The Next Oldham Manager

6 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Meaning if he hasn’t seen him play too much he won’t know that he’s our best striker by a country mile and that if he were to get better service would probably be a 30 a season player!

And if he doesn't get better service?  Does he use his alleged experience and quality to try and make things happen?

14 minutes ago, JoeP said:

And if he doesn't get better service?  Does he use his alleged experience and quality to try and make things happen?

I know where you’re coming from Joe. 

There seems to be a narrative of - he’s so good we just have to supply him. 

Two points.

He’s missed more than he’s scored. So I think the supply line is a bit of a myth. 

Why does his game escape analysis? It’s like saying- he doesn’t have to do anything because we couldn’t supply him today. 

For me- he’s a quality player- but he’s coasting/not always contributing at times. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bobledgersheart said:

He's a forward, they rely on wingers and midfielders to create chances !

Well he's not always going to get it in a team of poor players, so he might as well have Saturday afternoons off..

Anyway - been done to death on the other thread, so I'm out...

2 hours ago, LightDN123 said:

He’s on track to score just shy of 20 goals this season. That’s for a team that won 1 in the first 9 games. I am sure he will get more if he stays fit. 

Are you not happy with that ? Fucking hell. 

I never understand the ‘on target for x goals, points etc’ 

The season won’t mirror what’s happened so far for the rest of it. If it did there would be at least a dozen players scoring over 20 goals, which won’t happen.and we are ‘on track’ to finish 10th, which would be shite.

Im a Norwood fan, but I have to be honest, I was expecting more from him.

18 minutes ago, Steve_R said:

The season won’t mirror what’s happened so far for the rest of it. If it did there would be at least a dozen players scoring over 20 goals, which won’t happen.and we are ‘on track’ to finish 10th, which would be shite.

Hattrick on the first day of the season and you're on for 138 goals for the season...plus whatever you bag in the Cups!

I'm back in again, for info.

47 minutes ago, Steve_R said:

I get your point but how else do you contextual how good he’s doing ?

I think we would all agree 20 goals is very good return, especially when you consider we have rarely had a striker that’s hit that many in the last 10 years. Therefore, benchmarking his goal progress to date against achieving that seems a fair way to assess. 

He’s scoring one every 2.4 games currently, how about that ? 

20 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Only been to twelve … sorry. Part time supporter I know 🙄

I just find it baffling that we’ve finally got our capable 30 goal a season striker and fans are hell bent on highlighting his deficiencies.

He would walk into any 2nd division side and a fair few higher!!

It’s so bloody frustrating watching this dysfunctional team and playing in it must be a damn site worse.

Alongside a proper CF like a Vic Halom, a Jim Fryatt, or even a Matt Smith the guy would have field day.

Let’s just be thankful the board have shelled out the money to get a proven league striker to drop down and play his football in the 5th division!

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

I just find it baffling that we’ve finally got our capable 30 goal a season striker and fans are hell bent on highlighting his deficiencies.

It’s so bloody frustrating watching this dysfunctional team and playing in it must be a damn site worse.

Alongside a proper CF like a Vic Halom, a Jim Fryatt, or even a Matt Smith the guy would have field day.

Let’s just be thankful the board have shelled out the money to get a proven league striker to drop down and play his football in the 5th division!

I can’t comprehend it either. It’s winding me up a lot more than it should, but I can’t help but feel it’s self-sabotage. 

All the rubbish we have had player wise over the last 5 years and people are trying to find criticism in a player that is guaranteed goals, and he’s continuing to do that for us. I’d understand if he’s only scored 3 goals. He’s scored 3 in his last 5! 

It’s not like he’s only scored goals the last two years, he’s scored goals all his career 😂. But no, Mike Fondop should start ahead of him 😂😂

5 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

7 goals in 18 games (a goal every 200 minutes) is a fairly poor return… 

Reid by way of comparison has scored 4 in 12 (a goal every 104 minutes)

Ax I said, I have yet to see that Norwood …

Just to pull you up on this. It’s 7 goals in 17 games. 

Of those 17 games he was on the bench for 3. Of those 3 games he came on for 30mins, so let’s call it a game. 

So he actually scored 7 in 15 which is just shy of a 1 goal every 2 games ratio. 

Havnt we been looking for this type of striker for the last 10 years ? Even longer ? 

58 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

But it comes back to our good old friend - imbalance.

Norwood's drawbacks aside (and there are some, despite what a lot of people think..) - we've spunked a load of cash on a striker we can't supply.  To who's benefit is it him being here?  If he's going to do it all on his own, then fair enough - but he isn't the sort of player that works for the team - he wants the team to work for him.

I don't know what the crack is with Willoughby in particular - he knows where the net is at a slightly inferior level, but I think we would've been better spending Norwood's wages on a decent supply line rather than him.

His stats are alright, but he performs when the team does.  Which isn't often enough.

7 hours ago, rudemedic said:

Chesterfield and Rochdale spring to mind. His finish for what turned out to be the winner at Dale was as good as anything I've seen from an Oldham player this millennium.

That's absolutely ridiculous. He's dinked it over a keeper that is sliding out.

We've seen far better finishes this season, let alone this millennium  

22 hours ago, wiseowl said:

Calm down fellow wise bird! Laying into him? What are you on about? I think he will turn out well for us. This is often the problem with social media - people can mis-interpret what you say. You've certainly exhibited the art of hyperbole in your response. 

I'`ve always said DU was poor and that any half-decent manager would get a decent tune out of this squad. My mate fluffy has raised the issue a few times now, that perhaps the players are just crap and it wasn't all down to DU's management. I was pondering the point as there could be something in it. I then explained that we'd had considerable unsettlement behind the scenes (i.e. DU and his assistant, then Paul Murray, then MM, then Brabin) in a very short space of time. In other words, it might take a little while for MM to steady the ship after all the rapid changes.

Some fans I speak to ARE already not happy and say we should have stuck with ST and Redders until the end of the season. Personally, I have supported MM in my responses to them but I can understand their sentiments. So, MM has my full support but there's no doubting the sense (from some) of wanting to see a change in our play soonest.

Personally, I think we've had a shit show around managers and interims, ever since John Sheridan was publicly backed following the takeover. We then had the expensive acquisition of the ex-Everton boys, stayed loyal to them for too long, had a big fall out with ST and Redders (who did a good interim job for us) and now have MM and Brabin.

We've always craved stability - and, boy, do we need to have it for a while now. So, to clarify Worcester - MM has my support. It is however a board of opinions - and some people don't have the same as me - or you. 

You said "there's no doubt we have regressed under MM (as against ST/Redders)". No doubt? Really? Well let's see. ST was in charge for six games and his three wins came against the three teams currently propping up the NL. He then drew three, two of which were against teams only a few places higher. By contrast MM has had three league games - three - two of which were against teams in the top 10, including a local derby. It became clearer with every game that ST and NR were not about to effect a miraculous transformation in performances. 

To talk of a guy "regressing" after three games is utter nonsense. As for your comment that "you can sense the seeds of discontent being sown already", if that's true, it says more about some of our fans than it does about MM. More likely, you're gaslighting.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oafc1955 said:

30! Bloody hell, he was only getting 20 a minute ago.

Let’s hope you’re right, but there are players scoring more in shitter teams than us.

Like I’ve said before, I’m a Norwood fan, but there is some merit in what Joe P and others are saying

Anyway, when he’s got his 20 (or 30) and we’re chasing Chesterfield down we’ll all be happy and agree he’s a  good ‘un.

13 minutes ago, JoeP said:

we've spunked a load of cash on a striker we can't supply. 

And whose fault is that, and what do we do about it? Cut our losses and sell him? I think that would be plain stupid.

I reckon we should bring in a proper No.9 who can bring out the best in him personally!

2 minutes ago, Steve_R said:

30! Bloody hell, he was only getting 20 a minute ago.

Let’s hope you’re right, but there are players scoring more in shitter teams than us.

Like I’ve said before, I’m a Norwood fan, but there is some merit in what Joe P and others are saying

Anyway, when he’s got his 20 (or 30) and we’re chasing Chesterfield down we’ll all be happy and agree he’s a  good ‘un.

To get 30 he will need adequate assistance which I think you’ll find I’ve mentioned a time or two!

24 minutes ago, JoeP said:

But it comes back to our good old friend - imbalance.

Norwood's drawbacks aside (and there are some, despite what a lot of people think..) - we've spunked a load of cash on a striker we can't supply.  To who's benefit is it him being here?  If he's going to do it all on his own, then fair enough - but he isn't the sort of player that works for the team - he wants the team to work for him.

I don't know what the crack is with Willoughby in particular - he knows where the net is at a slightly inferior level, but I think we would've been better spending Norwood's wages on a decent supply line rather than him.

His stats are alright, but he performs when the team does.  Which isn't often enough.

You literally don’t make sense I’m sorry. 

We shouldn’t sign a top level striker because we don’t have players to suit one ? How can you justify posting this rubbish. 

Kurt has had his chances, it’s resulted in 0 goals. Nuttall has had chances, it’s resulted in 1 goal. Fondop has had chances it’s resulted in 0 goals. Reid had a purple patch and scored 4 goals. But you are questioning Norwood who has scored 7 as the issue and we shouldn’t have signed him ? 

The narrative he doesn’t work hard for the team is just a lazy dig. He works harder than any other striker we have. 

Edited by LightDN123

21 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

That's absolutely ridiculous. He's dinked it over a keeper that is sliding out.

We've seen far better finishes this season, let alone this millennium  

You mean like the screamers from Dickenson, Tollit  & Sheron. 
Course we have but that goal at Dale and the one at Chesterfield were proper poachers goals which is what he does best and what we actually brought him in to do!

19 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

You literally don’t make sense I’m sorry. 

We shouldn’t sign a top level striker because we don’t have players to suit one ? How can you justify posting this rubbish. 

Kurt has had his chances, it’s resulted in 0 goals. Nuttall has had chances, it’s resulted in 1 goal. Fondop has had chances it’s resulted in 0 goals. Reid had a purple patch and scored 4 goals. But you are questioning Norwood who has scored 7 as the issue and we shouldn’t have signed him ? 

The narrative he doesn’t work hard for the team is just a lazy dig. He works harder than any other striker we have. 

No need to apologise - I don't care if you don't think I'm making sense.  I also don't have to justify posting my "rubbish" to anyone.

I don't think Kurt has been given enough of a chance, for what it's worth.  Nuttall, I'll give you. 

I think we possibly could have used Norwood's wages to strengthen elsewhere so we have a more balanced team.

Just a different opinion - don't let it wind you up..