Does Norwood start v Oxford?

I'd start him from the bench for the 3 reasons and thinking about the message I'd be sending to the rest of the dressing room

1. It shows that no player is guaranteed a starting spot regardless of pedigree or reputation.

2. It rewards those who performed last night, again showing that if you fight for your place in the team you will be rewarded with more starts. Nuttall and Willoughby will know they have to be on their toes if Norwood is on the bench so that will drive them on.

3. We have had a discipline issue this season and have bee picking up too many preventable yellow cards. Norwood has picked up atleast 1 that was needless so it reminds them that by getting suspended you are not able to just walk straight back into the team.

Edited by GlossopLatic
  • Like 10

54 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

I'd start him from the bench for the 3 reasons and thinking about the message I'd be sending to the rest of the dressing room

1. It shows that no player is guaranteed a starting spot regardless of pedigree or reputation.

2. It rewards those who performed last night again showing thar if you fight for your place in the team you will be rewarded with more starts. Nuttall and Willoughby will know they have to ne on their toes if Norwood is on the bench so that will drive them.

3. We have had a discipline issue of picking up too many yellow cards this season Norwood has picked up atleast 1 that was needless so it reminds them that by getting suspended you are not able to just walk back in the team.

Very good points and hard to argue with them. Glad I am not making the decision. 

I think it highlights that we have to many strikers and we should look to ship one out. I think Fondop needs to be moved on out of the 5. 

56 minutes ago, Norewgian Gunnar said:

Shrek is right. Norwood would have started last night if not suspended. We have to start with our best and Norwood has proven quality. He has been probably very frustrated under DU tactics. Now he will surely have more chances and be supplied more. 

One would assume that he had a decent chat with Unsworth before he signed.  Given he's been a pro for fifteen years or so you'd have thought he'd have seen through it all

21 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

One would assume that he had a decent chat with Unsworth before he signed.  Given he's been a pro for fifteen years or so you'd have thought he'd have seen through it all

Unsworth was pretty good at talking bollocks!!😂

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, OAFC Blues said:

If it was another player I think I'd say stick with the goal scorers but Norwood is such a cut above, if we get him in the team when it's trending upwards, it'll build his confidence after the frustrating start and hopefully kickstart a golden boot challenge from him. 

Agree with this, I'd much rather give our best player a chance to get in form/gain some confidence than make some vague point about discipline 

Norwood and Nuttall shouldn't start as a two in the formation Thompson appears to favour, shoe horning square pegs in to round holes is how Unsworth got himself in to trouble. Based on last night Nuttall and Willoughby should start, it would be unfair to bench either of them in my opinion and those two linked up really well last night. 

Norwood is the best player in the squad but his ill discipline after 8 starts led to his ban and he shouldn't just be parachuted in to a winning team as it gives out the wrong message, same with Lundstrum if he's fit he needs to bide his time. If last night's eleven are fit they should be the starting line up on Saturday.

Same eleven for me with on the bench;

Norman

Raglan

Lundstrum 

Reid

Norwood 

Massive pressure to perform and keep the shirt but that's how it should be, quick turnaround after Oxford might see some fresh legs brought in for Kidderminster. 

*some 5 a side team that*

Edited by yarddog73
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, disjointed said:

Was good to see a goalkeeper on the bench last night, common sense prevailed. 

disagree with 5 subs and our squad. calcuated gamble.

DU didnt make enough subs so he might aswell have named a keeper. most daring thing he ever did l suppose 😔

l cant get my head around only using two subs, but thats why l post online about it l suppose

32 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Norman

Raglan

Lundstrum 

Reid

Norwood 

*some 5 a side team that*

That 5 a side comment made me smile. I'd always have a keeper on the bench, even with "only" 5 subs. Every chance a keeper could get injured or red carded in the first half, if you've no keeper on the bench you've pretty much written off the three points. Milan's keeper had to go off yesterday, admittedly in the second half, and the sub keeper made a great save late on.

Who was the last outfield player to play in goal for Oldham?   

1 minute ago, Hemel latic said:

That 5 a side comment made me smile. I'd always have a keeper on the bench, even with "only" 5 subs. Every chance a keeper could get injured or red carded in the first half, if you've no keeper on the bench you've pretty much written off the three points. Milan's keeper had to go off yesterday, admittedly in the second half, and the sub keeper made a great save late on.

Who was the last outfield player to play in goal for Oldham?   

Windass and before that Taylor. off the top of my head instant reply, prepared to have missed somebody!

Just now, Monty Burns said:

Windass and before that Taylor. off the top of my head instant reply, prepared to have missed somebody!

Windass would be my guess too but there may be a later occurrence. Outfield players in goal used to be something I loved, up there with dogs on the pitch and the orange balls in the snow. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

2. It rewards those who performed last night, again showing that if you fight for your place in the team you will be rewarded with more starts. Nuttall and Willoughby will know they have to be on their toes if Norwood is on the bench so that will drive them on.

3. We have had a discipline issue this season and have bee picking up too many preventable yellow cards. Norwood has picked up atleast 1 that was needless so it reminds them that by getting suspended you are not able to just walk straight back into the team.

A nice problem to have

More goal's will come from this principal being enforced 

37 minutes ago, aaronoafc said:

Imagine how many he can and will score in a team actually trying to win football matches. 

l have done repeatedly!!!

30 l usually settle on. but l was a striker so l like to pretend l know about sniffin out goals.

Edited by Monty Burns
spellin