The Next Oldham Manager

I remember seeing his dad play against us one wet November night at Scunthorpe as a scrawny young kid ( l think Keegan might have been in the side as well - but might have got one wrong ). Which ever half it was, we gave him hell for every single minute (and by we, l mean us lot behind the goal ). He looked terrified most of the half.

I think we won 3 - 2, but again could be wrong.

1 hour ago, Boyyou said:

Jimmy Frizzell, Joe Royle, Iain Dowie, Lee Johnson had little coaching experience when they took over and did okay.

Yes, we have others similar who have been crap but there is no guarantee that an experienced manager will be a hit.

It's pot luck.

There is no certainty when choosing a manager that's true. There are managers who've never been any good. There are managers who have been good in the past but have lost that special something e.g. Nigel Adkins, Then there are those who have a chequered career, being good at some clubs and bad at others e.g. Steve Evans.

One of the biggest mistakes owners and supporters can make is not realising when a once good manager has become a busted flush. There are virtually no managers who have twenty-five years and more without ever losing "it". Unfortunately Alex Ferguson has that category almost to himself.

So it is pot luck to a large extent. I remember when you sacked Frizzell and appointed Royle thinking it a crazy decision but what did I know?. I assume Oldham supporters regard Joe as your greatest ever manager. A club can strike it lucky with a first time manager. But I'd have thought in your current situation an experienced and successful manager was the wise option. If you could get the Cowleys or perhaps David Artell then success is more likely than with Stephen Clemence.

Anyway here's hoping Steve Thompson can deliver three points for you tonight!

• Like 5

On 9/16/2023 at 7:39 PM, Wardie said:

Any competent manager plying his trade at our level or above is surely going to have to drawn in by the money. Out of work, then maybe settle for less and relish the challenge. I have no idea who.

Any competent manager plying his trade at our level or above is surely going to have to drawn in by the money. Out of work, then maybe settle for less and relish the challenge. I have no idea who.

You need someone who has experience in this league and who has been scouting potential players.   Ex league players don't necessarily mean success.

We are lucky that we have millionaire brothers in charge who are fans of the club, before that it was disasterous fall from grace having owner who wasn't interested, absent and had an egotistical puppet running the gig.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Boyyou said:

Jimmy Frizzell, Joe Royle, Iain Dowie, Lee Johnson had little coaching experience when they took over and did okay.

Yes, we have others similar who have been crap but there is no guarantee that an experienced manager will be a hit.

It's pot luck.

Jimmy Frizzell, Joe Royle, Iain Dowie and Lee Johnson all arrived into an  environment they were familiar with and four promotion places available. And they were all young, recently retired and able to connect with players comfortably on understanding any issues. 
We now have 1 automatic promotion and a best of 6 nail biter.
Whichever way we move on the new coach it’s a minefield. Good ones are rare, identified by the the relentless turnover. Not least due to the small percentage of promotions.

Surely the clubs best option is someone who is familiar with this league and it’s player’s and a proven track record.
We let loose a Premier League Youth coach as a punt. I sincerely hope a lesson has been learned.   

1 minute ago, GlossopLatic said:

I wouldn't dissmiss us hiring a first time manager again if they are the best candidate and the right fit.

I can't remember any experiences manager coming here and ever being seen as even remotely as a success. Anyone?

Given the longevity of Jimmy Frizzell and Joe Royle most other managers from our lifetimes will have managed during our period of decline. Mick Wadsworth did OK. 

24 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

I wouldn't dissmiss us hiring a first time manager again if they are the best candidate and the right fit.

I can't remember any experienced manager coming here and ever being seen as even remotely as a success. Anyone?

Jack Rowley first time round

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hemel latic said:

Given the longevity of Jimmy Frizzell and Joe Royle most other managers from our lifetimes will have managed during our period of decline. Mick Wadsworth did OK. 

You could argue that our history shows with Frizzell, Royle, Dowie, Sheridan, and Johnson. The 2 former ones all doing more than the later 3 but nevertheless did well I'd say that we do better with the young hungry manager who wants to make a name for themselves. Ofcourse I wouldn't be against us signing an experienced head if the right one is available.

But the thing I want from the next manager is for them to be courageous and play courageous. Make teams worry about us, and don't worry too much about the crowd either because they will back you if you show the courage to go and try and win games regardless of style.

Be Courageous, Play Courageous. Infact I like that, I'd stick in on the dressing room wall.

2 hours ago, 100milesaway said:

No, he died 2 or 3 years ago.

Sadly died of prostate cancer after being a representative of the Prostate Cancer charity. My son and I met him at Wembley after one of Jeff Stelling’s marathon walks as one of 2 ex-international players giving us a medal, and he was a true gentleman- very pleasant and just an ordinary bloke. In stark contrast to the other ‘celebrity’ international who was Geoff Hurst, a more miserable and disinterested character you couldn’t expect to meet!!

Being such a nice bloke doesn’t make his son necessarily the best option for Latics though.

20 minutes ago, JED said:

Sadly died of prostate cancer after being a representative of the Prostate Cancer charity. My son and I met him at Wembley after one of Jeff Stelling’s marathon walks as one of 2 ex-international players giving us a medal, and he was a true gentleman- very pleasant and just an ordinary bloke. In stark contrast to the other ‘celebrity’ international who was Geoff Hurst, a more miserable and disinterested character you couldn’t expect to meet!!

Being such a nice bloke doesn’t make his son necessarily the best option for Latics though.

I once had the displeasure of speaking to "Sir" Geoff Hurst in a previous job roll, horrid man. Never meet your heroes eh!? 

1 hour ago, RoytonLatics said:

I once had the displeasure of speaking to "Sir" Geoff Hurst in a previous job roll, horrid man

Seemed nice enough signing autographs on the top floor of Middleton Arndale Centre when I was a youngster. Think they had the 'dulux dog' the week after which many found more appealing.

5 hours ago, parigby said:

I remember seeing his dad play against us one wet November night at Scunthorpe as a scrawny young kid ( l think Keegan might have been in the side as well - but might have got one wrong ). Which ever half it was, we gave him hell for every single minute (and by we, l mean us lot behind the goal ). He looked terrified most of the half.

I think we won 3 - 2, but again could be wrong.

Our 3-2 win at Scunthorpe was in the 4th Division promotion season (1970-71) and was a midweek match played on 1 September. Clemence couldn't have played in that one as he had moved to Liverpool in 1967. Keegan definitely played in the match however.

We drew 1-1 at Scunthorpe on 15 November 1966, also a midweek game, Frank Large our goalscorer. I think that's more likely to be the game in question.

Edited by Summerdeep

3 hours ago, RoytonLatics said:

I once had the displeasure of speaking to "Sir" Geoff Hurst in a previous job roll, horrid man. Never meet your heroes eh!? 

Went to see him at a speaking engagement in Evesham a few years ago. Forever a legend, of course, given his playing career. However on the night he was quite spiky and a bit arrogant in the Q&A with the audience. I came away thinking, he didn’t really need to be quite so unpleasant.

2 hours ago, Longlostfan said:

Seemed nice enough signing autographs on the top floor of Middleton Arndale Centre when I was a youngster. Think they had the 'dulux dog' the week after which many found more appealing.

I remember getting his autograph there, wonder if it was the same day!