The Next Oldham Manager

When I'm recruiting we don't tell the other candidates they've been unsuccessful until our preferred candidate has accepted the job. I don't expect the club are any different. It has to be right they told Thompson he hadn't got it before any wider announcement, his decision how to deal with that. There might be an announcement this afternoon, perhaps there are negotiations taking place if the new appointment is a current manager which might delay the announcement.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LightDN123 said:

Ideally I want Williamson long term but he wouldn’t last with our fans. Have to adapt. 

You do know Gateshead are the second highest scorers in the league with 34 goals this season and got to Wembley last season...I think our fans could suffer similar...

2 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

You do know Gateshead are the second highest scorers in the league with 34 goals this season and got to Wembley last season...I think our fans could suffer similar...

You do know that Gateshead have got players who can pass a football and not Sheron, Shelton, Hogan, Reid, Fondop, Nuttall who treat the football like a hot potatoe and couldn’t trap a bag of cement ? 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, LightDN123 said:

You do know that Gateshead have got players who can pass a football and not Sheron, Shelton, Hogan, Reid, Fondop, Nuttall who treat the football like a hot potatoe and couldn’t trap a bag of cement ? 

And according to Reid, gobby lads. Nowt wrong with that on a pitch providing the football played backs it up.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lags said:

And according to Reid, gobby lads. Nowt wrong with that on a pitch providing the football played backs it up.

Would love to watch a gobby team who play like they do honestly. Our pitch is made for it also.

I was seriously impressed with Notts County last year and how they played. No matter the pressure or time in the match, they rarely knocked it long and just waited for the correct moment to pass forward and looked a proper team. Far better than Wrexham, which is being shown in the current season. (Wrexham just had the quality players to drag them through). 

Honestly, we string 3 passes together at Boundary Park and people moan that no every pass has gone forward. 

Dave Bradley, I love his contribution to the podcast and phone in and respect him for that. However, I was stood behind him at the Kidderminster away game and all he would do is continually shout pass forward at the top of his lungs. It’s ridiculous and embarrassing. 

1 hour ago, LaticsLegend said:

I think the point he's making is instilling a style such as his will take time to reap it's rewards and results, and that our fans have little patience.

Ofcourse but any style that amy manager wants to implement will. I think with someone like that you will see a shift to a more expansive style which will lead to more goals but also some daft goals conceded by playing out from the back if we persist with it we would likely cut out the mistakes abd make it work so I'd be more than happy to have that put in place.

1 hour ago, GlossopLatic said:

The Cowleys are after the Sheffield Wednesday job it suggests they are aiming somewhat higher than Oldham. We are currently mid table in the national league the candidates available reflect that.

Dan Cowley

It is highly unlikely Cowley will get the Wednesday job. I certainly hope he doesn't as I fear it would be managerial career suicide. I think the Cowleys would be a perfect choice for Bradford City. If not there Gillingham is another good opportunity.

But my fear is a month from now all those vacancies will have been filled and the Cowleys will still be sitting at home, nine months  plus since they left Pompey.

Oldham Athletic sitting mid-table in the fifth tier is a great situation to take over. I could see the Cowleys being very interested in building something at Boundary Park as they did at Sincil Bank. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LaticMark said:

"The Oldham Times understands that he (Thompson) will not be returning to his original role with the club."

www.theoldhamtimes.co.uk/sport/23850411.steve-thompson-neil-redfearn

Thanks I did miss it :) 

It's such a shame that he steps in to help and then that ruins it for his actual role. If he stayed put,  would this have happened?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ROKERITE said:

It is highly unlikely Cowley will get the Wednesday job. I certainly hope he doesn't as I fear it would be managerial career suicide. I think the Cowleys would be a perfect choice for Bradford City. If not there Gillingham is another good opportunity.

But my fear is a month from now all those vacancies will have been filled and the Cowleys will still be sitting at home, nine months  plus since they left Pompey.

Oldham Athletic sitting mid-table in the fifth tier is a great situation to take over. I could see the Cowleys being very interested in building something at Boundary Park as they did at Sincil Bank. 

Not sure they would be too keen on going back down to the 5th tier again the fact their name isn't in the frame suggests that they aren't interested they will have known about the position being vacant and applicants being invited to apply.

1 hour ago, ROKERITE said:

Disagree. They’ve done that, could well think they’ve nothing to prove at this level, and there are always League jobs coming up. I could believe that it would be a desperation mentality for them to go for us.

However..,,.I wouldn’t say no 😁

1 hour ago, LightDN123 said:

Honestly, we string 3 passes together at Boundary Park and people moan that no every pass has gone forward. 

Obviously not with a sweeping brush but I feel a lot of this is stemmed from the frustration that for the most part we don't string 2 passes together, get out played and invariably lose. 

Edited by Lags

15 minutes ago, Lags said:

Obviously not with a sweeping brush but I feel a lot of this is stemmed from the frustration that for the most part we don't string 2 passes together, get out played and invariably lose. 

Perhaps. I found it interesting what Alex Reid was saying last night. Unsy wanted us to play forward at every opportunity (not what the players did), which can be counter productive as you risk losing the ball. 

He mentioned ST was a lot more calculated in his approach, which meant the players could be slower in the build up, I think we did see that. 

Maybe the fact the players felt under Unsy they had to get the ball forward led to them panicking on the ball and us not retaining possession? 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Perhaps. I found it interesting what Alex Reid was saying last night. Unsy wanted us to play forward at every opportunity (not what the players did), which can be counter productive as you risk losing the ball. 

He mentioned ST was a lot more calculated in his approach, which meant the players could be slower in the build up, I think we did see that. 

Maybe the fact the players felt under Unsy they had to get the ball forward led to them panicking on the ball and us not retaining possession? 

Fair enough but it was his job to sort it and he didn't That's why he had to go.

6 minutes ago, diggleblue said:

No reason for us not to be told now who the new man is unless the new man hasn't put his signature on the offer

Or its Parky?Interesting.

He wouldn’t be the new man until he has put his signature on the offer, 

Thats the reason! 

7 minutes ago, diggleblue said:

No reason for us not to be told now who the new man is unless the new man hasn't put his signature on the offer

Or its Parky?Interesting.

Is this parky fella worth a punt ? Bowyers record doesn’t look too bad I have to say 

Supporting this club in recent years feels like one constant waiting game, waiting for another new manager, or that next player who’ll make us click, or the next win, or a new owner, a club statement to clarify something. It’s bloody hard work . 

• Like 3

Just now, True Tic said:

Supporting this club in recent years feels like one constant waiting game, waiting for another new manager, or that next player who’ll make us click, or the next win, or a new owner, a club statement to clarify something. It’s bloody hard work . 

It really is. 

1 minute ago, True Tic said:

Yep, and when do go a run it’s just get out of the shit of our own making. 

• Like 1

All seems a bit of a mess this. Why tell ST he hasn't got the job until you've got the new man in? We now look like going into an FA Cup tie with an interim for the interim in charge. There's been a split with regards to who the manager should be, it will be 4 weeks on Saturday since Unsworth was sacked. They need to get a grip of the situation and get the new man in asap now. Imo they dithered getting rid of Unsworth and are now compounding the error. Can you be confident they will really get the man the board wants now and if not will he get the support, backing and time Unsworth was afforded? We are in danger of setting up the next man to fail.