The Next Oldham Manager

Just now, Lags said:

Never heard this, not even on here. I know Harry went on a trial, that was common knowledge however never heard or read anywhere that Harry turned down joining there full time. Can anyone share the link to this?

might be the Madella Effect but l think the words actually come from Harrys own mouth.

he went on trial, they liked him, offered money but Harry said No, academy Football is no help to me at this stage.

l get this isnt what you asked for, before you repeat yourself.

again, lm suprised at this.

2 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

aye. not for you, obviously. but for everybody else who just remembers it like a normal person.

Normal is subjective.

I am sure someone will point me to the reporting of these events. It's how knowledge is gained.

11 hours ago, latics22 said:

If we win the 3 next games, that would mean they have won 5 out of 5 if that happens they should 💯be given the job. 

Short termism, next three games are against Kidderminster, Wealdstone and Maidenhead. All in the bottom half of the division, all likely to remain there. Let's have a proper appointment process and choose the best person for the job.

• Like 6

Just now, Lags said:

In this instance, did you listen to Harry and remember this?

read it in the times l think. altho l can seem to remember a floodlit pitch in the background, so it may have been on the player or l was at BP when l read it.

all the effort youve put into this you could probably have found it for yourself using less

5 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

read it in the times l think. altho l can seem to remember a floodlit pitch in the background, so it may have been on the player or l was at BP when l read it.

all the effort youve put into this you could probably have found it for yourself using less

I have googled it....so this is why I've turned to the OWTB oracle hoping someone to post a link. You're right though am I sure I could channel my energies elsewhere in more important stuff.

Edited by Lags
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

might be the Madella Effect but l think the words actually come from Harrys own mouth.

he went on trial, they liked him, offered money but Harry said No, academy Football is no help to me at this stage.

l get this isnt what you asked for, before you repeat yourself.

again, lm suprised at this.

Keith Curle said it at the meet the manager event in August 2021 ahead of the opening game...

• Like 1

21 hours ago, wiseowl said:

Had we got rid of DU when we should have done (last season for me), I think we would have been pressing towards the top of the league with a regular 7,000 plus home support now. Unsworth held us back terribly - no doubt about that.

You can't say this for sure. I agree in so far as the appointment of DU has held the project back, with the benefit of hindsight and giving it a fair chance to play out. But there is no suggestion sacking him early last season was the correct call then. Personally, I think DU, love him or hate him, deserves a little credit for turning round an inherited squad that was bloated and simply not good enough in mid season to go on and finish the season with a sense of optimism. Whatever your thoughts on him, he achieved that much however way you look at it and deserved the start of this season. Clearly what we've seen is he was plainly unfit for the project and thankfully, that became apparent enough before we're too far into the season.

There is nothing to say any new appointment will guarantee success, and even the most successful of managers can have stinking starts to life in a new job. Wellens at Doncaster springs to mind. As does Mike Williamson at Gateshead who without a promotion behind him from NLN, could have easily got the sack last Christmas.

I suppose the bottom line is, all managers deserve an adequate amount of time to demonstrate they're fit for a role.

• Like 9

3 hours ago, Hemel latic said:

Short termism, next three games are against Kidderminster, Wealdstone and Maidenhead. All in the bottom half of the division, all likely to remain there. Let's have a proper appointment process and choose the best person for the job.

Away matches has long been an Achilles heel for us. We've a dreadful record and apart from Barnet last season, our few wins came against bottom-half teams. Once we've played these, it should be a better yardstick to judge from than the cannon fodder we've dispatched at home. Intriged to see how ST sets up against these.

2 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Keith Curle said it at the meet the manager event in August 2021 ahead of the opening game...

2 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

floodlit pit/sunny pitch same difference.

the mouth of Harry/mouth of Keef same difference!!!

lm at the stage now where l havent got the RAM for both the information and the source!!!

thank you tho.

42 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

If he wants the job then I don't see the point looking elsewhere unless it is for someone radically different in style.

I’m with you, he knows the team, Redders and Murray are part of our fabric. He’s been around the squad and knows who he can and can’t rely on. 

These 3 will definitely get us into the playoffs…

Edited by Lukers1

Now he’s thrown his hat in and says he definitely wants it I’d be surprised if they don’t give it him.

Personally I’d like to go for someone with managerial experience, with Williamson at Gateshead my choice if there was any chance of getting him.

Thompson seems popular, and things look a lot better than a week ago, so if he gets the gig let’s hope the wins keep on coming, but I have a nagging doubt and I’m not so sure.

26 minutes ago, PeteG said:

As I said after Saturday, I wouldn't be opposed to giving it to ST but I certainly wouldn't be giving him a contract longer than the end of the season just because we've won 3 games.

Aye.

All managers should be on one year rolling contracts with a minimum target, as long as they hit it- they automatically trigger another year. 

• Like 1

I'm presuming he feels they may be swaying towards a new man given him going all in during the post match interview yesterday, if it was Mellon, Clarke or Williamson I'd still favour one of those three. If it was Clemence or someone else wanting their first go at it I'd be disappointed. He's done himself no harm but if he continues to keep selecting Shelton and Nuttall I'd begin to get worried.

• Like 1