Does Norwood start v Oxford?

39 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

It is. I also quite like the idea of Norwood sat on the bench with a point to prove. Like a rottweiler straining at the leash ready to go.

I think it's all going to level out nicely now

Everyone going in the same direction and hopefully a place in the play offs awaits us

Edited by Littlemoor Lad
Missing letter

3 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

disagree with 5 subs and our squad. calcuated gamble.

DU didnt make enough subs so he might aswell have named a keeper. most daring thing he ever did l suppose 😔

l cant get my head around only using two subs, but thats why l post online about it l suppose

How many subs did we use last night Monty, goalkeepers are part of your spine, essential to have support. 

22 minutes ago, disjointed said:

How many subs did we use last night Monty, goalkeepers are part of your spine, essential to have support. 

thats what lm sayin, we should use all three subs every match. especially with this squad.

in fine margin land if you never pick a goalie sub and always make three subs then youll pick up bonus points thru being fresher, stronger for a long time before you need to get josh windass to ring his dad for twenty mins!

10 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

thats what lm sayin, we should use all three subs every match. especially with this squad.

in fine margin land if you never pick a goalie sub and always make three subs then youll pick up bonus points thru being fresher, stronger for a long time before you need to get josh windass to ring his dad for twenty mins!

Only being allowed 3 subs in a match why wouldn't you have a goalie on the bench, it might be different if you were only allowed 3 on the bench, could never understand putting 4 strikers on the bench when you are only allowed 3 substitutions. Anyway that's all behind us now. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, disjointed said:

Only being allowed 3 subs in a match why wouldn't you have a goalie on the bench, it might be different if you were only allowed 3 on the bench, could never understand putting 4 strikers on the bench when you are only allowed 3 substitutions. Anyway that's all behind us now. 

yeah four strikers is totally ridiculous, lm not advocating for that.

l just always look for ways to gain a % here n there and in non league its a risk ld take. 

4 hours ago, Hemel latic said:

That 5 a side comment made me smile. I'd always have a keeper on the bench, even with "only" 5 subs. Every chance a keeper could get injured or red carded in the first half, if you've no keeper on the bench you've pretty much written off the three points. Milan's keeper had to go off yesterday, admittedly in the second half, and the sub keeper made a great save late on.

Who was the last outfield player to play in goal for Oldham?   

Darren Beckford is the one I remember as doing a great job, but I’m sure there were others more recently, however…who was the last goalkeeper to come off the bench and play as an outfield player? I think Jon Hallworth was probably the only one to do it for us, for Joe Royle’s team in the second leg of the League Cup match v West Ham many years ago? We were 6-0 up from the first leg (St Valentine’s Day massacre) and were allowed 2 subs, so Joe chose a goalkeeper to guard against the risk of losing the keeper early on. We had 2 injuries and JH ended up playing in midfield. I think, that’s the way I remember it. Perhaps McFluffy thinks JR was a shit manager. 

45 minutes ago, AlanGrovesFanClub said:

Darren Beckford is the one I remember as doing a great job, but I’m sure there were others more recently, however…who was the last goalkeeper to come off the bench and play as an outfield player? I think Jon Hallworth was probably the only one to do it for us, for Joe Royle’s team in the second leg of the League Cup match v West Ham many years ago? We were 6-0 up from the first leg (St Valentine’s Day massacre) and were allowed 2 subs, so Joe chose a goalkeeper to guard against the risk of losing the keeper early on. We had 2 injuries and JH ended up playing in midfield. I think, that’s the way I remember it. Perhaps McFluffy thinks JR was a shit manager. 

Any reason you're bringing me into it?

Not really a fan of Nuttall , but he needs to start with either Reid or Willoughby as for reasons already stated. We were slagging Unsworth off for dropping players even when they played well & now everybody wants to do the same. Yes Norwood is a good player but needs to fight for his place. What incentive does it give to the others if they're dropped just because Norwood is available and he plays . 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, AlanGrovesFanClub said:

Sorry AG but Hallworth  started the match in goal at Upton Park so not that game. It was Andy Rhodes who was one of the two subs but wasn’t called on to play. 

In the days before subs it’s possible that an injured keeper might end up playing out (hand injury maybe) but I’ve not got any details of such.

10 hours ago, AlanGrovesFanClub said:

did you slege downhill to the match and ride home afterwards downhill in glorious sunshine?

6 minutes ago, LaticsPete said:

Sorry AG but Hallworth  started the match in goal at Upton Park so not that game. It was Andy Rhodes who was one of the two subs but wasn’t called on to play. 

In the days before subs it’s possible that an injured keeper might end up playing out (hand injury maybe) but I’ve not got any details of such.

l was a bit worried about my post above, but l don't need to be now 🤣

11 minutes ago, LaticsPete said:

Hallworth came on as an outfield sub at Selhurst v Palace, and missed a sitter 

8 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Hallworth came on as an outfield sub at Selhurst v Palace, and missed a sitter 

Oh I don't remember that Dave. I do remember one year in the old Div 2 that Ian Wright scored a really freak goal against us for Palace at Selhurst Park where he accidentally hit it with a massive amount of topspin and it looped over Goram's head in an astonishing arc. I should think you were there for that one too!

24 minutes ago, LaticsPete said:

Thank you for that Pete! I'm always happy to be corrected where necessary, which is quite often. I think that I was mixing up your actual facts with the actual facts that Dave Og added below to come up with my own created memory. So I was more or less right, in principle, within the confines of my own mind, whilst getting pretty much every detail wrong. My wife is used to this and always treats me kindly when it happens. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

did you slege downhill to the match and ride home afterwards downhill in glorious sunshine?

I don't think so Monty but, as has already been established by others, my far far away detail memory is not what it used to be. From what I recall, I went to all the London matches by train, bus and underground, although it's certainly true that the weather was very changeable some days!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

I think it's all going to level out nicely now

Everyone going in the same direction and hopefully a place in the play offs awaits us

Well....yeah but this is still Oldham Athletic right?

Things rarely go smoothly. Infact in life generally it's rare that there is a nice smooth straight road to success. I think we have to do abit more evolving before we are going to go up.

Edited by GlossopLatic