Can we afford it?

I'm beginning to think Unsworth is here because we can't afford to get rid of him which for me solidifies my opinion that he comes to work every day without any real pressure to become better, it's almost become the David Unsworth show.

We've got plenty of money men on the board (although you see very little of some of then these days) and they must be discussing the financial side of keeping Unsworth employed in a job he is clearly out of his depth to do, pay on the day fans is what will keep this club going and on that basis it's important, particularly at home to provide some entertainment and along with that a winning team, looking at home crowds minus away followings this season they are following a worrying trend;

Aldershot 7342

Halifax 7186

Solihull 6690

Dorking 6219

Saturday was a glorious day with no local matches higher up the pyramid due to the International break so we probably attracted a few floating fans through the gate on that number, if we say that the club already have the money from 4000 of us pay on the day revenue as dropped by about a third and over 1000 in a matter of weeks, that's got to be a huge worry moving in to the Autumn when the weather at BP will be less kind, I predict crowds will be around 5500 for the visit of Oxford in a week or two which is criminal really.

When does this become more a decision about the clubs sustainability rather than a Darren Royle vanity project? Is he stumping up the shortfall to support his mate because this incompetence will have serious implications on the clubs finances as we move forward. 

Finally what's happened about listening to the fans and giving them their club back? This whole episode is now leaving a bad taste to me because frankly that's just bullshit and we now have a problem where the board are creating a situation that appears to leave them so out of touch with 95% of the fan base with no obvious reasoning for  keep Unsworth in charge, I haven't spoke to one fan who wants him so for me it is just stupidity keeping him in a job. 

Personally as a minimum they should be asking him to stay at home on gardening leave and replacing him, even if it is with Murray and Adams initially because we just cant continue hemorrhaging money at the rate we are, they were happy to do that with a number of players and write off dead money that had been badly spent under his watch.

It's a fucking mess and needs sorting sharpish before the crowds drop to around 5000 that in my opinion would be negligent on the boards/owners part.

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

I'm beginning to think Unsworth is here because we can't afford to get rid of him which for me solidifies my opinion that he comes to work every day without any real pressure to become better, it's almost become the David Unsworth show.

We've got plenty of money men on the board (although you see very little of some of then these days) and they must be discussing the financial side of keeping Unsworth employed in a job he is clearly out of his depth to do, pay on the day fans is what will keep this club going and on that basis it's important, particularly at home to provide some entertainment and along with that a winning team, looking at home crowds minus away followings this season they are following a worrying trend;

Aldershot 7342

Halifax 7186

Solihull 6690

Dorking 6219

Saturday was a glorious day with no local matches higher up the pyramid due to the International break so we probably attracted a few floating fans through the gate on that number, if we say that the club already have the money from 4000 of us pay on the day revenue as dropped by about a third and over 1000 in a matter of weeks, that's got to be a huge worry moving in to the Autumn when the weather at BP will be less kind, I predict crowds will be around 5500 for the visit of Oxford in a week or two which is criminal really.

When does this become more a decision about the clubs sustainability rather than a Darren Royle vanity project? Is he stumping up the shortfall to support his mate because this incompetence will have serious implications on the clubs finances as we move forward. 

Finally what's happened about listening to the fans and giving them their club back? This whole episode is now leaving a bad taste to me because frankly that's just bullshit and we now have a problem where the board are creating a situation that appears to leave them so out of touch with 95% of the fan base with no obvious reasoning for  keep Unsworth in charge, I haven't spoke to one fan who wants him so for me it is just stupidity keeping him in a job. 

Personally as a minimum they should be asking him to stay at home on gardening leave and replacing him, even if it is with Murray and Adams initially because we just cant continue hemorrhaging money at the rate we are, they were happy to do that with a number of players and write off dead money that had been badly spent under his watch.

It's a fucking mess and needs sorting sharpish before the crowds drop to around 5000 that in my opinion would be negligent on the boards/owners part.

Simple answer is Yes we can or we end up losing far more in lost gate revenue.

21 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Aldershot 7342

Halifax 7186

Solihull 6690

Dorking 6219

I am thinking similar…….

With a good start to the season I was expecting 7k+ as an average. 

Last weeks crowd was at least 1k down on what I expected….kids are back at school and the summer holidays are over, It was also an absolutely beautiful day…..the ground should have been rammed!! 

A 1k deficit for the rest of the season at say an average of £15 a ticket equates to £300k, that’s without factoring in bar spend. 

If this form continues it may well drop a lot further and could equal nearer £500k!! 

Paying Unsworth & Ebbrell off won’t be cheap but keeping them on could cost a hell of a lot more in the long run. 

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

Aldershot 7342

Halifax 7186

Solihull 6690

Dorking 6219

It’s quite alarming looking at the drop in the gates, over a 1000 since Aldershot. That’s 15% or thereabouts of the fans gone in a month . I know it can fluctuate but there’s no denying that drop in numbers. A good set of results and there’d have been 8000 there on Saturday . 

Aldershot 7342

Halifax 7186

Solihull 6690

Dorking 6219

Wibble.

Aldershot 7342

Halifax 7186

Solihull 6690

Dorking 6219

Yard dog! The actual attendance on Saturday was less than 4500. The official figures you quoted include no-shows ie season cardholders and match day tickets.

I thought there was some form of loan (correct me on the right term) to the tune of about £5mil made available? Obviously that was for all sorts including infrastructure etc. and we've recently announced plans to completely renovate little wembley and work already underway to upgrade chapel lane.

I'm not having it that we can't afford to sack him, not a chance.

13 minutes ago, Gaz_Oafc said:

I thought there was some form of loan (correct me on the right term) to the tune of about £5mil made available? Obviously that was for all sorts including infrastructure etc. and we've recently announced plans to completely renovate little wembley and work already underway to upgrade chapel lane.

I'm not having it that we can't afford to sack him, not a chance.

Agreed. It's simple - they have a threshold but it hasn't been reached yet. We've all had different thresholds when it comes to thinking it's time for him to go.

It won't be because Frank is too old, or the money has run out, or the Royles are corrupt, or any other conspiracy theory bullshit.

• Like 5

Take Unsworth out for a minute. 

We’re five points off the playoffs, it’s entirely reasonable from the boards perspective to say- he’s a couple of wins from being up there again. 

I think he should go. But it’s not my money, and until the playoffs becomes 10/12 points away I can understand (but not agree with) why they’re not pulling the trigger yet. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, JohnG123 said:

A couple of wins of the play offs …… assuming all the other teams lose …….. 

Yep,  agreed John. 

Realistically he’d need 4 wins on the bounce to get up there when you take other teams into account. I’m just looking at it from the boards perspective. 

20 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Yep,  agreed John. 

Realistically he’d need 4 wins on the bounce to get up there when you take other teams into account. I’m just looking at it from the boards perspective. 

He struggled to get 1 win

This talk of winning 4 is pure fantasy 

Maybe for the rest of the season!

29 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Spending money within your budget isn't normal? OK bruv.

You know the budget now then? I'm presuming if there is a budget they planned on X amount of people coming through the turnstiles to support it or are they just happy to piss copious amounts of it down the drain whilst Dave learns on the job?, which is my point really. No way on earth they planned all this on crowds of sub 5000 because Unsworths football is shit.

3 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

You know the budget now then? I'm presuming if there is a budget they planned on X amount of people coming through the turnstiles to support it or are they just happy to piss copious amounts of it down the drain whilst Dave learns on the job?, which is my point really. No way on earth they planned all this on crowds of sub 5000 because Unsworths football is shit.

Yeah, they probably thought fans might be a bit more grateful and supportive given they rescued the club from the brink and continue to fund it...

Just now, deyres42 said:

Yeah, they probably thought fans might be a bit more grateful and supportive given they rescued the club from the brink and continue to fund it...

They then woke up and realised they'd bought a fucking football club, strange world innit.

Fans have been supportive as far as I can see, if i was paying on the day and bringing the family along and spunking the best part of £100 on a day out I'd be questioning my sanity based on those home performances. It's shite, nothing you say will change that and unfortunately in this game crowds are influenced by results, our results are shite, blame who you want but ultimately the owners will have to decide what they feel is best for the club.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

They are grateful and the board know it, but the plan sometimes needs tweaking as it clearly does now. Paying fans can’t be criticised for being unhappy with the product on the pitch. There has been literally no improvement since DU arrived a year ago. That in itself is enough justification for fans to voice their concerns. 

• Like 1