Can we afford it?

or, can we afford to go up? I know a bit random question

Sustainability and club being self-sufficient were early words used when the take over happened

We got our last parachute payment this season to help cushion the blow of relegation.

I have I missed any new directors to the board with good skillsets/business owners that can help drive sustainability?

Does anyone know if OASF have seen FULL club accounts for year ending July just gone, so we have a snapshot of Rothwells first year in charge?

Edited by underdog

13 minutes ago, underdog said:

or, can we afford to go up? I know a bit random question

Sustainability and club being self-sufficient were early words used when the take over happened

We got our last parachute payment this season to help cushion the blow of relegation.

I have I missed any new directors to the board with good skillsets/business owners that can help drive sustainability?

Does anyone know if OASF have seen FULL club accounts for year ending July just gone, so we have a snapshot of Rothwells first year in charge?

Can't imagine accounts to July will have been signed off yet

15 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Can't imagine accounts to July will have been signed off yet

now my brain has engaged, you are probably right it was about Oct/Nov when when OASF struggled to get Philippa in

and I recall OASF Director Andrew Jones seeing them in his brief directorship before he resigned Octoberish and OASF published a statement about the accoubts at the time

1 hour ago, nzlatic said:

Would the deadline for submission be end of April 2024?

Yep.  Always bear in mind when looking at Companies House that it is a national disgrace and a very long way from being fit for purpose.  Everything on there is nodded through with zero checks. One recent example would be the one director company that was set up with initial capital of roughly double the GDP of the USA, while we are the only developed economy that doesn't insist on Companies using the domestic language - so one very obvious scam enterprise has a name in Romanian which translates as 'F*ck Up The *rse Limited'.  

Edited by Dave_Og
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, deyres42 said:

Well over 100 points still to play for but the season has nearly sailed? Not hysterical at all...

However deyres, you have to admit we would have to win every one of those hundred point to equal the final points tally of the second placed Notts County last year.

So, as we are unlikely to do that even if we suddenly improve and do well from now till the end of the season, we already have to feel we will be well below 100 points at the end. Another 3 or 4 poor results and that drops to below 90, again only with a long consistent brilliant run.

The season really has nearly sailed. Things have to get better now and remain good for the rest of the season. Can DU do that?

8 minutes ago, Pidge said:

However deyres, you have to admit we would have to win every one of those hundred point to equal the final points tally of the second placed Notts County last year.

So, as we are unlikely to do that even if we suddenly improve and do well from now till the end of the season, we already have to feel we will be well below 100 points at the end. Another 3 or 4 poor results and that drops to below 90, again only with a long consistent brilliant run.

The season really has nearly sailed. Things have to get better now and remain good for the rest of the season. Can DU do that?

I would suggest it will be a long time before the points tallies of the top two last season are repeated.

70 points should get in the playoff conversation.

9 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Not really. Don't make out you know what they have or haven't budgeted for. You, like everyone else here, has no idea 

I bet they didn't budget on what they got and on what they've had to lay out

to get to where we are after 12 month's, nowhere!

7 hours ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

I bet they didn't budget on what they got and on what they've had to lay out

to get to where we are after 12 month's, nowhere!

Makes you wonder why they didn't stick with Shez if there was no rush to get back up, if they'd have given him an ounce of backing I bet you he'd of had us play offs minimum last season and that appears now to be the aim for Unsworth 2 years in.

I suppose a worry is with the way Unsworth was brought in, it was undoubtedly done in an underhand fashion, do you have confidence in Royle being the right man to fill this key role?, he is obviously a bad judge and you'd struggle to trust him to make the right appointment even when the inevitable happens. I'd take this footballing decision out of his hands and entrust to someone with better judgement and no ulterior motive.

No way on earth was this the plan this season, it makes no sense bringing Norwood in to the fold if the plan wasn't an all out promotion push, 33 year old striker on the best wage in the division isn't here for the project he's here to win medals and I wouldn't be surprised if he wanted out already.

• Like 6

41 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Makes you wonder why they didn't stick with Shez if there was no rush to get back up, if they'd have given him an ounce of backing I bet you he'd of had us play offs minimum last season and that appears now to be the aim for Unsworth 2 years in.

I suppose a worry is with the way Unsworth was brought in, it was undoubtedly done in an underhand fashion, do you have confidence in Royle being the right man to fill this key role?, he is obviously a bad judge and you'd struggle to trust him to make the right appointment even when the inevitable happens. I'd take this footballing decision out of his hands and entrust to someone with better judgement and no ulterior motive.

No way on earth was this the plan this season, it makes no sense bringing Norwood in to the fold if the plan wasn't an all out promotion push, 33 year old striker on the best wage in the division isn't here for the project he's here to win medals and I wouldn't be surprised if he wanted out already.

Not sure what is funnier, the idea Sheri takes a team to the top end of the table or the CEO being a bad judge based on one appointment.

Keep 'em coming Faz 🤣🤣

32 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Shez had valuable experience of managing this club at a higher level, something I don't think is ever going to happen for Mr Unsworth, no matter how much he's likely to spend for the remainder of his tenure.

The highly expensive plan has fallen short at the first hurdle and everyone's paying the price.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, deyres42 said:

Not sure what is funnier, the idea Sheri takes a team to the top end of the table or the CEO being a bad judge based on one appointment.

Keep 'em coming Faz 🤣🤣

Shezasourous would have done plenty more with the money that Unsworths spunked that's for sure. He wouldn't be fighting off relegation 12 months on I'm certain of that.

As for the CEO he's committed the cardinal sin mixing business with pleasure, I suspect he knows he's backed a dud but like Unsworth can't see the wood for the trees.

4 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Some companies change the CEO if results decline, or is it different in football?

18 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Some companies change the CEO if results decline, or is it different in football?

I'm not advocating a change in the CEO, we have much to be thankful for with regards to Darren's involvement, I still don't feel he should be free from scrutiny though and some important lessons have hopefully been learnt along the way.

FWIW, I can agree with the Norwood comment. He surely must be kicking himself and angry for being drawn in by Unsworth's spiel. Then again, he's in the latter stages of his career and could be happy to take the money. Let's face it, he's under no pressure from the fans because it's there to be seen that Unsworth's set-up does not supply him with the service he requires to score goals.

Absolute waste of the guy's talent and the fans have also been hoodwinked. Again.

1 minute ago, Wardie said:

FWIW, I can agree with the Norwood comment. He surely must be kicking himself and angry for being drawn in by Unsworth's spiel. Then again, he's in the latter stages of his career and could be happy to take the money. Let's face it, he's under no pressure from the fans because it's there to be seen that Unsworth's set-up does not supply him with the service he requires to score goals.

Absolute waste of the guy's talent and the fans have also been hoodwinked. Again.

Hasn't been much evidence of his talent so far, seems to do a lot of pointing and that's it, maybe his teammates are seeing what he is earning and asking what they are getting from him in return?