Does Norwood start v Oxford?

1 hour ago, AlanGrovesFanClub said:

Oh I don't remember that Dave. I do remember one year in the old Div 2 that Ian Wright scored a really freak goal against us for Palace at Selhurst Park where he accidentally hit it with a massive amount of topspin and it looped over Goram's head in an astonishing arc. I should think you were there for that one too!

That may have been the lunchtime kick off one when we were one up late on but managed to lose.  I think the last time we won there was the year I was born! - Despite also playing there vs Charlton & Wimbledon

12 hours ago, AlanGrovesFanClub said:

Darren Beckford is the one I remember as doing a great job, but I’m sure there were others more recently, however…who was the last goalkeeper to come off the bench and play as an outfield player? I think Jon Hallworth was probably the only one to do it for us, for Joe Royle’s team in the second leg of the League Cup match v West Ham many years ago? We were 6-0 up from the first leg (St Valentine’s Day massacre) and were allowed 2 subs, so Joe chose a goalkeeper to guard against the risk of losing the keeper early on. We had 2 injuries and JH ended up playing in midfield. I think, that’s the way I remember it. Perhaps McFluffy thinks JR was a shit manager. 

It was Palace away when Hall worth came on as a forward.  Think it was about 95/96 season. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

Well....yeah but this is still Oldham Athletic right?

Things rarely go smoothly. Infact in life generally it's rare that there is a nice smooth straight road to success. I think we have to do abit more evolving before we are going to go up.

After what we've had to endure under Unsworth, I think we can take a deep breath and take stock.

Whatever will be, will be

• Like 1

Personally I think I'd have to start Norwood if he's 100% fit with a rejuvinated Nuttall, against with due respect a bunch of semi pro's.

I'd also start Kurt ahead of Dickenson on the left of midfield for this game, with him becoming a 3rd forward when we are attacking and get on the front foot from the start.

However Oxford City will be no pushovers, and Saturday will probably be one of the biggest games many of their squad have played in. 

Since losing their first 3 games they are unbeaten in 7, and have drawn their last 4 away games at Halifax, Maidenhead, Solihull and Eastleigh. 

They seem a bit like Dorking last season, scoring plenty but conceeding plenty, so Norwoods experience should mean that if we can create plenty of chances for him he should put a few away.

Reid is unlucky to be on the bench but his time will come, and if Kurt begins to fade after an hour he's a great option to bring on.

• Like 1

It's nice to be able to say, at last, "I`ll trust the manager to pick the correct starting line-up - and trust him to make the right changes, at the right time, if things aren't going to plan."

That's partly what managers are paid to do.

29 minutes ago, wiseowl said:

It's nice to be able to say, at last, "I`ll trust the manager to pick the correct starting line-up - and trust him to make the right changes, at the right time, if things aren't going to plan."

totally agree. Unsy and ebrell were god awful and THE problem results didn’t come. A simple tactic with squad used if we are drawing or behind. That in itself will return a fair chunk of points in next few games 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, wiseowl said:

He did only use two subs on Tuesday, not a criticism in this instance as understand when winning, but it was something Unsy would always do even when we needed a goal! Totally bizzare. 

6 hours ago, AlanGrovesFanClub said:

No need to worry Monty, I'm very often wrong and happy to admit that!

what a rare and admirable quality. we only really learn through being wrong so if you have adopted this mantra most of your life then you probably aren't a bitter olde man 😎

Kudos.

is it saturday yet?

Start Norwood and Nuttall. Nuttall target man. Norwood playing off his flick-ons/passes. Aldershot showed what Nuttall can do when he gets the ball into him and releases Norwood. 

Bring the other two off the bench if we need to change anything. I feel Reid up top coming on against tired legs is exciting. 

51 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

what a rare and admirable quality. we only really learn through being wrong so if you have adopted this mantra most of your life then you probably aren't a bitter olde man 😎

Kudos.

is it saturday yet?

Hi Monty, thank you, I'm definitely old but hopefully not bitter! It's not Saturday yet, but if I can remember I'll remind you on the day...

• Like 1

Why would anyone possibly want to start Willoughby in midfield when he performed so well in his favoured position on Tuesday, if he starts he plays in the role on Tuesday or left or right of a striker in a front three. He can't play left midfield that has to be either Dickenson or Ward or Hope or Tollitt.

I'm also not a fan of playing Nuttall, Fondop and Norwood in any permutation as a two, you need the graft and pace angle that Reid and Willoughby provide and defenders at this level hate, for me in a two it has to be one from Nuttall, Fondop or Norwood alongside one from Willoughby or Reid. I think the manager likes this combination to and it was one of Unsworths main downfalls.

Personally with the five strikers we have at the club I feel that a Norwood and Reid partnership would be the most productive and give opposition defences the most to think about, unbelievably they probably haven't played more than a handful of minutes together but I could see that really clicking, that's no slight on Nuttall and Willoughby though who I thought put on the best forward display combined we've seen all season on Tuesday night. Plenty of games coming up so we could well see some changes in the frontline if for nothing else to save some legs.

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Is Lundstram now a left winger ? 

No he probably comes in for Gardner which is harsh but he is a younger version of Dan and has the ability to get up and down the pitch but provide much needed quality on the ball, personally I think he will start on the bench and be given well half hour or so. 

35 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

No he probably comes in for Gardner which is harsh but he is a younger version of Dan and has the ability to get up and down the pitch but provide much needed quality on the ball, personally I think he will start on the bench and be given well half hour or so. 

He will be on the bench for certain. Excited to see Pirlo, I mean Lundstram play for us.

Joking aside, I have seen him a handful of times for Alti. I don’t see what others see in him. He’s a tidy central midfield players who will give us more control over games than the current options we have, but is he going to drastically change our midfield and make us more of an attacking threat ? I’m not so sure, I don’t see it. 

I would like to see him and Gardner in a midfield two, especially at home against the lesser teams. 

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

Dan did the 90 on Tuesday, but he was cramping up late on. Made me think that Lundstram starts on Saturday then Dan comes on after 60 or do. 

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

But who's gonna pass the ball to the advertising boards if Relegation Dan doesn't play?