity there is hope. Perhaps strenuous but as a fan, any fan, hope sometimes prevails.

Under the same Chairman, pre season to our 2010 FL2 campaign we had 5 registered players and no manager.  So desparate we'd have signed Mr.Blobby if he could kick a ball. Paul Sturrock joined us days before our first game against Stockport. A rank and file team of new signings and academy players also started the game. We drew 1-1 thanks to an injury time equaliser scored almost poetically by his son Blair. We stayed up that season.  Father and son firmly entrenched in Shrimper folklore.

I guess come August if we have to play the kids to make a team, we will.

Do he NL want to eject another team? Sentiment only, I hope not. The NL may start to look like a graveyard for culling teams. As of today, if the courts can give leeway to the Chairman to carry on, we can get a team onto the pitch.

• Like 1

Very sad to see this and I guess the NL meeting tomorrow is now far more important than the court hearing.

I think the NL will basically say Southend must start the season (and obviously to do that will need certain things like medical cover etc) or they’re thrown out. If they just allow the Shrimpers to delay the start of the season whilst they sort themselves out that would surely dilute the credibility and integrity of the league?

In many ways this may be the best ruling for the fans as it would hopefully force their dickhead owner to make a deal with someone to ensure they start the season…otherwise he has nothing to bargain with (although he may not care)

I am a little surprised, having read a lot of their fans forum today, that they don’t seem to have had the same level of fan organisation and “pressure groups” that we had with the Athleticos, PTB and BPAS etc as well as help from others like the Blackpool supporters group 

Can't help feeling that a takeover will go through on the 23rd of August at 11:59pm. It seems this going to be dragged out for the maximum period of time.

I do wonder in instances like this if the The FA/EFL/NL could effectively step in and seize the club from the owner at time like this, be temporary owner for a period of say no more than 3 months then effectively auction the club off. It would just stop bad owners from dragging out the process. Although I'm not sure of the legalities of stuff like this and how it would fit into UK corporate law.

Edited by GlossopLatic

40 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Can't help feeling that a takeover will go through on the 23rd of August at 11:59pm. It seems this going to be dragged out for the maximum period of time.

I do wonder in instances like this if the The FA/EFL/NL could effectively step in and seize the club from the owner at time like this, be temporary owner for a period of say no more than 3 months then effectively auction the club off. It would just stop bad owners from dragging out the process. Although I'm not sure of the legalities of stuff like this and how it would fit into UK corporate law.

That’s pretty much the Administration law so it can be done but it would need a complete change of EFL or NL membership rules and owners agreements…..but I do agree, this kind of crazy ownership can’t go on 

8 hours ago, Ritchierich said:

That’s pretty much the Administration law so it can be done but it would need a complete change of EFL or NL membership rules and owners agreements…..but I do agree, this kind of crazy ownership can’t go on 

The issue with Administrators trading a football club is that Administrators should only trade the company if it’s at a benefit to creditors, i.e they are able to generate a trading surplus, given football clubs run at a huge loss this not realistic. 

Alternatively the Administrators could trade the company at a loss if they believe the continued trade would yield a larger sale price. Obviously this comes with the usual risks of any sale agreement. 

If the EFL/NL/FA did take over for a period of 3 months who would fund this period and what happens if a sale is not agreed in that period ? Not a realistic solution to me. 

• Like 2

Statement from the chairman, Ron Martin:

”For complete transparency following my statement in March, my intention has never been to make money out of the sale of Southend United. In addition, I have no intention of seeking the return of my substantial investment in the Club over the last 25 years. The terms for the sale of the Club are:

• Share purchase 70.6% for £1
  • 3 years rent free at Roots Hall unless the club gets promoted in which case, we would charge 50% of the rent under the lease.”

🤔

10 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

I don't really follow it, but isn't that what's been happening in Rugby Union? And I feel like broadly speaking it has gone terribly?

23 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

The only body that could do this would be the High Court, because what you are describing there is essentially the role of a Receiver. It's effectively what happened at Blackpool after Oyston failed to meet the schedule of payments stipulated by the Court.

The leverage that the NL have is to chuck Southend out of the league, or penalise them with a heavy fine (unlikely, as they won't pay it) or a points deduction. 

If we had an independent regulator this could be addressed via licensing conditions. But we haven't.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, disjointed said:

Which is worrying, It's supposed to be a football pitch not a fucking wedding cake. 

Looks like the wedding guests have been on the mower at the reception.

I now pronounce you Bury'd 

The fit and proper process needs to be completely overhauled. I have no idea how, but it needs to involve annual solvency tests in some form or other.

11th hour reprieves are becoming the norm rather than the exception.

Does anyone still think this match is happening and if it does, will anyone still get down to it given the late notice and zero information from the club (or anyone for that matter)?

(and yes, I realise this pales into insignificance when compared with SUFC possible demise but the crazy thing is there could have been an extra £20k in their coffers from Latics fans alone)

1 hour ago, Ritchierich said:

Does anyone still think this match is happening and if it does, will anyone still get down to it given the late notice and zero information from the club (or anyone for that matter)?

(and yes, I realise this pales into insignificance when compared with SUFC possible demise but the crazy thing is there could have been an extra £20k in their coffers from Latics fans alone)

The extra £20k is pretty irrelevant if they can't field a team.  I'll be there if it's on as it's my nearest game.  Can't think of any information we can reasonably expect from the club.