The Next Oldham Manager

3 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Hope we don't fall into the trap we did in 2017 when Wellens won a few games as caretaker manager.   

Someone involved in football said to me that we should be aiming to get a young "head coach" in (such as Johnson in 2013) to work with Thompson being assistant...

Do that once we're back in the league above.

Meantime we need an organiser/motivator to get us out of this one. 

There'll be foundations and a winning culture then for a more progressive head coach to build on while there's already a habit of winning matches.

The post I saw on twitter about someone who looked like Clemence being walked around the pitch had a response to it saying he was in London. 

Sounds like someone thinking someone looks vaguely like someone from a distance and it being taken as gospel.

31 minutes ago, oafcmetty said:

I'm not sure it's even that. Someone has pieced together an article from the bookies list, Clemence's wikipedia page and our statement from the weekend!

Would the likes of Clarke or the Cowleys drop down out the league? Managing in league 1 at pompey and Vale not so long ago to non league next gig? Leam Richardson was at Wigan in the championship after winning the league last job next job non league with Oldham bit of a drop off when they'll be league jobs up for grabs soon. We'll either end up with someone who manages at the level now or a newbie making his way in the game.

The lowest priced really manager experienced at this level is Stuart Maynard, currently at Wealdstone.  Can't be having that. Spent almost his entire playing and coaching career within about a 20 mile radius and I can't see anything in there that smacks of meriting a go with us

20 minutes ago, LaticsLen said:

Would the likes of Clarke or the Cowleys drop down out the league? Managing in league 1 at pompey and Vale not so long ago to non league next gig? Leam Richardson was at Wigan in the championship after winning the league last job next job non league with Oldham bit of a drop off when they'll be league jobs up for grabs soon. We'll either end up with someone who manages at the level now or a newbie making his way in the game.

If u have a bit of vision we are a good option for back to back promotions and that would equate to stock rising super high for poss championship jobs so yeah I few would def back themselves to deliver and drop down 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Careca9 said:

If u have a bit of vision we are a good option for back to back promotions and that would equate to stock rising super high for poss championship jobs so yeah I few would def back themselves to deliver and drop down 

Completely agree. Biased and rose tinted specs and all that, but this is such a good opportunity for the right manager. 6 points off the play offs despite a rotten start to the season and I maintain this league is as weak as it is ever likely to be. It's a golden opportunity for someone to come in, take us from 19th in the NL to promotion to L2 along with a day out winning the FA Trophy.

We've got a good squad, big budget, great board and brilliant fans. If an out of work manager, or the likes of Mike Williamson, doesn't see that as a brilliant opportunity and thinks it's too risky for their reputation, we don't want them anyway.     

• Like 2

I think it's a good opportunity BUT should a league 1 manager fail here they'll likely be done as a prospect. People linked Darren Moore with York, he's now at Huddersfield. I don't think we'll be as inundated as we think from those who've done well at lg1 higher level.

2 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

Clemence will give us a 20minute window to get promoted in one week or he's gettin boooooo'd.

Big Dunc wouldnt even get 20mins.

l wouldnt join in but ld agree.

A double team of Big Dunc and Scott Brown might toughen up a few but saying that we might be playing with 9 players a game 🤣

3 minutes ago, Lukers1 said:

The more I see Thompson and Muzza on  the touch line the clubs in safe hands on the playing side.

If the results come I’m sure we’d all be happy with that combination.

No thanks. 

We need a manager with a system and experience of winning things. We don't have time for learning on the job. These easy games will look great on any record but we need a manager who knows they can get going when things are tough.

44 minutes ago, Shrek said:

No thanks. 

We need a manager with a system and experience of winning things. We don't have time for learning on the job. These easy games will look great on any record but we need a manager who knows they can get going when things are tough.

That’s a perfectly valid and well executed.

Would you feel any differently if this interim team won the next 3 on the bounce. Not only the wins but convincing performances scoring goals and not conceding.

👍

8 minutes ago, Lukers1 said:

Would you feel any differently if this interim team won the next 3 on the bounce. Not only the wins but convincing performances scoring goals and not conceding.

👍

Winning 3 or 4 on the bounce could be lucky. If York had been better in the final third we could quite easily have lost that game, however, If we continue to win and improve week on week I see no reason to change anything.

I don’t think either side needs to commit to a contract anytime soon but if it gets to that point it should be an easy decision to make one way or the other.

We have to make sure our next appointment is spot on and if it turns out to be Thompson so be it, because if it does then it will have been earned!!

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Winning 3 or 4 on the bounce could be lucky. If York had been better in the final third we could quite easily have lost that game, however, If we continue to win and improve week on week I see no reason to change anything.

I don’t think either side needs to commit to a contract anytime soon but if it gets to that point it should be an easy decision to make one way or the other.

We have to make sure our next appointment is spot on and if it turns out to be Thompson so be it, because if it does then it will have been earned!!

I agree but winning on the bounce is a rare commodity.

1 hour ago, Lukers1 said:

👍

We've made this mistake before with Wellens. New man please, but by all means keep Thompson on...

• Like 1