The Next Oldham Manager

12 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

Can't be Clemence, surely? They've already been down this route

Jimmy Frizzell, Joe Royle, Iain Dowie, Lee Johnson had little coaching experience when they took over and did okay.

Yes, we have others similar who have been crap but there is no guarantee that an experienced manager will be a hit.

It's pot luck.

10 minutes ago, Boyyou said:

Jimmy Frizzell, Joe Royle, Iain Dowie, Lee Johnson had little coaching experience when they took over and did okay.

Yes, we have others similar who have been crap but there is no guarantee that an experienced manager will be a hit.

It's pot luck.

They all worked in completely different circumstances too. Appointing an inexperienced rookie after having just sacked an inexperienced rookie wouldn't be great would it?

16 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

I don't really get this "needs to be experienced in this division". If he does manage to get us promoted will we be looking to sack and employ someone with League 2 experience ?  

If you can set up a team and manage you can certainly do it anywhere at our level.

preferably been a manager before is on my list tho

28 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

I don't really get this "needs to be experienced in this division". If he does manage to get us promoted will we be looking to sack and employ someone with League 2 experience ?  

If you can set up a team and manage you can certainly do it anywhere at our level.

I think if we want to kick on this season, having experience of this league already will be a huge benefit. If not, you are effector asking someone to learn on the job (again). Depends whether we want an instant or long term response. 

Edited by LightDN123

"The club can confirm that Steve Thompson will take interim charge of first-team matters while a recruitment process is conducted."

Would have thought any "recruitment process" would take longer than a couple of days? I'd be surprised if they already had someone lined up already  (which, if Clemence, must surely have already been in place?) the way Frank had been so defensive of Unsworth.

4 minutes ago, True Tic said:

I agree, it’s always a gamble whoever you pick but there’s what I’d call safer gambles 

Is there such a thing as a safer gamble?

We've had the likes of Neil Warnock without success.

It's all about the right fit. Luke Williams didn't have a great time at Swindon, but it clicked at Notts County. 

I'm not saying Clemence should be the one, although he does have good experience as a first team coach at some big clubs. Whoever we get will be a risk. It's  the nature of the game. But I wouldn't rule out the likes of Clemence cos he hasn't managed at this level. A good coach should be able to get a tune out of this squad. DU clearly wasn't.

Pinning my trust in the board getting it right and will back the new man with an open mind.

1 minute ago, Andy-latic said:

Back out to evens now and Clarke into 2/1, means nothing at this stage until someone goes to about 1/20 or suspended.

Bookies trying to tempt people who follow the money.

As you say, 1/20 or suspended is when you know the Latics board have piled in!

18 minutes ago, Boyyou said:

Is there such a thing as a safer gamble?

We've had the likes of Neil Warnock without success.

It's all about the right fit. Luke Williams didn't have a great time at Swindon, but it clicked at Notts County. 

I'm not saying Clemence should be the one, although he does have good experience as a first team coach at some big clubs. Whoever we get will be a risk. It's  the nature of the game. But I wouldn't rule out the likes of Clemence cos he hasn't managed at this level. A good coach should be able to get a tune out of this squad. DU clearly wasn't.

Pinning my trust in the board getting it right and will back the new man with an open mind.

Absolutely, no guarantees with anyone, he’s a fair pedigree as a player  along with his dad, just struck me as a bit similar to Unsworth at a glance but who knows. Maybe Thompson will see this as a possibility for him