Rochdale Scramble?

2 hours ago, disjointed said:

When I started watching in the late 60's, Dale was definitely our main derby. 

We were in the same divison for pretty much every season from 46/47 to 62/63. Since then, only 10 seasons (11 incl. this one) in the 60 years since.

5 hours ago, deyres42 said:

Derbies are determined by nothing more than geographical proximity.

Agreed. I also get what people are saying about the "rivalry". Rochdale is undoubtedly a derby but I have a soft spot for the place as I eat a lot of curry on Milkstone Road - best for many miles around. It's a bit like when we used to play Stockport - big day out for us but their fans never got it and didn't bring many to ours. 

For pure animosity you will never beat our derbies with Bolton (Blackburn a close second) in the past.

That said, I was once in Wrexham when Shrewsbury were playing them. Never seen such a group of big, hard lads as the crew Shrewsbury took there - who'd have thought it?! Not massive numbers but you wouldn't have wanted to mess with them - and they certainly pasted Wrexham's thugs that day.

• Like 1

On the derby thing. One of the things that gets slightly under my skin is we don’t have a bone fide proper rivalry with a single club. I’d love to have a seething hatred for another club. If Bolton or Burnley was located 4-5 miles away it would be fucking ace. Really petty shit going on all the time like wing mirrors getting snapped every other night, dogshit wrapped in paper and set alight outside someone’s house. Adverts getting posted in the classified sections of papers spelling out a straightener in thinly veiled code.

Imagine that.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, JoeP said:

There's a bit of that, I think.  Most of the proper derbies are between similar sized clubs.

That’s it for me. 

Dale away was laughable for years. Today I want to hammer them. If we drift apart again, it will be become a nothing game again. 

Derbies are predicted on geography but more importantly- relative parity. 

Rochdale play United or City - I'm routing for Rochdale.

We need a club for a rival who we want to lose every game, whoever they're playing and they feel the same way about us.

Maybe we need to put the feelers out. 

"Rival wanted!  We're willing to hate you if you hate us back!"

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

On the derby thing. One of the things that gets slightly under my skin is we don’t have a bone fide proper rivalry with a single club. I’d love to have a seething hatred for another club. If Bolton or Burnley was located 4-5 miles away it would be fucking ace. Really petty shit going on all the time like wing mirrors getting snapped every other night, dogshit wrapped in paper and set alight outside someone’s house. Adverts getting posted in the classified sections of papers spelling out a straightener in thinly veiled code.

Imagine that.

I think our rivalries with Bolton and Burnley would crank up if we played at the same level as them for a sustained period of time. The rivalry with Rochdale has cranked up abit In the last 10 years but again maybe there should be more needle in this I can't bring myself to hate Rochdale.

The closest thing I think to a rivalry in the last 30 years is Tranmere Rovers but we are what 40 miles from them? Not many of us have to face a tranmere fan at work on Monday if we get beat by them but I still feel their is abit of needle in those games. But that said we've appointed there former manager this week and there former star striker plays for us and knowone is really concerned by that in fact most are on board with it.

I look somewhat envious at those clubs like Preston and Blackpool Burnley and Blackburn and wish we kind of that kind of rivalry.

That said the tickets for this sold out in a heartbeat and its probably the fixture we all looked for first when they came out. I think both ourselves and Dale will be challenging at the top of the league this season and if we met them in the play offs at the end of the season it could be very tasty, looking round the national league right now I'm not seeing a bigger Derby than this one.

Edited by GlossopLatic
  • Like 1

Post-top flight, I've found Wigan more dislikeable than anyone else.

As with Rochdale, I don't find Tranmere particularly offensive.  Like us, they're fighting the good fight and their fans seem alright for the most part...

I remember us playing Tranmere at home a few years back - Jason McAteer was playing for them and I think their manager's son scored (a penalty?) for them. Great atmosphere that day, decent attendance and it was all a bit hostile. Every time McAteer got the ball, our fans launched into a collective Harry Enfield scouser impersonation, it was so funny. To be fair, McAteer himself was laughing long before the end of the match! 

17 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

I remember us playing Tranmere at home a few years back - Jason McAteer was playing for them and I think their manager's son scored (a penalty?) for them. Great atmosphere that day, decent attendance and it was all a bit hostile. Every time McAteer got the ball, our fans launched into a collective Harry Enfield scouser impersonation, it was so funny. To be fair, McAteer himself was laughing long before the end of the match! 

There was always a bit of a thing with Tranmere, then Ronnie Moore really stoked it up every time we played them. He loved going on about how we didn’t like him and he didn’t like us, then there was that when his son was ‘signing’ for us.

Like many of us older ones, I grew up hating Bolton, and to a lesser extent (although not by much) Blackburn and that still won’t leave me to this day.
Nothing will ever come close to my lifelong hatred of those red bastards though.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Steve_R said:

There was always a bit of a thing with Tranmere, then Ronnie Moore really stoked it up every time we played them. He loved going on about how we didn’t like him and he didn’t like us, then there was that when his son was ‘signing’ for us.

Like many of us older ones, I grew up hating Bolton, and to a lesser extent (although not by much) Blackburn and that still won’t leave me to this day.
Nothing will ever come close to my lifelong hatred of those red bastards though.

Yes of course, it was Ian Thomas-Moore who scored, how could I forget his dad was managing Tranmere and as you say he loved trying to wind us up. 

Bolton were certainly massive rivals when I was growing up, and I hated Blackburn too, especially when Shearer was playing for them. I remember one game at Boundary Park where he tried to referee the entire game, and was winding up the crowd, totally obnoxious he was.

59 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

Yes of course, it was Ian Thomas-Moore who scored, how could I forget his dad was managing Tranmere and as you say he loved trying to wind us up. 

Bolton were certainly massive rivals when I was growing up, and I hated Blackburn too, especially when Shearer was playing for them. I remember one game at Boundary Park where he tried to referee the entire game, and was winding up the crowd, totally obnoxious he was.

To be fair to Ian Moore it was us more winding him up by singing that his dad's a wanker and his mums a whore can't say I blamed him when he celebrated infront of us when he scored that penalty. That was Royles first game back in his second spell and we were beat 2-0 that one really hurt.

On the otherside of that the game in Feb 07 which was the first time Moore came back as Tranmere boss when we won with a late somewhat scrappy Porter lob which sent us top of league 1 that felt terrific the atmosphere at the end of that one was special though lt we were going up then, ironically it fell apart at that point.

You couldn't beat home games against Bolton in the early-to-mid 1970s for atmosphere. First time I ever saw huge numbers of away fans at Boundary Park was the opening game of the 1971-72 season v Bolton. I was heading towards the ground over Clayton Playing Fields from the Chadderton direction, and heard the strains of 'One Man Went To Mow' from about a quarter of a mile away - knew something was up as that wasn't a song you ever heard at BP!

That was surpassed by the January 1973 home game, when there was a crowd of 19,000 for the top of the table Third Division clash (there'd have been more, but quite a lot of fans were told by police that the game was called off due to fog, and went back home). For the Boxing Day 1975 match, there was a crowd of 25,137, I don't think the ground has seen an attendance of that size again to this day, has it?

Edited by Summerdeep

14 hours ago, JoeP said:

Rochdale play United or City - I'm routing for Rochdale.

We need a club for a rival who we want to lose every game, whoever they're playing and they feel the same way about us.

Maybe we need to put the feelers out. 

"Rival wanted!  We're willing to hate you if you hate us back!"

ABU anyone but united

• Like 1

On 10/21/2023 at 1:11 PM, GlossopLatic said:

To be fair to Ian Moore it was us more winding him up by singing that his dad's a wanker and his mums a whore can't say I blamed him when he celebrated infront of us when he scored that penalty. 

Hardly our fault that his mum and dad are that, is it? I don't see why we're getting the blame for that. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

really????

i dont do it out of respect and wanting to see the full match and l suppose not gettin hit from behind by some big hard bastard!!!

Me celebrating Earl Barrett's goal at Liverpool when in amongst their lot in our first top flight game for 64 years was probably a mistake...

2 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Me celebrating Earl Barrett's goal at Liverpool when in amongst their lot in our first top flight game for 64 years was probably a mistake...

lve just scrolled back thru my memory banks and l did it at blackpool in about '99.

hardly the same is it 🤣

3 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

lve just scrolled back thru my memory banks and l did it at blackpool in about '99.

hardly the same is it 🤣

It's all relative. I tried to strike up a conversation with my neighbour as my cover was blown, remarking that their young no. 7 (McMananam) looked useful.

Got some of that legendary Scouse wit in return:

F## off you C###

Probably as well we lost 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

It's all relative. I tried to strike up a conversation with my neighbour as my cover was blown, remarking that their young no. 7 (McMananam) looked useful.

Got some of that legendary Scouse wit in return:

F## off you C###

Probably as well we lost 

ever been to Madrid? lve found they have an intrinsic hatred of the English but if you get a real fan and say Steve MacManaMan they soften up and will broken English reply to your terrible Spanish