The Next Oldham Manager

20 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

You haven’t answered my question 

I don't know what the problem is. We will see in time

8 hours ago, kev1970 said:

Why do mangers seem to think they can get something out of nuttall he has been tried so many times it just does not work. Unsworth finally got it Thompson worked him out pretty quick and Mellons seems to want to keep trying I do not see the point it is just costing us.

He did OK last season goals wise

8 hours ago, wiseowl said:

It's a fair point that mcluff has raised.

For me, the fact we instantly went on an 8 game unbeaten run (including 5 wins) when DU was dismissed, spoke volumes. Unfortunately, we never got the chance to see how that would continue as we then binned ST/Redders after 6 of those games, Paul Murray held the reins for 1 (so essentially another ST/Redders victory) and MM won his first at Rochdale.

In other words, we've had a period of considerable unsettlement behind the scenes and that rarely bodes well. Presently, there's no doubt we have regressed under MM (as against ST/Redders). I`m trusting he will sort things sooner rather than later, though. He really needs to do because you can sense the seeds of discontent being sown already amongst some fans when chatting generally.

I don't think we've regressed, I think MM is trying to work out what he has. I'd disregard the results for a few games and hope the performances improve 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Worcester Owl said:

Absolutely unbelievable. He's been in charge for all of three games and you're already laying into him. Maybe we and MM should be grateful you weren't questioning him after the first match. Oh hang on, we won that one. 

Calm down fellow wise bird! Laying into him? What are you on about? I think he will turn out well for us. This is often the problem with social media - people can mis-interpret what you say. You've certainly exhibited the art of hyperbole in your response. 

I'`ve always said DU was poor and that any half-decent manager would get a decent tune out of this squad. My mate fluffy has raised the issue a few times now, that perhaps the players are just crap and it wasn't all down to DU's management. I was pondering the point as there could be something in it. I then explained that we'd had considerable unsettlement behind the scenes (i.e. DU and his assistant, then Paul Murray, then MM, then Brabin) in a very short space of time. In other words, it might take a little while for MM to steady the ship after all the rapid changes.

Some fans I speak to ARE already not happy and say we should have stuck with ST and Redders until the end of the season. Personally, I have supported MM in my responses to them but I can understand their sentiments. So, MM has my full support but there's no doubting the sense (from some) of wanting to see a change in our play soonest.

Personally, I think we've had a shit show around managers and interims, ever since John Sheridan was publicly backed following the takeover. We then had the expensive acquisition of the ex-Everton boys, stayed loyal to them for too long, had a big fall out with ST and Redders (who did a good interim job for us) and now have MM and Brabin.

We've always craved stability - and, boy, do we need to have it for a while now. So, to clarify Worcester - MM has my support. It is however a board of opinions - and some people don't have the same as me - or you. 

Edited by wiseowl
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, wiseowl said:

Calm down fellow wise bird! Laying into him? What are you on about? I think he will turn out well for us. This is often the problem with social media - people can mis-interpret what you say. You've certainly exhibited the art of hyperbole in your response. 

I'`ve always said DU was poor and that any half-decent manager would get a decent tune out of this squad. My mate fluffy has raised the issue a few times now, that perhaps the players are just crap and it wasn't all down to DU's management. I was pondering the point as there could be something in it. I then explained that we'd had considerable unsettlement behind the scenes (i.e. DU and his assistant, then Paul Murray, then MM, then Brabin) in a very short space of time. In other words, it might take a little while for MM to steady the ship after all the rapid changes.

Some fans I speak to ARE already not happy and say we should have stuck with ST and Redders until the end of the season. Personally, I have supported MM in my responses to them but I can understand their sentiments. So, MM has my full support but there's no doubting the sense (from some) of wanting to see a change in our play soonest.

Personally, I think we've had a shit show around managers and interims, ever since John Sheridan was publicly backed following the takeover. We then had the expensive acquisition of the ex-Everton boys, stayed loyal to them for too long, had a big fall out with ST and Redders (who did a good interim job for us) and now have MM and Brabin.

We've always craved stability - and, boy, do we need to have it for a while now. So, to clarify Worcester - MM has my support. It is however a board of opinions - and some people don't have the same as me - or you. 

A good post.

My only counter-arguments would be that Unsworth wasn't a good manager - and he's also at least partly responsible for the players we've signed and the imbalance we currently have in the squad.  As I've said before, I don't believe having different departments decide on incoming transfers is the way forward for us at the moment.  Get a manager in, let him and him only decide who to bring in with a team of scouts he trusts and then he's solely responsible.  Keep it old-school.  Doing it the way we have been doing it dilutes responsibility and blurs the lines of who's in charge.

I'm also not entirely convinced NR and ST would be doing any better than Mellon.  The performances went downhill pretty quickly after a promising start and the Dagenham and Redbridge game in particular reeked of classic Unsworth.

For me, Mellon gets the time Unsworth had and more to sort us out.  He's proved he knows what he's doing and can say what we wants in interviews, make pointless double subs in the 88th minute and play Chaddy the Owl in midfield at the moment if it helps him work out how to guide us out of this mess.  I'm not even going to start to judge him until he's had a fair crack in the transfer market and given time to sort us out - something which was always a risk doing with Unsworth because he was such an unknown and came with red flags before he even started.

Edited by JoeP
  • Like 5

My stance is MM needs 12/18 months minimum to show if he can make us into a side that can seriously challenge to get out of this league.

My only criticism to date is he seems to already have his favourites, and I'd like to see him give the likes of Raglan, Reid and Kurt some game time, as so far there are not many he has started who have pulled up any trees.

A fit Ward, Gardiner and Dickenson will give us more options in midfield, and a couple of smart additions should give him even more.

Also having a bloated squad isn't such a bad thing in this league. We showed last season after Christmas that we can pick up plenty of points, and I think a big reason for this was our squad depth compared to most clubs, bar County and Wrexham.

It wasnt Unsworths management for sure that influenced this, so lets not be too hasty about shipping the likes of Nuttall, Kurt etc out unless we are sure what we have is better.

Top 7 is still a good possibility in my view with an experienced manager at the head, even though at the moment it doesn't always look like it!

We are 6 points off 6th and 7 off 21st with 28 games to play....Long way to go....

46 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

My stance is MM needs 12/18 months minimum to show if he can make us into a side that can seriously challenge to get out of this league.

My only criticism to date is he seems to already have his favourites, and I'd like to see him give the likes of Raglan, Reid and Kurt some game time, as so far there are not many he has started who have pulled up any trees.

A fit Ward, Gardiner and Dickenson will give us more options in midfield, and a couple of smart additions should give him even more.

Also having a bloated squad isn't such a bad thing in this league. We showed last season after Christmas that we can pick up plenty of points, and I think a big reason for this was our squad depth compared to most clubs, bar County and Wrexham.

It wasnt Unsworths management for sure that influenced this, so lets not be too hasty about shipping the likes of Nuttall, Kurt etc out unless we are sure what we have is better.

Top 7 is still a good possibility in my view with an experienced manager at the head, even though at the moment it doesn't always look like it!

We are 6 points off 6th and 7 off 21st with 28 games to play....Long way to go....

Top 3 budget dictates that you don't get time to build though? Someone with his experience should be able to hit the ground running.

25 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Top 3 budget dictates that you don't get time to build though? Someone with his experience should be able to hit the ground running.

Possibly, but personally even if we get into the top 7 I don't think we are good enough to win the playoffs. The games at Woking and Barnet next week will give us a decent idea. Hope I'm wrong. 

8 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

Possibly, but personally even if we get into the top 7 I don't think we are good enough to win the playoffs. The games at Woking and Barnet next week will give us a decent idea. Hope I'm wrong. 

Ah.. the good old ‘Hope I’m wrong’ sentence returns - welcome back 😃

1 hour ago, Londonboy said:

Play offs is a raffle. If we get in them you never know. 

That’s when match winners like Norwood come in and make it count. Could kill off any team in this league on his day. 

Edited by LightDN123

6 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

That’s when match winners like Norwood come in and make it count. Could kill off any team in this league on his day. 

I think the playoffs being a raffle is a bit of a myth. If teams are fairly even then it is probably better to get in with a #LatePush than be in the mix all season but splutter towards the end. But as with last season if a team has dominated all but 1 in the division then that team usually goes up.

We've played our hardest game of the season, and by the end of the month we'll have played what looks like our second hardest game of the season too. I don't think there's any team we should be scared of in terms of getting a result. 

We have to make the playoffs for it to matter though. I think that is still quite likely. But it won't be MM's fault if we don't. 

4 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

I think the playoffs being a raffle is a bit of a myth. If teams are fairly even then it is probably better to get in with a #LatePush than be in the mix all season but splutter towards the end. But as with last season if a team has dominated all but 1 in the division then that team usually goes up.

We've played our hardest game of the season, and by the end of the month we'll have played what looks like our second hardest game of the season too. I don't think there's any team we should be scared of in terms of getting a result. 

We have to make the playoffs for it to matter though. I think that is still quite likely. But it won't be MM's fault if we don't. 

Difficult one to call re the playoffs, because one game we are on track then the next we fold. The best I’ve seen us in the last 18 months was under Thommo and even then we kind of went off the boil after a couple of games. I’m not sure if there is a winning formula with this squad, pedigree or not with some of them , they show me week after week why we aren’t competing for anything much this season. Mid table finish this season for me. Hope I’m wrong 🤞

2 hours ago, Londonboy said:

I agree but I think he'll do it quicker.

I get the feeling he's trying to get various systems/structures in place, in training and in matches, and then we'll see a few better players signed in January to complement 7 or 8 who by then will have already shown they can follow his instructions & get reasonable results.

I also agree we might not be good enough to be favourites to win the playoffs but might still scrape through in a some gloriously manky fashion.

Hope I'm right.....😀

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

I agree but I think he'll do it quicker.

I get the feeling he's trying to get various systems/structures in place, in training and in matches, and then we'll see a few better players signed in January to complement 7 or 8 who by then will have already shown they can follow his instructions & get reasonable results.

I also agree we might not be good enough to be favourites to win the playoffs but might still scrape through in a some gloriously manky fashion.

Hope I'm right.....😀

Totally agree with this. He'll be being methodical about these first few weeks. He's got 28 games to get his system and his team right and only a 4 point gap to recover to get into the play offs.

I reckon he's capable of getting us in there with momentum and form on our side.  No need to write off the season at all yet.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

I have yet to see the Norwood you describe in the above post... 

30 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Chesterfield and Rochdale spring to mind. His finish for what turned out to be the winner at Dale was as good as anything I've seen from an Oldham player this millennium.

His instincts to both stay on side and be first to ball after their Goalie's fumble at Chesterfield was excellent too. I'm not sure if he calls the offside Fondop away, but he was getting that ball first no matter what.

1 hour ago, True Tic said:

Difficult one to call re the playoffs, because one game we are on track then the next we fold. The best I’ve seen us in the last 18 months was under Thommo and even then we kind of went off the boil after a couple of games. I’m not sure if there is a winning formula with this squad, pedigree or not with some of them , they show me week after week why we aren’t competing for anything much this season. Mid table finish this season for me. Hope I’m wrong 🤞

Kt seems almost inconceivable to me that we won't finish higher than we did last season.  It's a small gap from there to the play-offs

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Kt seems almost inconceivable to me that we won't finish higher than we did last season.  It's a small gap from there to the play-offs

I really hope we do, I think I’m just jaded with the numerous false dawns of this season and I just can’t see much in the way of an enterprising spirit on the pitch. Any confidence seems very much cosmetic . I want MM to somehow get some proper belief Into the squad and hopefully add a couple to the ranks too. 

3 hours ago, LightDN123 said:

Play offs…

2 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

50 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Ive seen it about 7 times so far!

7 goals in 18 games (a goal every 200 minutes) is a fairly poor return… 

Reid by way of comparison has scored 4 in 12 (a goal every 104 minutes)

Ax I said, I have yet to see that Norwood …

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheBigDog said:

You are yet to see what Norwood ?

Hes our top goal scorer. What do you want to see from him ? 

1 hour ago, TheBigDog said:

He’s on track to score just shy of 20 goals this season. That’s for a team that won 1 in the first 9 games. I am sure he will get more if he stays fit. 

Are you not happy with that ? Fucking hell. 

39 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

He’s on track to score just shy of 20 goals this season. That’s for a team that won 1 in the first 9 games. I am sure he will get more if he stays fit. 

Are you not happy with that ? Fucking hell. 

There are FOURTEEN strikers in the National League who have scored more goals than Norwood this season.

I’m just pointing out that, if he is as good as some claim he is, he should be scoring more surely?

8 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

There are FOURTEEN strikers in the National League who have scored more goals than Norwood this season.

I’m just pointing out that, if he is as good as some claim he is, he should be scoring more surely?

Have you seen all our games this season?😆

Edited by oafc1955