Rochdale Scramble?

18 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

l don't even see it as a derby! 

dale have defo got some ladz tho, especially for us.

remember Hulk Hogan gettin arrested at  Dale?

I don't see it as a derby.  I don't think I've even known Dale to sing a song when we've played them.  Ever.  They bring nothing to the party.

Acknowledging this as a derby is an admission of how tinpot we've become, which I refuse to do.  It's temporary.  They should enjoy playing us while it lasts.  Natural order will be restored soon.

Yes - Hulk Hogan was arrested for, well, being Hulk Hogan!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JoeP said:

I don't see it as a derby.  I don't think I've even known Dale to sing a song when we've played them.  Ever.  They bring nothing to the party.

Acknowledging this as a derby is an admission of how tinpot we've become, which I refuse to do.  It's temporary.  They should enjoy playing us while it lasts.  Natural order will be restored soon.

Surely the numbers going contradict this? 

Last week we played Alty-approx 1500 went even after POTD was announced. This week over 3000 going and tickets sold out for weeks.

Fail to see it has anything in your words to do with being"tinpot" as we have played them in various leagues over many years and it has always been seen as a 'derby match'.

You could look up the definition if you still disagree.

10 minutes ago, JoeP said:

they came to BP once when the lookers stand was a festering mess and sung WHAAAAT THE FUCKINELL IS THAT

thats the best tbeyve ever done

3 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

Last week we played Alty-approx 1500 went even after POTD was announced. This week over 3000 going and tickets sold out for weeks.

Fail to see it has anything in your words to do with being"tinpot" as we have played them in various leagues over many years and it has always been seen as a 'derby match'.

he will be in the Nile like me.

our derbies are city, united, leeds, huddersield, barnsley, liverpool, blackburn etc

l suppose Wrexham too off the pitch.

35 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

Meh, in my head our "derbies" are with United and City (who, in reality would view derbies with us much in the same way I'm saying we should view the derby with Rochdale...).  I dislike Wigan more than Rochdale.

Anyway, it wasn't supposed to be that deep - apologies if my light-hearted poke at Rochdale offended you.

53 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

I think we are talking about different types of derby.

no we arent its just l dont care but l was raised as a united fan in mcr so that might be it.

l'm bringing an 11,10 and 8 year old and they all think like you. the eldest lives in Hyde and hes jus msgd me from the bus up there singing Norwoods on fire.

l dont encourage them to support us, its just happenning au natrel.

1 hour ago, JoeP said:

Derbies are determined by nothing more than geographical proximity.

• Like 3

Whether we like it or not, Rochdale are one of our main rivals currently. The clubs have issued multiple statements about the fixture, which doesn’t happen for any other fixture, and it’s pretty high risk for trouble with it being 20 mins on the tram etc. 

I personally don’t care about Rochdale and don’t have any feelings towards them, and don’t see them as big rivals, but of course I still want to win badly. I missed the days were it was the likes of Burnley and Blackburn as our main rivals, for me that’d be the likes of Huddersfield, Tranmere, Leeds etc, who I dislike far more than little old Rochdale. 

We do however have a fairly large amount of young fans, who definitely see Rochdale as our biggest fixture though, and thats the same their end also. 

6 minutes ago, Lags said:

Am old school  Bolton, Burnley and Blackburn are our local derbies that actually mattered.

I think we're sort of in limbo, due us not really playing any of those lot that much over the last 30 years.  They were all on the way up as we were on the way down.

I don't think Bolton or Blackburn are that bothered by us - certainly not the new wave fans.  Word on the street (i.e a bloke in work who supports Burnley...) is Burnley aren't very happy with us because we sent them down in about 1998 (? - 3-3.  Rocket Ronnie scored.  They brought about 6k) and our fans took the piss...

It goes United, City, Wigan, Sheff United for me.  I'm also developing a new dislike for Wrexham.  Not really fussed about anyone else.

1 hour ago, JoeP said:

Meh, in my head our "derbies" are with United and City (who, in reality would view derbies with us much in the same way I'm saying we should view the derby with Rochdale...).  I dislike Wigan more than Rochdale

Jeez Joe. 😂

I’m for all bigging us up. . . 

But United and City would see us and Rochdale as exactly the same- small fry and not even in the conversation of  a Derby. 

A Derby only exists on relative parity. When we climb again, it’s much more realistic to say Wigan, Bolton, Huddersfield are genuine derbies. 

Being close to one another makes it a derby but it's whether there is a bitter rivalry that makes it feisty.

I have mates who are Rochdale fans and any I have spoke to are genuinely supportive towards our team.

There is a lot of interest because it is a local team and the banter that goes with it with my mates, but it's only the idiots trying to build it up into something it's not.

Cardiff and Swansea or Newcastle and Sunderland now they have hatred towards one another.

12 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Jeez Joe. 😂

I’m for all bigging us up. . . 

But United and City would see us and Rochdale as exactly the same- small fry and not even in the conversation of  a Derby. 

A Derby only exists on relative parity. When we climb again, it’s much more realistic to say Wigan, Bolton, Huddersfield are genuine derbies. 

I know - I did say that.  When I first started supporting Latics, they were the teams we were mixing it with, so that's the bar for me.

It's slightly different when the smaller team is bitter towards a bigger team because there's obvious resentment, but we're a bigger team being bitter towards a smaller team with Rochdale who don't even care about us!  It just seems a bit odd...

Edited by JoeP
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Derbies are determined by nothing more than geographical proximity.

Well, it's not that often I find myself agreeing with @deyres42 lol, but he's hit the back of the net this time.

Boundary Park is a 20 minute drive/6 miles from Spotland. It's a derby. Yes, of course some derbies are more passionate/frenetic/hostile than others, but Rochdale v Oldham is a derby.

At the moment, they are big rivals, yes. They are 10th in the table, 2 points off the play-offs, which is where we want to be.

12 minutes ago, JoeP said:

I know - I did say that.  When I first started supporting Latics, they were the teams we were mixing it with, so that's the bar for me.

It's slightly different when the smaller team is bitter towards a bigger team because there's obvious resentment, but we're a bigger team being bitter towards a smaller team with Rochdale who don't even care about us!  It just seems a bit odd...

Do you think a derby relies on real competition? 

Burnley used to a be derby that I loved. But if we got them in the cup now, it wouldn’t be anywhere near as good for me because of the gulf in class. They might as well be anyone. 

11 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Burnley used to a be derby that I loved. But if we got them in the cup now, it wouldn’t be anywhere near as good for me because of the gulf in class. They might as well be anyone. 

When I started watching in the late 60's, Dale was definitely our main derby. 

1 minute ago, whittles left foot said:

Not at all.

On a similar lighthearted note you and a few others are obviously not old enough to remember the Oldham Chron Rose Bowl games!

😂

We remain holders, if I'm not mistaken.  Pride of place in the trophy cabinet next to the Second Division title and the Ford Fair Play League trophies!

16 minutes ago, League one forever said:

There's a bit of that, I think.  Most of the proper derbies are between similar sized clubs.