MATCH: Maidenhead United (H) 03/10/23

7 minutes ago, Careca9 said:

he’s got a good enough track record to suggest the service isn’t the best and it’s not him. He needs to do more but we don’t make it easy. All our crosses come from left full back and rarely from the wingers and chances of a through ball from mid are non existent. I feel when midfield is sorted and we do boss games he’ll score a lot more. 

He seems to always be in the wrong place at the wrong time, still can’t figure out whether that’s him or the players around him . 

First half reasonable.    2nd half bloody awful.

they passed us off the park with little resistance, we just hoofed it upfront hoping

for something to happen.  Midfield too weak. 

Nuttall gave nothing as did Shelton.

Seemed like DU had returned.  Tommo not the answer.

So disappointing

37 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Hogan telling his own fans to fuck off at full time, needs to concentrate on his game the fucking whopper.

He is beyond useless, one of the weakest defenders I’ve ever seen. How the feck he is a professional footballer is beyond me, should be playing at NPL level at best

Just now, TJ1952 said:

First half reasonable.    2nd half bloody awful.

they passed us off the park with little resistance, we just hoofed it upfront hoping

for something to happen.  Midfield too weak. 

Nuttall gave nothing as did Shelton.

Seemed like DU had returned.  Tommo not the answer.

So disappointing

As much as he is better than Unsworth, Thompson is not the answer and as a caretaker, he never would be. We need someone with a track record and experience in management. Champions and promotion contenders do not concede like we did tonight, Chesterfield apart. :D 

43 minutes ago, BerlinBlue said:

We were good first half, and Norwood missed a very good chance to make it 2-0.

Second half was very poor. Midfield is weak, no idea why Sheron got another year contract. 
Lundstram will make us better, but we need another one like him.

21 minutes ago, Wardie said:

Thompson may have done relatively well, compared to Unsworth, but he doesn't have enough to take the team forward.

Can't make that judgement yet

5 minutes ago, Ritchierich said:

He is beyond useless, one of the weakest defenders I’ve ever seen. How the feck he is a professional footballer is beyond me, should be playing at NPL level at best

He's a good defender. Guarantee he's up there with most blocks in the league.

Just got in from work- and sounds like it was a poor performance. The squad is lob sided and you have to question the recruitment, we still have players out of position. Relying on Lundy to be a world beater in his first start, the same 8 or 9 starting every game because the replacements are deemed not good enough. 

Onto ST- 

He’s had 5 games unbeaten, and returned 11 points from 15. 

When did that become the sign of a shit manager?????? 

The players- 

No one is playing us or coming to our place to roll over. Quite the opposite- teams are running out at a great stadium for the level, and raising their game. Now we have to match that of course. But I really wish we could move past that the idea that everyone is shit and they shouldn’t be able to touch us. 

I also think this is what is happening to the players as well, they are believing their own hype and dropping off. Whether it’s ST or not moving forward the players have to realise they need to compete for 90 minutes if we’re going to get promoted. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, League one forever said:

Just got in from work- and sounds like it was a poor performance. The squad is lob sided and you have to question the recruitment, we still have players out of position. Relying on Lundy to be a world beater in his first start, the same 8 or 9 starting every game because the replacements are deemed not good enough. 

Onto ST- 

The players- 

No one is playing us or coming to our place to roll over. Quite the opposite- teams are running out at a great stadium for the level, and raising their game. Now we have to match that of course. But I really wish we could move past that the idea that everyone is shit and they shouldn’t be able to touch us. 

I also think this is what is happening to the players as well, they are believing their own hype and dropping off. Whether it’s ST or not moving forward the players have to realise they need to compete for 90 minutes if we’re going to get promoted. 

If a team is going to gain promotion, they do not concede to teams in the bottom four. Latics should be on 20pts now and sitting in seventh, they are not and that says it all. Weak team or mismanaged? Nuttall and Shelton should not have come on for Reid and Lundstrum and Tollitt is not up to the standard we need.

7 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Onto ST- 

The players- 

It's clear you are not seeing the performances at the minute, it's shite - really shite.

1 minute ago, League one forever said:

Onto ST- 

The players- 

I think it was the manner of the second half performance. I thought the switching off and standing off players had been addressed by ST. It clearly hasn’t. Lundstram looked tired but his replacement can’t be Shelton if we want to progress. It does appear that with each performance we are deteriorating. Also, can the coaches please ask the players to briefly look up before they make that “killer” pass ffs, time and time again it happens. They let go of it, either their teammate isn’t anticipating it or it’s over hit. 

11 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Can't make that judgement yet

He's a good defender. Guarantee he's up there with most blocks in the league.

He'll be up there as he's always out of position and diving in on his arse.

2 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

It's clear you are not seeing the performances at the minute, it's shite - really shite.

I’m not saying it isn’t. 

But it always comes back to ST when it’s more complex than that, and everyone goes quiet when I ask- 

Is 11 points from 15 a bad return from the manager. 

No one has the answer, because they know the answer. But they still want to mine into shite performances, when it’s clear as day the squad isn’t good enough for promotion yet. 

A lot of fans think this squad should be good enough for top two, and it’s nonsense. It’s a top ten or at a push top 7 squad. We have spent loads and mismanaged it. 

• Like 3

Tonight was very underwhelming. I thought first half we were ok, had we have been ruthless infront of goal could’ve been 3-0 up at half time. Unfortunately that’s football and we were only 1-0 up so it was time to go again.

It seems to be a common theme that players drift out of the game in the second half, Green/Dickenson for example. Is it a fitness thing? Thought Hobson was excellent tonight as well as hogan who, in my opinion, has had some unfair comments tonight.

It’s unfortunate that Lundstram had to come off, and even more unfortunate that Gardner/Ward are injured because Shelton does not complement Sheron’s playstile whatsoever. When Lundstram can play 90 minutes every week I feel we will be a much better side. I thought Tollitt and Nuttall contributed absolutely nothing. I do feel like Mikey would’ve had a better impact on tonight’s sort of game. A dead game lacking aggression, tenacity and abit of quality and I know mikey is very capable of displaying those attributes whereas Nuttall simply looked disinterested. Norwood was disappointing. Sutton displayed some great quality at times and worked hard but too many basic errors for my liking. I do feel like the recent fixtures have distracted us from Thompson’s managerial weaknesses.

For me the recruitment process should start properly this week as I feel Thompson will be out of his depth come the tougher games (Dale, Alty(x2), Woking, Barnet)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Wardie said:

If a team is going to gain promotion, they do not concede to teams in the bottom four.

. . and here in lies the problem. 

We want/expect promotion but have a centre half at right back. A centre mid playing his first start. The same 8 or 9 starting because the rest are deemed not good enough. 

Promotion winning sides have two quality players for every position. 

We have- 

No established right back. 
No cover for kitch.
Tollit not good enough to rest Dicky. 
Hope not good enough to rest green. 
One midfielder who can a pick a pass who’s always injured. 

To many strikers so no one can find any rhythm or build a partnership. 

We have some good players and on our day we can match anyone. But we are now where near the finished article that some think we should be. 

Top 7 - with this squad and it’s imbalance would be an achievement. 

Dress it up how you want- but 11 from 15 is moving towards that. 

• Like 2

So back to the game;

Hudson piss poor, weak as piss and his distribution is as bad as I've seen, anyone who thinks he's a better option than Norman is on spice. 4/10

Sutton goes from the sublime to the ridiculous, not a fullback but I suppose we all know that. 5/10

Hobson stand out defender again and didn't put a foot wrong. 7/10

Hogan won his fair share of aerial duels but he's limited, particularly on the ground and bringing the ball out. 5/10

Kitching started off really shaky, grew in to the game and put some lovely crosses in but his influence died off second half. 6/10

Green had moments but I'm still not convinced you'll get more than a decent 60 minutes out of him. 5/10

Sheron did his job well, all over the pitch and generally went about  his work efficiently. 6/10

Lundstrum tidy on the ball, looked better when he was prepared to drive us forward, I'm sure there will be more to come in both boxes. 7/10

Dickinson fucking awful, I'd of taken him off at half time as he contributed fuck all, looks unfit and way of the pace as the match went on. 3/10

Reid took his goal well and linked up well for the first third of the match, had less impact as the game went on but took his goal well, missed another sitter though. 7/10

Norwood I felt sorry for, he was dropping in to his own half an awful lot trying to get things going, almost played as a No 10 but that's not his game, desperately needs some service. 6/10

Subs literally made us worse and contributed fuck all. 2/10

I honestly can't see them giving it to Thompson, since Redfearn come in we've gone backwards and literally look like we haven't a clue at times, I'm worried for us going forward which I know sounds crazy on the back of five unbeaten, it's just the manner of the performances that irk me.

I hadn't realised that all the great manager's teams never played badly.

Even the team that wins the league will have bad games.

Why is Thommo suddenly not the man for the job, put some responsibility on the players. They stopped playing in the second half, it happens to all teams.

I know it's frustrating as we are playing catch-up but 3 wins and 2 draws is decent form.

8 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

I'll say it. Norwood was awful tonight

He’s a goalscorer and that’s why he was brought in….I think he was playing  under orders tonight and due to our inefficiencies spent most of the game in and around the centre circle!

He is certainly not a midfielder and if I was him I would be well pissed off!

He was conned into signing for us and Unsworth must have fed him an absolute load of bollocks!