MATCH: Maidenhead United (H) 03/10/23

We don't create enough chances, it was a theme under unsworth and it hasn't improved, we've just played against garbage opposition since. There's very little link between the midfield and the forwards. That's why Norwood is constantly dropping deep, trying to get things moving forwards. We're constantly unbalanced in attack. We've got one very attacking full back and one full back that's a CB and looks completely lost when past the half way line. I've said it before that I don't think we can carry Sheron in a midfield 2. It just leaves too much work for the other cm, Lundstrum looked ok but again if I'm the opposition I just stick my men on him and let Sheron have the ball because he won't hurt me. We need an attacking RB and if Danny g isn't going to be fit another cm. Preferably an attacking one.

No denying that was a very poor showing at home. Two particular things baffled me :-

1) Why does the keeper constantly aim it towards a little huddle of players somewhere out to the left - who very rarely win it (that's if it doesn't go straight out of play !). Very basic - try another option FFS.

2) Why is Norwood being wasted chasing around in midfield or firing crosses in from the wing?

I was content with a point away on Saturday - certainly not content with a point at home tonight; that said they were by far the better team 2nd half.

2 minutes ago, wiseowl said:

No denying that was a very poor showing at home. Two particular things baffled me :-

1) Why does the keeper constantly aim it towards a little huddle of players somewhere out to the left - who very rarely win it (that's if it doesn't go straight out of play !). Very basic - try another option FFS.

2) Why is Norwood being wasted chasing around in midfield or firing crosses in from the wing?

I was content with a point away on Saturday - certainly not content with a point at home tonight; that said they were by far the better team 2nd half.

I have never understood why every player has to condense so much when the goalie kicks it.

If you notice when all the players move left Sutton stays on his own in acres of space and screams for the ball only for Hudson to wave to him to move in with every other player.

It keeps happening so why don't they both have a chat in training and either decide to kick it to him or not bother but stop doing it in matches as though they just thought of it that minute.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Oldham_till_i_die said:

Tonight was very underwhelming. I thought first half we were ok, had we have been ruthless infront of goal could’ve been 3-0 up at half time. Unfortunately that’s football and we were only 1-0 up so it was time to go again.

It seems to be a common theme that players drift out of the game in the second half, Green/Dickenson for example. Is it a fitness thing? Thought Hobson was excellent tonight as well as hogan who, in my opinion, has had some unfair comments tonight.

It’s unfortunate that Lundstram had to come off, and even more unfortunate that Gardner/Ward are injured because Shelton does not complement Sheron’s playstile whatsoever. When Lundstram can play 90 minutes every week I feel we will be a much better side. I thought Tollitt and Nuttall contributed absolutely nothing. I do feel like Mikey would’ve had a better impact on tonight’s sort of game. A dead game lacking aggression, tenacity and abit of quality and I know mikey is very capable of displaying those attributes whereas Nuttall simply looked disinterested. Norwood was disappointing. Sutton displayed some great quality at times and worked hard but too many basic errors for my liking. I do feel like the recent fixtures have distracted us from Thompson’s managerial weaknesses.

For me the recruitment process should start properly this week as I feel Thompson will be out of his depth come the tougher games (Dale, Alty(x2), Woking, Barnet)

Stand out for me is the total lack of numbers who so far this season have 90+ minutes of fitness in their legs for Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday fixtures….

Drive from central midfield, we have Gardner and Lundstram who so far have managed just 2 full games between them. 

Out wide, we have Green and Dickenson who often look goosed by half time yet the bench is usually geared towards freshening up the forwards when they themselves seem to tire after an hour. 

Ward is injured, Tollitt and Hope are bit part players and that’s about it, our squad depth is therefore unbalanced and lacking strength in key areas. 

If you want a striker to come off the bench and make an impact on the game, I would choose Fondop 100% of the time over Nuttall. 

• Like 11

Well that second half was a pile of shite, these players need a proper look at themselves, the way they are pampered all week like championship players is unreal, after watching Reid’s match day vlogs on tictok wow!! It’s unreal the set up before and after games this bunch get treated to, and some of them still can’t play 70mins of football without blowing out their areses it a pisstake!!

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, hollandspies said:

Stand out for me is the total lack of numbers who so far this season have 90+ minutes of fitness in their legs for Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday fixtures….

Drive from central midfield, we have Gardner and Lundstram who so far have managed just 2 full games between them. 

Out wide, we have Green and Dickenson who often look goosed by half time yet the bench is usually geared towards freshening up the forwards when they themselves seem to tire after an hour. 

Ward is injured, Tollitt and Hope are bit part players and that’s about it, our squad depth is therefore unbalanced and lacking strength in key areas. 

If you want a striker to come off the bench and make an impact on the game, I would choose Fondop 100% of the time over Nuttall. 

Yep, fondop would have rattled a couple of the teams we’ve struggled against recently. Nuttall sub was pointless. Fondop might have even been able to bring Norwood into play a bit more tonight. The ball sticks to him more than it does Nuttall. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, SpotTheBall85 said:

He hasn't set the world alight has he? Runs about alot and gets stuck in but not seen much else.

Just like the rest of the forwards we have , they cant do anything with no service . To Norwoods credit at least he looks for the ball and doesnt give it away cheaply.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Hogan telling his own fans to fuck off at full time, needs to concentrate on his game the fucking whopper.

3 hours ago, LightDN123 said:

Worst performance of the season that second half. Huge shame. 

What happened with hogan at FT? 

Anyone?

6 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

He’s a goalscorer and that’s why he was brought in….I think he was playing  under orders tonight and due to our inefficiencies spent most of the game in and around the centre circle!

He is certainly not a midfielder and if I was him I would be well pissed off!

He was conned into signing for us and Unsworth must have fed him an absolute load of bollocks!

He missed a sitter that would have sealed the game. Painfully slow.

There's no doubt that we made the right decision in getting rid of Unsworth, but that was an Unsworth-esque performance in the second-half.  It's like the players were so pleased, the extra impetus got gave them the extra motivation for the first couple of games, but now they've reverted back.  The dead cat has bounced.

The new manager isn't going to be able to turn this round quickly, unfortunately.

I'm not sure what the deal is with Norwood - I doubt he's getting the service he got at Barnsley, but any chances he does get he tends to miss.  I think the manager needs to ask him what style of play and what sort of players he needs around him to get him firing.  If we're not playing to his strengths, it's not beneficial to him or us him being here.

Hobson was outstanding again and Lundstram looks decent.  No one else got above 6/10.

• Like 2

A very disappointing evening. Low crowd, flat atmosphere (again) and the third poor performance on the bounce.

13 points from these 5 games would have been a fair target given the opposition and we’ve now fallen short of that. The squad is unbalanced, the players look unfit and we’re still unable to look after the football and create opportunities going forwards. Thankfully we have Hobson at the back who has prevented a few goals in recent games. 

We looked composed against York, decent for 45 mins against Oxford and have been crap since. It’s disappointing that we’re still churning out such abject performances given the investment in the squad. I think we’re at the stage where the manager decision needs to be made so we can crack on with getting a couple of players in key positions in. Thompson’s steadied the ship but he either needs backing or we need to get a new man in (which would be my preference).

• Like 4

1 hour ago, deyres42 said:

Interesting to see a few scales dropping from eyes regarding strength of squad.

Digging out Hudson, hilariously predictable from Yardy.

Sheron at fault twice for the goal which takes some doing.

Opinions my own and they are just that.

Hudson was shite, opposition scouting reports will tell you that so don't just take my word for it, expect teams to put it on him in the coming weeks, he was awful dealing with the high ball last night. He is a decent shot stopper but weak as piss and his distribution is atrocious. 

13 minutes ago, south east latic said:

A very disappointing evening. Low crowd, flat atmosphere (again) and the third poor performance on the bounce.

13 points from these 5 games would have been a fair target given the opposition and we’ve now fallen short of that. The squad is unbalanced, the players look unfit and we’re still unable to look after the football and create opportunities going forwards. Thankfully we have Hobson at the back who has prevented a few goals in recent games. 

We looked composed against York, decent for 45 mins against Oxford and have been crap since. It’s disappointing that we’re still churning out such abject performances given the investment in the squad. I think we’re at the stage where the manager decision needs to be made so we can crack on with getting a couple of players in key positions in. Thompson’s steadied the ship but he either needs backing or we need to get a new man in (which would be my preference).

This is about where I am at and have been since the weekend, what are the club waiting for?.

24 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Hudson was shite, opposition scouting reports will tell you that so don't just take my word for it, expect teams to put it on him in the coming weeks, he was awful dealing with the high ball last night. He is a decent shot stopper but weak as piss and his distribution is atrocious. 

Same as Norman then...

Still very disappointed with last night, but the reality is we are 2 points from playoffs and had we won, we would have been 7th.

We need to win the D&R game and then we need to make a decision either way in the manager situation. We need some players shifting and at least 2 more in.

Lundstram looks a player. The way he controls it and can actually pass. Only 70mins but he is technically very good for us. Just need to get rid of the donkey next to him now. 

I like Sutton, can you say that?   Think he will make a good career but it's asking too much for a lad to play with full confidence and prop up a wobbly team of senior staff.

Does anyone know what's happened to Rooney?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Still very disappointed with last night, but the reality is we are 2 points from playoffs and had we won, we would have been 7th.

We need to win the D&R game and then we need to make a decision either way in the manager situation. We need some players shifting and at least 2 more in.

Lundstram looks a player. The way he controls it and can actually pass. Only 70mins but he is technically very good for us. Just need to get rid of the donkey next to him now

Well that ain’t gonna happen after giving the “donkey” as you describe him a contract extension a few days ago.

4 minutes ago, Punce said:

I like Sutton, can you say that?   Think he will make a good career but it's asking too much for a lad to play with full confidence and prop up a wobbly team of senior staff.

Does anyone know what's happened to Rooney?

went to macclesfield about a month ago

• Thanks 1