MATCH: Maidenhead United (H) 03/10/23

16 hours ago, Wardie said:

A turd! With the squad assembled? This squad, on paper, as the bookies confirmed, should be promotion candidates. Unsworth fucked it up, Thompson, as much as he has manged to get them initially playing better, is not a manager with a sense of identity. He is not the man to take charge, as much as I respect him, he just isn't up to it. We need someone with experience and a track record.

Let's face it, we ain't going anywhere this season, it's done, gone beyond us and a mid-table to maybe just missing the playoffs is on the cards.

Miracles do not happen.

It really isnt done. Top 3 needs to be the target and is very achievable.

8 minutes ago, League one forever said:

😂😂

So he’s on a par with a Sunday league player. . righto. 

He’s crap mate honestly. But you are more than entitled to have an opinion. 

He’s got an engine and is always available so managers will put faith in him for that alone. 

23 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

I didn't see last night so can't comment, but from what I have seen over the past few weeks, and heard from those that went last night, I'm sorry but the only identity I see, is us dropping deeper and deeper in the 2H of games inviting teams onto us.

Rome wasn't built in a day. Wealdstone was an issue and Thompson pointed that out, dropped Shelton and put a less than fit Lunstram in and the first half last night there was no low block defending.

Why did it happen again the second half? I dont know. Lundstram tiring and Shelton coming on? Sat/Tues caught us up? Reverting to Unsworth tactics when we tire? 4-4-2? A myriad of all those factors? 

Edited by LaticsEddie
4-4-2

1 hour ago, Norewgian Gunnar said:

Some reports are saying that the run of Tue/Sat games has caused a dip in form. All the other teams are in the same boat. A club of our size has far more resources to support the squad than most of the other clubs in this Division. Some even have part time players 

It's a great point. Reports that our pre season was less than adequate may hold water and theres no excuse for that. Also think playing 4-4-2 just invites pressure and forces you to play on the counter and teams even at this level know how to retain the ball and make the opposition move.

1 minute ago, LightDN123 said:

He’s crap mate honestly. But you are more than entitled to have an opinion. 

He’s got an engine and is always available so managers will put faith in him for that alone. 

We fixate a lot on what players can’t do, I accept his passing is poor. But he can tackle, (which a lot shy away from now) has a good engine, and doesn’t hide. He’s played in a side that’s gone 5 unbeaten, and to say he crap means we’re carrying him. I don’t think that’s the case. 

He’s a steady eddie in my view. You could argue is that enough, and that has merit. But what he does - he does well. 

Would you have him in the squad if/when he’s replaced? 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, League one forever said:

We fixate a lot on what players can’t do, I accept his passing is poor. But he can tackle, (which a lot shy away from now) has a good engine, and doesn’t hide. He’s played in a side that’s gone 5 unbeaten, and to say he crap means we’re carrying him. I don’t think that’s the case. 

He’s a steady eddie in my view. You could argue is that enough, and that has merit. But what he does - he does well. 

I would have him in the squad as he can cover CM, CB and RB.

He can also add energy to the midfield when we are looking flat. 

Other than that, he can become a long distance runner if he likes. 

28 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Player's Player of the Year 22/23, never been dropped, I don't think he's ever been subbed. Has played wherever we have needed him starting at centre half, playing right back and now centre mid. But he's dog sh1t apparently, get rid. I don't know...

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, League one forever said:

The game has moved on from carrying a player in the middle whose only attribute is tackling and running. His game invites pressure as he does not have the ability to take the ball on the turn and drive forward. So we just go backwards and then hoof it forward.

The main issue with this team is the midfield. I think he‘s ok playing the role Shelton is at the moment - coming on for 20mins at the end. But he should not be part of a starting eleven going for promotion.

18 minutes ago, Hemel latic said:

Player's Player of the Year 22/23, never been dropped, I don't think he's ever been subbed. Has played wherever we have needed him starting at centre half, playing right back and now centre mid. But he's dog sh1t apparently, get rid. I don't know...

He's a guy you play in midfield as a last resort, when you are down to the bare bones.

Someone so lacking in technical ability and spacial awareness shouldn't be playing in centre midfield for as long as he has, it is bizarre.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Wardie said:

A turd! With the squad assembled? This squad, on paper, as the bookies confirmed, should be promotion candidates. Unsworth fucked it up, Thompson, as much as he has manged to get them initially playing better, is not a manager with a sense of identity. He is not the man to take charge, as much as I respect him, he just isn't up to it. We need someone with experience and a track record.

Let's face it, we ain't going anywhere this season, it's done, gone beyond us and a mid-table to maybe just missing the playoffs is on the cards.

Miracles do not happen.

😂😂 

God there's some drama queens on here. Currently two points off the playoffs having not even had a good start to the season. In no way is it "done". A new manager and a run of results and we'll be right up there

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

He's a guy you play in midfield as a last resort, when you are down to the bare bones.

Someone so lacking in technical ability and spacial awareness shouldn't be playing in centre midfield for as long as he has, it is bizarre.

The players and manganemt all rate him, yet you don’t. . 

He’ll do for me. 😁

• Like 1

19 hours ago, deyres42 said:

Norwood a very expensive mistake, could have acquired 2-3 quality players in the positions they were needed in for the cost.

You could be right, but I do sympathise with Unsworth on this one. A striker wasn't needed, but there's no way he could have turned down the opportunity to sign Norwood...

You can call me crazy but (in the absence of a new signing) I`ll throw it out there having given it considered thought. For the next few games I would play Norwood in midfield. He's creative with the ball, retains it well and drives forward. Could be an excellent supply line for whoever we decide to combine up top.

Hopefully, he'll also chip in with a few himself. Presently not getting the best out of him in my opinion, so try something different. 

4 minutes ago, wiseowl said:

You can call me crazy but (in the absence of a new signing) I`ll throw it out there having given it considered thought. For the next few games I would play Norwood in midfield. He's creative with the ball, retains it well and drives forward. Could be an excellent supply line for whoever we decide to combine up top.

Hopefully, he'll also chip in with a few himself. Presently not getting the best out of him in my opinion, so try something different. 

He's a striker, I think he would tell Thompson to fuck off.

This thread is a reminder, as if one was needed, of what a mess we are in despite all the promise of stability and steady progress. The squad is completely unbalanced and  none of the key partnerships have been settled (ironically the only one for a long time was S&S which was clearly disastrous) 

I have honestly given up on this season as I think by the time a new manager has sorted out the mess and assembled a decent team and ethos the top few positions will have long gone (they probably have already) and we will at best have a shot at 6th or 7th…of course there is no reason why we couldn’t then somehow win the damn playoffs 😀

In the meantime I am going to hibernate for the winter and take a look at the table in early March

2 hours ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

😂😂 

God there's some drama queens on here. Currently two points off the playoffs having not even had a good start to the season. In no way is it "done". A new manager and a run of results and we'll be right up there

Mightily pissed off with that second half collapse last night when a win would have them in the playoff positions and a great springboard to carry on. You can't underestimate what results like last night can do. Two points off the playoffs is much better than where Latics would have been under Unsworth but the need to get this situation sorted with manager and players is something the club has to get over the line as soon as possible.

Even after a night's sleep and some reflection on the game, I am still not convinced the season will end in success. Better than last season, yes, but not what we all want and maybe expected, given the hype which has proved to be bullshit.

5 hours ago, doctor evil said:

Depends how we want to play, I'd be happy to play those 3 if we're going to try to go direct. I'd like us to dominate the ball a bit more and having someone who could step into midfield might allow us to keep the ball a bit more.

have you even been watching Hobson??? he's your man for that

no good Sheron 'stepping into midfield' just to give the ball away 🤣

Raglan can also play.

3 minutes ago, sjk2008 said:

If you are referring to Shelton, he’s worse. So I refer you back to my original point.

That makes no sense though. 

He has and is keeping others out of the side, which by implication means he’s doing a job. 

As someone pointed out. 

Won players player of the year, keeps others out of the side, played every game under 3 different managers,  can play a number of positions if needed. 

If that’s your version of shit, then fine. But it ain’t mine. 

36 minutes ago, Ritchierich said:

This thread is a reminder, as if one was needed, of what a mess we are in despite all the promise of stability and steady progress. The squad is completely unbalanced and  none of the key partnerships have been settled (ironically the only one for a long time was S&S which was clearly disastrous) 

I have honestly given up on this season as I think by the time a new manager has sorted out the mess and assembled a decent team and ethos the top few positions will have long gone (they probably have already) and we will at best have a shot at 6th or 7th…of course there is no reason why we couldn’t then somehow win the damn playoffs 😀

In the meantime I am going to hibernate for the winter and take a look at the table in early March

I don't think it is a mess or the season is over as some are suggesting.

A decision needs to be made on the manager after Saturday and then we need to strengthen in three or four positions, for me that would goalkeeper, right back and central midfield, at least one creative.

Disappointing night at the office. At one point were 1 goal outside the playoffs and looking to make ground on a few above us.

Lost a bit of ground with the last two results. Now 2/12/17 points off play off/ good play offs automatics was 2/10/15.

Next couple of weeks big for Thommo. See what he can do with some time on the training ground.

Be surprised if there is new personnel before a permanent manager but maybe there is a case for a loanee?