The Next Oldham Manager

31 minutes ago, wiseowl said:

I give up. I don't even know what gaslighting is and can't be bothered to look it up. ST was unbeaten in 6 - MM has lost 2 out of 4. 

It means you have a gas hob and light it using a match.  The WORST of worst insults in some cultures...

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, wiseowl said:

I give up. I don't even know what gaslighting is and can't be bothered to look it up. ST was unbeaten in 6 - MM has lost 2 out of 4. 

I support MM and that needs no further clarification because I gave a lengthy response previously. You clearly enjoy being a drama queen.

Newport at home would be favourites against every National League side, with the possible exception of Chesterfield. They'd win 75% of those games.

But yes carry on using a cup game against a team in a higher league as a comparison.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

Quality of finish is pretty irrelevant as long as the ball ends ip in the net.

Do you honestly think, Reid, Fondop, or Nuttall would have got themselves into the right area to score those Norwood goals at Chesterfield & Rochdale?

Irrelevant points you're making now. OP said Norwoods finish against Rochdale was one of the best this millennium. I pointed out that's nowhere near correct

9 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

Newport at home would be favourites against every National League side, with the possible exception of Chesterfield. They'd win 75% of those games.

But yes carry on using a cup game against a team in a higher league as a comparison.

Nah, disagree.  They were rubbish and we (well, you know who...) should have scored twice and they were the best chances of the game for either side.

They come down and they're a mid-table National League side...

• Like 2

On 11/7/2023 at 3:10 PM, TheBigDog said:

7 goals in 18 games (a goal every 200 minutes) is a fairly poor return… 

Reid by way of comparison has scored 4 in 12 (a goal every 104 minutes)

Ax I said, I have yet to see that Norwood …

Bloke deserves a medal for scoring 7 with Shelton and Sheron behind him... 

8 hours ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Sheron is a good player for us. Only people who have never played footy think he's shit and the problem

I agree with the highlighted bit.

I hate the "people who've never played football can't have an opinion" line.  There could be a whole host of reasons why people haven't played football (or - like me - they're just shit at it!) and their opinions are as valid as anyone else's.  You don't have to have played the game to watch it - if you've watched enough of it your opinion hold's enough value as the next person.

1 hour ago, JoeP said:

I hate the "people who've never played football can't have an opinion" line.  There could be a whole host of reasons why people haven't played football (or - like me - they're just shit at it!) and their opinions are as valid as anyone else's.  You don't have to have played the game to watch it - if you've watched enough of it your opinion hold's enough value as the next person.

True, I've worked for managers who don't have much knowledge of the game.

Many fans have been observers for many years and know more about players than some football professional data base advisors who never leave their computers.

Edited by BP1960

10 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Of course your opinion is valid if you haven’t played, but it does help if you have- because you’ve experienced all the nuances of the game and it’s easier to read the game if you’ve had that experience. (I sat with a former pro once and he saw things in the game that had gone right over my head) 

It’s like anything- you can learn about something, but it’s not the same as when you’ve done what you’ve learnt about.  

Whether you have played the game or not, Sheron has been a constant figure in an Oldham team that struggles to control a game against some tin pot and at times, semi professional football sides. 

So it’s either his fault, or his other one/two midfield partners. Considering he’s a constant, he’s a huge part of the problem for me.

Doesn’t mean he doesn’t do the tracking, winning possession back side of things okay. But he struggles to play a forward pass, and he can’t take the ball in tight areas. Not good enough. 

47 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Of course your opinion is valid if you haven’t played, but it does help if you have- because you’ve experienced all the nuances of the game and it’s easier to read the game if you’ve had that experience. (I sat with a former pro once and he saw things in the game that had gone right over my head) 

It’s like anything- you can learn about something, but it’s not the same as when you’ve done what you’ve learnt about.  

Have you watched the Burnley documentary? I'm paraphrasing a bit, but Kompany talked about how he has multiple different systems and ways of playing and he is constantly tweaking things during a game. Most of which would not be noticeable to the average fan.

He also said it would take him months to get the players used to all those things, and if I remember right he said when interviewed soon after getting the job. They then went on to have a slow start under him for a few weeks then were motoring after that.

There's just so much more to the game than what the fan sees from the stands for 90 minutes a week.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Oh, yeah it does help if you have played of course.

Football isn't splitting the atom, though.  It's simple which is why so many people like it and while there might be a few intricacies that playing to a decent standard might open up your mind to - it is basically just about one team scoring more goals than the other!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Whether you have played the game or not, Sheron has been a constant figure in an Oldham team that struggles to control a game against some tin pot and at times, semi professional football sides. 

So it’s either his fault, or his other one/two midfield partners. Considering he’s a constant, he’s a huge part of the problem for me.

Doesn’t mean he doesn’t do the tracking, winning possession back side of things okay. But he struggles to play a forward pass, and he can’t take the ball in tight areas. Not good enough. 

I’m not getting into the specifics Norwood debate again, but you were quick to point out the other day- that fans keep wanting things from him that’s not his game. 

Yet you want from things from Sheron that isn’t his game. He can’t do the things you say, but if you play him he’s not in the side for that. He’s in the side to break up play and play a simple pass. (Which he can do) He’s also proved he has an eye for goal. With two outstanding finishes. 

As we both agreed on, you need a blend of players/qualities in a good side. Get a playmaker next to him and he’ll shine. (I think we won every game him and Gardener played) 

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Oh, yeah it does help if you have played of course.

Football isn't splitting the atom, though.  It's simple which is why so many people like it and while there might be a few intricacies that playing to a decent standard might open up your mind to - it is basically just about one team scoring more goals than the other!

I think this is right and wrong. Right in the sense that overcomplicating things is probably very common. However, I think it's also true that the basic way of managing at team at this level has changed. Coaching/tactics/analysis/performance/stats are all probably common place for many teams now. I'd imagine Mike Williamson at Gateshead would have had to do quite in depth tactics and systems to play football the way they did under him.

If we try to keep it old school we could end up falling behind teams we should be miles ahead of off and on the pitch. But it is a balance as if you go too far, you risk players not having the capacity to cope with it all.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, rudemedic said:

Meanwhile, you conveniently ignore the thrashing by lowly Fylde - possibly the worst performance I`ve ever seen from a Latics team (eclipsing Alty away last season). If ST had have been in charge for that match, I think the reaction would have been far more negative and vociferous. Newport was an insipid performance too.

I`ll repeat again, rude, MM has my full support but he's surely not immune from observation? There has been an initial regression. The defence is suddenly letting more goals in and we are losing games. We weren't under ST.

I genuinely expect a very strong home performance this weekend. MM/Brabin have now had time to have a real good look at what they have got and to stamp their authority on the squad (they seem that type). Upwards and onwards.

16 minutes ago, wiseowl said:

Meanwhile, you conveniently ignore the thrashing by lowly Fylde - possibly the worst performance I`ve ever seen from a Latics team (eclipsing Alty away last season).

Southend Away this season - Woking Away last season - Bromley Away this season…

Is the common theme that our worst performances tend to be away from BP?

45 minutes ago, wiseowl said:

Meanwhile, you conveniently ignore the thrashing by lowly Fylde - possibly the worst performance I`ve ever seen from a Latics team (eclipsing Alty away last season). If ST had have been in charge for that match, I think the reaction would have been far more negative and vociferous. Newport was an insipid performance too.

I`ll repeat again, rude, MM has my full support but he's surely not immune from observation? There has been an initial regression. The defence is suddenly letting more goals in and we are losing games. We weren't under ST.

I genuinely expect a very strong home performance this weekend. MM/Brabin have now had time to have a real good look at what they have got and to stamp their authority on the squad (they seem that type). Upwards and onwards.

You don’t seem to be taking opposition into account at all?

To be honest, 6 games for ST and 4 games for MM don’t feel like enough of a sample size for either to start seriously  assessing progression/regression. 

1 hour ago, League one forever said:

I’m not getting into the specifics Norwood debate again, but you were quick to point out the other day- that fans keep wanting things from him that’s not his game. 

Yet you want from things from Sheron that isn’t his game. He can’t do the things you say, but if you play him he’s not in the side for that. He’s in the side to break up play and play a simple pass. (Which he can do) He’s also proved he has an eye for goal. With two outstanding finishes. 

As we both agreed on, you need a blend of players/qualities in a good side. Get a playmaker next to him and he’ll shine. (I think we won every game him and Gardener played) 

You know what, I hope Sheron can be part of a successful Oldham team. 

He puts full effort into every game, he’s always available for selection and he genuinely seems to care.

Let’s see how we get on going forward. 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

You know what, I hope Sheron can be part of a successful Oldham team. 

He puts full effort into every game, he’s always available for selection and he genuinely seems to care.

Let’s see how we get on going forward. 

It's always worth a reminder he is the current Player's Player of the Year. He has never been dropped since he signed, he's played more games than any other Oldham player since he signed.. He has played CB, RB and CM, wherever he's been needed. Great clubman, good player too. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hemel latic said:

It's always worth a reminder he is the current Player's Player of the Year. He has never been dropped since he signed, he's played more games than any other Oldham player since he signed.. He has played CB, RB and CM, wherever he's been needed. Great clubman, good player too. 

He even played RM v Chesterfield at one point 😂

3 hours ago, wiseowl said:

Yes, we need to see some glimpses this weekend of some intent and and what’s to come from here. Can’t believe I’m saying this yet again to be honest. MM should be given full backing and support but in return we need some pay back on the field, and I’m not talking next season either. Apparently he’s Inherited some good players (although I do wonder sometimes) so let’s see what he can do. I have to say aswell , players these days seem devoid of any accountability. As several managers come and go from club to club (not just ours) squads often remain intact ready for another manager to carry the can. I’m not sure how you’d make them more accountable but you rarely hear much in the way of criticism levelled at players as a group. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

He even played RM v Chesterfield at one point 😂

His dad was a striker, up front next perhaps? As mentioned he's strong and can strike a ball well.🤔

Edited by BP1960